Another victory for common sense

bixy

This weekend sees the journées du patrimoine throughout France. We wanted to see something which is only open for this one afternoon in the whole year, which was today. We made our way by train to Dijon,  where we needed to catch a bus to the outskirts of the city. The Dijon bus drivers have been striking every Saturday for some time, but of course, as this was a special weekend with so many people travelling to the city to take part in the journées du patrimoine.... the bus drivers struck as usual. Well done them. There was a whole group of people hoping to travel to the same place who have been let down by these...what can I say... somewhat inconsiderate persons. They may well have a grievance but a gesture today would perhaps engender sympathy, rather than the opposite - contempt.

I write this as a life-long trade union member.

Patrick

We thought of doing so but a) it was a long way out of town and would have been very expensive, and b) we could not be sure of getting a taxi back. We had a train to catch at a certain time.

But actually that's not really the point....

The strike weapon continues to be abused, I am sorry to say, especially in the transport industry.

In this case, it would have been much more sensible foe the bus drivers to have made their protest by letting everyone travel free.

On the other hand, perhaps the bus workers themselves wanted to see the nice buildings on this single day a year, without being hindered by loads of smelly people to reduce their pleasure......!

• 1 month later...

Yes, the Free Travel option is an excellent one and will keep the benighted travelling public on-side.  Plus, it gets right up the (mis)managements' nostrils.

While I am theoretically in favour of the right to strike, I am against it when it discomodes innocent people, speaking as one who founded a sort of trade union.