Record rainfall in the South of France

Sprogster

Somewhat overshadowed by the terrible floods in the UK is the similar havoc that has occurred in the coastal Var with hundreds of houses badly damaged by flood waters. To put the weather into context Nice has already had more rainfall this year than for the whole of 2013! http://www.rivieratimes.com/index.php/provence-cote-dazur-article/items/its-official-this-weather-is-not-normal.html

And yet, not a million miles to the west of you (!), we have perhaps had a little more rain than usual, in short bursts rather than the prolonged 2 days which is more the norm, and so far no serious prospect of floods in the usual spots ... just goes to prove how local weather can be.

And I do hope by this that I am not tempting providence, as we have a house to sell in one of those self-same flood-prone areas, and would rather like to get rid of it before the next flood arrives!

We arrived back about 2 weeks ago to sunshine, which quickly turned to extremely heavy rain. Our gutters don't cope well with some of the downpours here in the Gard, but we've never seen it so bad before. It was like waterfalls all round the balcony, and my husband took film of it as it was so bad. We're waiting to have the gutters cleaned, but our management company seems slower to act than normal.

It's been dry here for a few days now, we've had a couple of lovely days but mostly grey - the very reason we bought here, to escape the grey of the Thames Valley in November and February.

Like you gardengirl a large part of the attraction for me for my part of France was the light and sunshine so that in winter even though I knew it could be cold, at least one would get away from the grey up north. Unfortunately recent winters and springs in the Cote D'Azur have been unusually rainy and we do seem to be in something of a trend, so if this continues for the next few years and property prices in France recover, I might have to go back to the drawing board and find another country with sunnier climes for my declining years!

There are micro-climates in the South.

I know that there is an area  roughly south of the road from Bédarieux to St Pons, west of Adge, and east of Narbonne which has a particularly dry and sunny climate. Roquebrun is even known as le "Petit Nice".

Yet once you go east of the Pézenas-Agde road rain and floods become much more frequent, and once you go west of  Lézignan Corbières you lose the benefit of the Mediterranean influence and even at Limoux there is much more rain from the Atlantic.

I regularly go from Béziers, which is slap bang in the first area over to south of  Bram where the different climate can quickly be noticed in the very different vegatation.

We have just had a period since the 12th February where I have been able to eat out on a terrace in short sleeves every lunch time, but I will be over in the other area from tomorrow and expect to be in a jumper, and see rain daily...

Damp but unusually mild north of you in Allier. It has not dropped below freezing at night whereas daytime temperatures often fail to get above that at this time of year. A friend who was born here 70 years ago has never known anything like it. He remembers eventually being sent home from school when the boiler froze - it was minus 27. Pessimistic by nature, he is prophesising terrible things as a result.

BREAKING NEWS

The record rainfall led to a number of barrels being washed out to sea where they were seen bobbing merrily on the waves. Unfortunately they have become a nuisance to shipping and so the French navy is going to use them for target practice. Given their gunnery, this operation may take some time.

Rumour has it that an elderly, grumpy Englishman has been seen clinging to one oif the barrels but decined an offer of help from a passing boat carrying clandestine immigrants, on the grounds of the smell.

News updates asap.

[quote user="Sprogster"]Like you gardengirl a large part of the attraction for me for my part of France was the light and sunshine so that in winter even though I knew it could be cold, at least one would get away from the grey up north. Unfortunately recent winters and springs in the Cote D'Azur have been unusually rainy and we do seem to be in something of a trend, so if this continues for the next few years and property prices in France recover, I might have to go back to the drawing board and find another country with sunnier climes for my declining years![/quote]

Loving our little town so much and the area too, and being involved in so many activities here, I don't think we'll be moving on anywhere unless we decide we're getting too decrepid and return to full-time life in Berkshire. Prices of  properties around us seem to have stayed pretty stable. I've heard of two apartments which might come on the market soon in our residence, and expect they'll do quite well - both owned by anglophones from new, six years ago, who have spent little time here and realise how much they are paying out each year in taxes and for charges for the privilege.

But like you, the light and the sunshine played a big part in our choice. We also knew it would be bitter in winter, although this year is definitely strange from that point of view as well. A good cold spell would get rid of some of the germs, too - lots of people are waving the 3 kisses away as they have colds or bad stomachs; even our egg man on the market has been ill, and that's only the third market he's ever missed in many years.

Hope you've had as good a day as we've had here - it's been at least 17C and sunny for most of the day - a very good turnout at boules this afternoon!

[quote user="NormanH"]There are micro-climates in the South.

I know that there is an area  roughly south of the road from Bédarieux to St Pons, west of Adge, and east of Narbonne which has a particularly dry and sunny climate. Roquebrun is even known as le "Petit Nice".

Yet once you go east of the Pézenas-Agde road rain and floods become much more frequent, and once you go west of  Lézignan Corbières you lose the benefit of the Mediterranean influence and even at Limoux there is much more rain from the Atlantic.

I regularly go from Béziers, which is slap bang in the first area over to south of  Bram where the different climate can quickly be noticed in the very different vegatation.

We have just had a period since the 12th February where I have been able to eat out on a terrace in short sleeves every lunch time, but I will be over in the other area from tomorrow and expect to be in a jumper, and see rain daily...

[/quote]

Indeed, NormanH,

Though we've not managed to sit out quite as much as you, as it has been often grey, but much less wind than usual, and certainly milder than we've known it.  I cannot quite determine where this microclimate starts and ends, but I agree that the weather changes between us and Beziers often, and west of Lezignan you can also see the change in agriculture as well as the climate.  Here, we are somewhat also influenced by the nearer approach of the  Montagne Noir, which seems to disturb the weather patterns in the foothills - either too hot or to cold, and you can never tell which it will be!.  Roquebrun, as you correctly state, le petit Nice, is too far away for us to notice that ... much more wind here, nearer the "windy" coast!