Autumn

mint

You could use it to make vinegar, IF you have a 'mere', I think that is the sludge that forms at the bottom of vinegar bottles.

I wouldn't cook with bad wine either NH. However, I do make my beurre blanc with vinegar, so it would get used eventually sweet17[:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Yes, Norman, that was what I thought; hence the question in the hope that someone will say it's OK [:)]

BTW, please post Chaminade's "Automne"; my puter (or the operator of it) is not able to do it easily.

[/quote]

It is OK Sweet17

The food will taste like sh1t, but it is OK to eat - likewise any vinegar made with it.

[quote user="andyh4"]It is OK Sweet17

The food will taste like sh1t, but it is OK to eat - likewise any vinegar made with it.

[/quote]

What an obliging fellow you are, andy![:)]

If you asked enough people, you WILL get the answer you are looking for?

It's OK, it's gone down the plug hole; hope it doesn't harm the fosse.

Are you in the Ardeche today?  Is it seriously cold?

Norman, that was lovely singing.  Now I have learned something new this evening  Certainly didn't know any Dutch composer before.

As for Wools:

Invite a passing Brit round for a quick glass and tell him it is the most expensive of wines. He will lap it up and tell his friends what a connnardesewer you are!!!!!! 

Sorry, didn't see your post earlier. 

You know what, despite living in deepest Dordogneshire, I looked out for a passing Brit all day and didn't see one.  Anyway, I wouldn't know anything about house prices in the UK these days so any conversation might not have lasted very long?

But, as for connards, yes, there is one living just opposite the road and he is French.......gggrrrrrr...... 

What glorious singing!  Thank you.

Don't know about Verlaine though, or Rimbaud, come to that.  Don't know enough to form anything more than a somewhat superficial impression.  I think that you have to read them on a sunny day when all is going on well in your life so that you could combat the melancholy.

OTOH, they sometimes sound like Victorian ladies having the vapours [6]

Yeah, I know, I'm just insensitive and don't know better.....

On Autumn - we noticed travelling through France on 1st October, that autumn had indeed arrived: roadworks on many motorways and N roads, and there were people there working on them!

Autumn has continued in Burgundy, where council employees are out in force cleaning up grass verges, cutting trees and hedges and tidying public flower beds. And a road exit to our village that has been closed since last May with (apparently) no work being done on it, is suddenly full of lorries and workmen and purpose. Vive l'automne!

If today is typical of autumn, then I could be totally entranced by this season.

By 11 this morning, I was still sitting in the garden (as opposed to the veranda) in my PJs, feeling the sun warm on my back and the lively but warm and balmy breeze which smelt clean and felt benign.

I was doing sudoku, OH was doing cryptic crossword and Beethoven was on from the kitchen.

Norman (and anyone else interested) it was his concerto no 2 and the adagio is OH's absolute favourite.  With the English Chamber Orchestra but an old recording as it was conducted by MacKerras.

How good it felt to be alive![:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="andyh4"]It is OK Sweet17

[/quote]

What an obliging fellow you are, andy![:)]

If you asked enough people, you WILL get the answer you are looking for?

It's OK, it's gone down the plug hole; hope it doesn't harm the fosse.

Are you in the Ardeche today?  Is it seriously cold?

[/quote]

Yes here in the Ardeche.  One day was a tad chilly (+3C) and one morning of ground frost.

But autumn is now firmly here as you see in the market.  Gone are the apricots, grapes and peaches to be replaced by oranges, pears and apples.

mr lion,

Re your Gertrude Stein quote: I am reading a book by Ernest Hemingway that includes conversations he had with Gertrude Stein when he was living in Paris. She sounds like a horrible woman. 

Coming from the US, autumn for me was when the American football season started.

David

We drove back to England last week, and enjoyed some autumn colour on the drive back. This week we drove to Sheffield and back, and when the rain wasn't stopping us seeing very much (all the way on the trip up there on Monday, most of yesterday morning), we saw some beautiful autumn colour. On the return journey we drove via part of the Peak District; our passengers had never visited the area before, and were amazed at the beauty of it all, especially around Chatsworth where we had bright sunshine showing it all off to best advantage, with yellow and orange leaves on many trees and showering us as we drove.

The main signs of autumn in our garden are all the apples sitting rotting on the lawns; from the window it looks quite attractive, but outside the rot is very obvious and there's a strong smell of cider - the squirrels probably have permanent headaches just now!  [:)]

[quote user="andyh4"]

But autumn is now firmly here as you see in the market.  Gone are the apricots, grapes and peaches to be replaced by oranges, pears and apples.

[/quote]

That's one of the things I love about France, they won't let you forget about the different times of the year. Each one has it's own traditional things to buy.

You know it must be mid-Oct. because chrysanth. pots are in full swing. And it's the same every year.

Still no sign of autumn in the countryside here though.

I've had the most bizarre "encounter" with the weather today; don't know what else to call it.

I had to get to the other house this afternoon and it's only an hour away in normal circumstances.  Started off here in the Dordogne in more or less sunshine though you could see it clouding over.

Within about 15 - 20 minutes, the skies became threatening, great zig-zags of lightening forked and lit up the whole area for miles.  The thunder rumbled.  In about another 10 minutes or so, the rains lashed down.  It wasn't just buckets, it wasn't even barrels, it was as though someone was emptying those 1000-litre récupérateurs straight on to the roads.

Within minutes all the traffic ground to a crawl as nobody could see where they were going.  The roadwork lorries were parked about 10 long one after other, stopped in mid operation, those fauchage things that cut the grass verges had also stopped completely.

I struggled on, thinking back to the only time when I had seen such rain and that was in the tropics where lightning would streak across the surface of the roads and scared you to death.

After about 20 km and maybe 20 - 25 minutes, the skies were clearing.  Within another 5 to 10 minutes, I had to put on my sun glasses and get the visors down in the car.  I had to switch off the headlights, put the air-con on cool before I cooked to death.

It was utterly weird....