I wonder if Mr Farage...

YCCMB

...likes the French?

Only BBC London news has decided, this morning, to make much of the fact that the French Embassy has said there are more than quarter of a million French in London - and growing, and a nice French lady has been explaining that it's because "taxes are going up every day" in France and "we don't know when it's going to stop so we prefer to have all our family here".

So how long before UKIP notice and start complaining that "they come here, they take our jobs...."

Mind you, as Mr. F worked for both Credit Lyonnais and Natixis in his past, he will probably have trouble making a case.

There is also Brighton, Northampton and Nottingham all of which also have large French populations. Only the French that have 'escaped' the 75% tax went to South Ken the majority live in Belsize Park. There are three French schools there, LeClerc supermarket, a couple of French cinemas and numerous 'French' shops. The majority of apartments and houses have Canal+ dishes attached so they are easy to spot. Seems an extra 50k have arrived in London since the last census. I read somewhere or perhaps it ws on the TV that the French population in London was about the total population of Lille.

The French population in Belsize park is so huge that it doesn't rate a mention..... (Independent, July 2013)

According to Hamptons, the French population in London has increased

by 75% over the last  decade. with the largest numbers living in Kensington and Chelsea where they account for about 4% of the total population in the borough (compared with an average for London of 0.5 per cent).

The report points out that French schools have also been set up in Clapham, Camden, Ealing and Fulham to

cater with growing local demand in those areas but also emphasises that

East London is now a hot spot for growth in London’s French population.

Tower Hamlets has a French population three and a half times higher than 10 years ago while Hackney and the City of London have seen the French population almost triple.

The Lycee is as you probably know in South Ken, and most of my former French colleagues live between there and Ealing where one of the main feeder schools for the Lycee is situated. A new Lycee opened in Kentish Town in 2011, so probably there's been a minor influx to the general Camden/Belsize Park area since then..

Spending considerable time in London these days is an education...yes, of course, there are dozens of languages spoken, but you do hear French everywhere you go, and not solely spoken by tourists.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]The French population in Belsize park is so huge that it doesn't rate a mention..... (Independent, July 2013)

[/quote]

I wouldn't put to much faith in the figures if I were you. If you Google "How many French live in London" the figures are anywhere between 88,000 and 400,000 depending on the source which includes the broadsheets and the BBC.

Looking at 2011 Census.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/re-reference-tables.html?edition=tcm%3A77-301985

First link on page is an Excel Spreadsheet.  Second Tab in Spreadsheet is numbers.  Column L is French.

There are 85,930 French in London (L271) and 146,032 in England and Wales (L16).

J

Well, it's now 2014...and we know that the French Embassy are saying there are over a  quarter of a million in London. Mind you, as Mr F is insistent that the entire population of Romania and Bulgaria are buying their tickets as we speak, you can put your faith where you choose.

And of course not, QUillan. I should always take what you say as gospel. Even though I have family in Belsize Park....

• 2 weeks later...

Hello YCCMB,

Is it not just a tad unfair to attack UKIP for something they haven't said ?

Not everybody's cup of tea indeed, but at least he says what he thinks and has described some of the EU/EC/E whatever people extremely accurately.

I've seen plenty of the French in London and I must say they have enhanced the place, IMNSHO.

This one might just run and run ..

ernie

I'm just at a loss. Partly at the resurrection of this thread, partly at the fact that the posts in resurrection seem to be in support of the belief that (like the English in any foreign country) the French are "special". Or, at least, more special than, say, for the sake of argument, The Bulgarians and the Romanians. So, it's OK to have a French population in London greater than that of Bordeaux, but as soon as half a dozen Bulgarians show up, Farage is practically foaming at the mouth.

I am also at a loss as to where (if at all) I "attacked" UKIP in previous posts. I can't see it, but maybe someone could point me at it. And there I was thinking I was keeping my powder dry against the time when perhaps one of them comes to my doorstep. Mind you, I don't think I will need to attack them even then, given that their current selection of representatives and candidates appear to be doing such a sterling job of showing themselves up for the halfwits that they are.

To be honest, I half wish they'd win enough seats to form the next government.There hasn't been much good new comedy on telly for a fair while.

Good question. It depends who administers the fines. In the USA there have been upto four bodies handing out fines for the same misdemeanor. Department of Justice, the Federal Reserve Bank, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) and sometimes state prosecutors. Then in fact you also have private prosecutions, and then on top of all that you can have a bank finied in two countries. For example because the misdemeanor was by a branch of a UK bank in NYK.

In each case the money goes somewhere different.

In the UK it tends to be just two bodies. The FCA/PRA which is the old FSA, and then the courts. The courts are involved in UK due to criminal offences which regulatory offences don't often become.