A number of administrative things that will change from the 1st January

NormanH

http://www.midilibre.fr/2013/12/27/smic-tva-carte-d-identite-ce-qui-change-au-1er-janvier,801904.php

Rises in TVA,  Electricity Stamps and tobacco are some of the things that will be obvious, but there are other measures that will impact such as the rule that part-time employment must be for a minimum of 24 hours a week, and  a small rise in the minimum wage.

Thanks Norman, nice present that!

Given the little swine are increasing unemployment at a rate of knots and trying to hide it, these increases in taxes almost seem like a New Year's present.

Poor France, you are bleeding to death, encouraged by what is probably the most incompetent president and government in the history of this Republic.

Thanks, Norman.  I'm going to get a pile of stamps before January.  Got a fair few New Year cards to send as I have now given up completely on Christmas cards; can't find them and, when I do, they are not very appealing and cost an arm and a leg.

Also, have had the electrician in and paid him so at least not yet 20%.....[:(]

I will have to look up déontologie (not in my big dictionary) but the following is a move in the right direction and not before time either.

POLICE : policiers et gendarmes disposent d'un nouveau code de déontologie, qui préconise le vouvoiement, encadre les contrôles d'identité, la palpation des suspects, et prévoit que les forces de l'ordre portent sur leur uniforme un numéro permettant de les identifier.

As for forcing employers to make part time job contracts 24 hours per week well I am pretty much speechless, I am hardened to stupid things happening here that appear to benefit nobody but this takes the biscuit.

It means that my part time job at the lycée will mean me working 6 more hours per week than the full time staff [:'(]

It's useful to see these changes in one place. It's like a whole body scan where you can see all the illnesses in one picture.

I'm with Chancer on the 24 hour change. These people really are the most stupid single-celled lifeforms ever given charge of a supposedly developed nation. So three people on 16 hour contracts will now become two. Two employees who want to job share will do that how ? 35 divided by 2 = 24 ?? When we ran a business staff used to ask for fewer hours, it suited them and we were happy to do it. We agree a work pattern to suit us all without having some moron impose a limit on it. Mindblowing.

Intend to achieve?

Which poses the question, what were they thinking, well, I'd prefer not to even consider that

anyone with  half a brain put any thought process into this at

all.

Well, as I am obviously a complete grumpy old woman now, I feel that all politicians must have had any notion of good old common sense surgically removed on the day they become elected.

I have a particular loathing for Sarko, but at least there was something about him..... bit like Thatcher, I hated her, but at least they both followed on their idea of policy and did something. Hollande, well, he beggar's belief, I couldn't make him up, he is mou........... completely wet and dangerously useless. Just my opinion ofcourse.

Two interesting bits in there one of which seems to contradict articles in UK newspapers.

Firstly the rise in the minimum hourly wage which makes it about 2 Euros more an hour than the UK. When parties like Ukip talk about Romanians coming to the UK and taking all the low paid jobs it seems a bit weird because in reality they would be better off coming to France as they would get more. Couple that with having to work 24 hours per week France would definitely be a better bet work wise. I would also imagine that people on minimum wage in France also get their mutual via the state so that’s free healthcare as well.

Secondly interesting to note that it says "Bulgarians and Romanians are now free to come and work in France, on behalf of the principle of free movement of EU workers. Both countries are members of the EU since 2007." Notice the bit about "principle of free movement of EU workers". France (and many other EU countries) unlike the UK decided to accept EU legislation on this which means they don't get anything from the state for at least the first three months (six if students) unless they work and put in to the system. Makes a mockery of the lies Ukip put about the UK always accepting EU legislation.

I am not to sure about the private pensions bit as I don't know how they work in France other than how the actual pension 'drawing out' works which is way behind the UK and that QROPS is really not worth doing.

The UK legislation (pre-december 2013) was exactly the same as the rest of the EU, viz:

All EEA nationals and their family

members have the right to reside in any other member state for a

period of three months.

To have a right to reside after three months, you must:

• Be a 'qualified person', or
  • Have the right of permanent residence, or
  • Have a derivative right to reside.

To be a 'qualified person' you must be a:

• Jobseeker
  • Worker
  • Self-employed person
  • Self-sufficient person
  • Student.

To be entitled to benefits an EEA national needed to prove their habitual residence in the UK. What has been tightened up is the methodology for proving habitual residence. Nevertheless, whether under the new or previous legislation, it was never as easy as turning up at the council or the jobcentre and getting a handout. It's just going to be tougher now.

Whatever the change to the legislation - and I believe that if (and only if) registered as a jobseeker, an EEA national could get JSA in under 3 months, many of the benefits cease after 3 months anyway (including child benefit and child tax credit) unless the habitual residence rules are met.

am not to sure about the private pensions bit as I don't know how they work in France

As with health care there are several different branches of pensions according to which sector you worked in, and of course some people have a career which spans more than one.

I am a case in point (although in miniature since I worked a relatively short time in France)

I have one pension from the 'régime générale' which takes into account all the trimetres you have worked

I have another which comes from the public sector for work I did in the Education nationale

I have a third which comes from work I did in the private sector but is in addition to the first one, i.e a 'complementary' pension

The calculations for each of these are different and complex, but a couple of interesting points are:

1) Years worked in the UK count as 'qualifying' years towards the minimum number required to draw a pension (160 trimetres I think) though are not taken into account in calculating how much you will get.

