Another senseless hunting accident

I first heard the word pédéraste in the '60's. It was quite clearly explained to me that this referred to a homosexual man. The terms "pédale" and "de la pédale" were also used at that time.

According to my OED, a pederast is someone who performs sodomy with a boy, while a paedophile is simply attracted to children in general.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Indeed, as I said (but without the "a" in paedophile, for which I have been formally chastised) on the previous page.
[/quote]

NO YCCMB, you keep doing this, I did not repeat what you said.

[quote user="You"]Not really a topic for Christmas morning but I needed something to pass the time and while away my insomnia, and I have been wondering why English uses pedophile and French uses pédéraste (as does Polish, I found out some years ago...and, I suspect, many other languages). Turns out that the former implies a sexual attraction to children, and the latter defines someone who has sex with children.
[/quote]

[quote user="I"]

According to my OED, a pederast is someone who performs sodomy with a boy, while a paedophile is simply attracted to children in general.

[/quote]

I do hope you know the difference between sex and sodomy[:D]