Forum quiet, peoples priorities

Chancer

It seems that God has been raining on the English of late and Alex Salmond has been weeweeing on the Scots.

Just out of interest, if they voted for independence, would all those millions of Scots who work in England need to have work permits as Scotland would not be part of the EC and would not have a right of free movement to seek work?

And for those who were refused to right to work in England, would they return to Scotland as unhappy bunnies and scrag Salmond? Seems reasonable.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many people still prepared to waste valuable energy trying to blame someone, if it wasn't so tragic it would be almost laughable. What a massive shame. And there's a huge irony in the Mail publishing what is (almost certainly) such dross, given their pen-portrait of the average resident of my village a few days ago, the marketing exec. with his wine cellar and his canoe for family picnics and three poshly-named daughters....

[quote user="woolybanana"]It seems that God has been raining on the English of late and Alex Salmond has been weeweeing on the Scots.

Just out of interest, if they voted for independence, would all those millions of Scots who work in England need to have work permits as Scotland would not be part of the EC and would not have a right of free movement to work?

And for those who were refused to right to work in England, would they return to Scotland as unhappy bunnies and scrag Salmond? Seems reasonable.[/quote]

I'm relaxed about the whole thing. In the worst case scenario, I'll claim dual nationality [:D] BTW, as Scots living outside Scotland can't vote anyway, will there be  a rush back in order to be there when the vote happens?

And I wouldn't like to be called scottish either Rabbie to be honest, but that is simply not liking the idea and I am from the north of England so maybe I have scottish blood in me, the  family name is scottish, both from M. Idun and my maternal grandmother had the same maiden name.

"There are worse things than being called Canadian. I would find it worse to be called English [:D]. I am British or Scottish but not English. Just living here as a representative of the occupying power [:D]"

Well I'm English and proud of that, I do find it strange that someone who is so disparaging about a country should choose to live in in. So the answer is mate you know where the border is ? [:P]

[quote user="NickP"]

"There are worse things than being called Canadian. I would find it worse to be called English [:D]. I am British or Scottish but not English. Just living here as a representative of the occupying power [:D]"

Well I'm English and proud of that, I do find it strange that someone who is so disparaging about a country should choose to live in in. So the answer is mate you know where the border is ? [:P]

[/quote]I think the smileys made it clear I was not actually anti-English.  I always thought the English had a good sense of humour.  Lighten up Nick. 

Seriously though I don't think I was being so disparaging about the English. Just because I would rather be mistaken for Canadian does not mean I dislike the English. It was just a bit of banter with Idun

Betty, I have mixed feelings, Maidenhead is certainly better off than it might otherwise have expected to be, but both Cookham and Wraysbury think they are worse off and from personal experience I can never remember Cookham Village being turned into an Island before...maybe the Jubilee relief scheme needs a tweak...but there are plenty of other things that can be addressed.

The road past Longridge was open this morning although t he centre its elf is still under water.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Rabbie, Idoon comes from ooop north where the word 'banter' has a verry rooood connotation so be careful or she will take you up on it.[/quote]I have obviously been living down south too long. In my youth I always regarded Newcastle as a city in the south[:D]

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="woolybanana"]Rabbie, Idoon comes from ooop north where the word 'banter' has a verry rooood connotation so be careful or she will take you up on it.[/quote]I have obviously been living down south too long. In my youth I always regarded Newcastle as a city in the south[:D][/quote]

My thoughts were the same about my husband's town, Sheffield; I'm from the NE of England.

By the way, the only other meaning of 'banter' I know is to go on a diet - my education must be rather lacking, Woollie!

ROFL this post has taken an unexpected turn as I have just seen an article in the Huff Post about toff tories mocking northern female MP's because of their accents. When they say 'northern' they mean us from the north of England.

So the NE of England may be south to the scots, but in the minds of the toff tories, it would seem that they think rather less of 'us'!

Still I wonder if they would have dared to take the michael out of Betty Boothroyd? She would probably have given them a good spanking[:D]

Funny thing about Parliament. It seems you can make insulting remarks about people's appearance, but you can't say that they're drunk, even if they are.

I don't see why anyone worth their salt should have to put up with personal insults.

Hoddy

[quote user="NickP"]

Rabbie that is a load of cobblers, a smiley doesn't  give you the right to be offensive, because if you didn't mean it you wouldn't have said it.

[/quote] I was making a joke. Something the vast majority of British people understand.    So sorry if I hurt your feelings but as you regularly disregard other people's feelings I would just say "If you can't take it, don't dish it out"

idun,

I don't mind being called Canadian at all. My brother in law is Canadian and Cleveland is about as close to Canada as you can get. I understand Lake Erie is frozen, so you could skate over to Canada from Cleveland. I have been to Canada several times. OK, only to change planes to come to GB, but still, I've seen a bit of Toronto.

David

[quote user="Rabbie"]    I was making a joke. Something the vast majority of British people understand.    So sorry if I hurt your feelings but as you regularly disregard other people's feelings I would just say "If you can't take it, don't dish it out"[/quote]

I just love the irony of this quote from rabbie, who a little while ago when challenged on something he wrote, spat his dummy out and said "I will not be posting/visiting  this forum again". As for what you perceive that I regularly do; would you like to justify that statement?

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="Rabbie"]    I was making a joke. Something the vast majority of British people understand.    So sorry if I hurt your feelings but as you regularly disregard other people's feelings I would just say "If you can't take it, don't dish it out"[/quote]

I just love the irony of this quote from rabbie, who a little while ago when challenged on something he wrote, spat his dummy out and said "I will not be posting/visiting  this forum again". As for what you perceive that I regularly do; would you like to justify that statement?

[/quote]So I moved on. Why don't you do the same. Life's too short for such a silly spat over nothing.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Its called 'The Bank of England' so if the powers that be say no, what can Salmond do ? Can he force the bank to let the Scots have the pound...?

He is like a child at the pick & mix, oh we want this, we don't want that etc...and somehow he expects everyone else to fall in....[:'(]

[/quote]The name is to a large extent irrelevant. The BoE was founded by William Paterson who was Scottish. What is relevant is that the Bank today is one of the assets of the UK and Mr Salmond has proposed that the assets and liabilities of the UK should be split if Scotland becomes independent. If England says Scotland can't have its share of the assets then IMO it is not unreasonable not to agree to taking a share of the liabilities. 

The problem is that there is so much posturing being done by politicians on both sides of the argument. Hopefully the situation will be resolved by a No vote but if there is a Yes vote I would not be surprised if there is a lot more common sense on both sides.