2) Even small contributions such as I received at one stage for giving private lessons under the chèque emploi system count towards a pension.

The changes in the article seem to suggest that I will receive pension no 2 monthly instead of quarterly.

Lest envious eyes be cast in my direction I should make it clear that all together these pensions come to less than 100€ a month..

They do entitle me to Health care, but as that is à la charge de la France they are a bit of a poison chalice since they disqualify me from having an S1 in France, since I both live here and receive a pension paid here.

If I moved to another European country I would be eligible.  My situation is likely to be more and more replicated as people who moved to France and have  worked here since the boom years around 2000 get to pensionable age.

Betty I think the difference is

UK Legislation - "without becoming an unreasonable burden on public funds".

EU Legislation - "not to become a burden on the host EU countries social assistance system".

UK Source - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/rightsandresponsibilites/

EU Source - http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/citizenship/docs/guide_free_movement_low.pdf

Of course the same rules apply re the S1 form for people going to the UK from within the EU however in the countries that have accepted all of the EU legislation they will be refused everything including healthcare unless they pay.

The whole thing in the UK revolves around the word "unreasonable" and how it is interpreted.

There isn't really a  basic pension that everyone is entitled to as in the UK .

The first one  the régime générale is the closest thing to a state pension but unlike the OAP it is not a fixed sum.

It is calculated on the number of trimestres and the average salary.

One of the scandals is the fact that in the private sector that average is over a long period so is of course lowered by the earlier years when pay was lower, whereas fonctionnaires have theirs calculated over something like the last six months when earnings are at their highest

le calcul de la pension de retraites, apparemment plus favorable pour

les fonctionnaires (six derniers mois) que dans le privé (25 dernières

années).

[quote user="Quillan"]Norman - So these are on top of the state pension that everyone is entitled to?[/quote]

As NH has said, it is far more complicated than that, yes there is a state pension...... In fact I am not convinced that anyone can actually get the supposed maximum state pension with all their years in and after all their best years.....then all the different regimes and different complementaires on top of that, depending on grade too. Tres complicated!

Quillain said: Firstly the rise in the minimum hourly wage which makes it about 2 Euros more an hour than the UK.

What is that about?

When the FF changed to the euro the exchange rate was 6.559 euros for 10 francs. AND by chance 10ff was approx £1.

What on earth have current exchange rates got to do with anything, ie the price of butter or bread. The SMIC is what it is and people have to live on it in France....... it has in fact ended up less than the UK minimum wage using the above figures, as exchange rates are absolutely useless in a case like this. And I know where money goes further, having been to visit my son a few times this year and having bought the shopping whilst there.  Remember all our income is in euros and not £'s.

Coupled with high taxes and social charges, plus more and more restrictive laws, France is a disaster area for new buinesses. And for those with over 50 employees, impossible,

Nope, I reckon UK, Ireland may be the best choices at the moment.

And by the way, the minimum wage is also the maximum - just ask the ladies who work on the caisses at the supermarket, some of whom have been there years; they are all still on munimum wage.

[quote user="idun"]

When the FF changed to the euro the exchange rate was 6.559 euros for 10 francs. AND by chance 10ff was approx £1.

[/quote]I don't think so. The best exchange rate I saw between euros and Pound was about 1.6 euro to the pound. This was quite handy because if you had a speedo with both mph and kmh you could use that as a handy converter[:)]

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="idun"]

[/quote]I don't think so. The best exchange rate I saw between euros and Pound was about 1.6 euro to the pound. This was quite handy because if you had a speedo with both mph and kmh you could use that as a handy converter[:)]

[/quote]

Well these are the annual average spot rates from the Bank of England, and in 1999 when the euro started, it was as you see 1.5192 on average for that year and that was what I was quoting. Exchange rates are fickle and constantly changing and different organisations have quite different rates. It was simply the general one from an official website and that is all that I was citing.

Annual average Spot

exchange rate, Euro

into Sterling

XUAAERS

31 Dec 99

31 Dec 00

I don't think the exchange rate 13 nearly 14 years ago has nothing to do with current rate or at least those in 2013 which is when the information was given if you look at the sources (which is why I gave them). It clearly shows there is around a 30% difference in minimum wage between France and the UK in France's favour. The people on minimum wage will probably be on 100% health cover as well in France and may not have to pay prescription charges in the UK (I think you get it covered by tax ot NHS credit but you would have to check).

If one is to believe the propaganda in the DM most if any Romanian immigrants will be going to the UK without a thought of starting a business. However if any did my guess would be that it is far easier to start a business in the UK than France and more cost effective as well.

[quote user="idun"][quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="idun"]

[/quote]

Well these are the annual average spot rates from the Bank of England, and in 1999 when the euro started, it was as you see 1.5192 on average for that year and that was what I was quoting. Exchange rates are fickle and constantly changing and different organisations have quite different rates. It was simply the general one from an official website and that is all that I was citing.

Annual average Spot

exchange rate, Euro

into Sterling

XUAAERS
31 Dec 991.5192
31 Dec 001.6422

[/quote]So if you read your first post you will see you said " 6.559 euros for 10 francs. AND by chance 10ff was approx £1. " and not the correct rate that you posted later. That was the point of my post.