Never a Dull ...............

Gardian

Its been piddling with rain down here for the last 4 or 5 days.  Then at 20.00-ish last night, the juice went off.

Nothing particularly unusual about that, especially with a bit of lightning around, but it was strange because the power came back at a very low voltage (70-ish volts). Neighbour, somewhat drowned from the downpour, came round to urge me to knock all the power off lest the house burned down. Power surge, he reckoned - "we're all going to die", or words to that effect. I ignored him (politely).

Still no juice this morning, several abortive attempts to contact EDF (hopeless), but then the engineers turned up mid-morning. Major re-cabling as a result of an underground cable rupture. It took them 7 hours in the continual heavy rain, but they got us all back with power by late afternoon. Good blokes - they've 'bodged it' to get us back on the air and it'll require the road to be ripped up to relay the cabling, but at least it works for now.

Meanwhile, the little local stream is in flood (15m wide and a torrent, when normally its a trickle) and it'll be worse in the morning.

The problems in the Var sound really dreadful.

Gardian, glad to hear all's sort of OK with you and Mrs G - the torrent sounds particularly bad; glad the power problem is being sorted, quick work by EDF.

So glad we're not down there at the moment - I gather it wasn't a good weekend for the truffle festival. Here in Berkshire we've done quite well over the last couple of days - sunny when the frost and mist went and a really pleasant day up till now.

Shows how localised such rain is, this time, so far in January, we've only had one wet day, and that was a gentle downpour rather than a torrent.  So here's hoping, as when it rains down here, it <can> last for 2 days... and if the snow melt from the Pyrenees happens at the same time we are very lucky indeed if the rivers don't flood.