Have you got an Old boiler like a Chappee???

Georgina

Sorry must have been drunk when I first posted LOL

Anyway my boiler has been left in a dangerous condition by a complete nincompoop

He was supposed to clean (entetrien) the heating

system but instead ended up leaving it in what appeared to be a

dangerous condition.  He was here an hour so I left him and asked him to

shut the door.  When I got back there was broken bits all over the

floor.  He apparently removed the door and the (isolate) fell off which

is the plaque between the door and the burner at the top which stops the door burning i guess..

It sits behind the burner to stop the door bursting into flames I guess.

Now

obviously the door got really hot and the flames can be seen from the

boiler.  Well I did  not know all this until the bloody thing stopped

working two weeks after he came (Sunday even).  No hot water no

heating..  The burnt out spark plug had not been replaced and I had

someone in who told me it had fallen out.  But actually the bloody door 

was covered in soot and the casing had melted as he had broken the

isolation plaque.  He said he had to remove this to clean it but did not

bother to tell me he broke it.  Then putting the plastic casing back

when it was obviously going to melt beggars belief.

Now two weeks

later and he does not bother to tell me!!!!! He does not bother to tell

me that my bloody house would catch on fire.

so the next guy I

have around tells me "he is no longer with us" well good job as I will

bloody kill him, but I bet it is an excuse.

Well they said I will

have to replace the whole thing (new rules and all that).  Well I heard

that one before so I said ''j n'etais  pas nee hier''.

My neighbour said that the young technicians always want to sell you a new one and tell you they cannot get the parts.

so my question is, as this was taken on a contract, have you any idea what I should do other than refuse to pay them.

Does anyone know if there is a law against leaving a boiler in a dangerous condition without informing the owner???

Any French people here?????

First thought is that if you have protection juridique included in your house insurance, you should contact them, give them all the facts (as coherently and objectively as possible) and let them handle it for you. It's what they're there for.

Does that help?

It's hard for anyone on the forum to advise because we haven't read the contract, we don't know what the contract covers and what guarantees if any are in place.

Further to EuroTrash's excellent advice, do not touch anything as the insurers may want to see the thing as it was left.

Probably not worth your while getting a huissier to constat the degats unless you are going to try and deal with it yourselves which is not recommended if other routes are possible.

I for one, would also take some photographs as proof and contact the house insurers because if there was an incident caused by this boiler, they would be the ones who would have to pay out. My neighbour has a chaudière of over 40years old and will not use it these days, preferring instead to heat her water by chauffe-eau and electric convector radiators as she cannot afford the many thousands of euros to replace the monster and has the house for sale anyway! Don't mess with these things unless you are qualified, we lost a couple in this village a year ago to a supposedly serviced chaudière and it turned out after they were found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning that the plumber had put a piece on the wrong way round thus causing toxic fumes back in the house and the case is ongoing with the family consulting lawyers for an eventual court hearing and compensation etc!

We have a Chappee boiler - just hope it doesn't fall into the hands of an amateur like you had.

My first thought was that you should contact his boss and ask what he's going to do about it. Or the Chappee head office

( plumbing firms usually have a franchise with a particular manufacturer) they might put some pressure on.

Our plumbers have been very good up to now, but too far to come up to Brittany!