Forum quiet, peoples priorities

Chancer

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm told! I'm housebound as I'm waiting (in a somewhat ironic twist) for some new shower doors to be delivered.

I checked out the video and they're just behind our house (or in front, I guess) on the railway line. I await cries of "Foul" and "Datchet gets all the help" from Wraysbury and Staines....

Fair play to them: they're the first visitors who have actually rolled their sleeves up and got stuck in.

I think they've gone....They ran out of things to sandbag.

Gardian, Staines became Staines-upon-Thames only very recently [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-18118309[/url]

There are rumours that Slough might change its name to something completely different to shake off the legacies of Betjeman and Gervais...

[quote user="You can call me Betty"] I think they've gone....They ran out of things to sandbag.

Gardian, Staines became Staines-upon-Thames only very recently [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-18118309[/url]

There are rumours that Slough might change its name to something completely different to shake off the legacies of Betjeman and Gervais...
[/quote]

I once had quite a funny moment when en route for Wexham I was driving round the roundabout shown as The Office opens and they played the theme tune on the radio....it was kind of weird....

Total exaggeration, Norman. Let's not lose ALL perspective! No castles have been flooded, and the Guards' Polo club are operating as a rescue centre thanks to their elevated position! Dunno about the second home situation, or indeed whether there are a comparable number of second homes in Sheffield. But as a proportion of the total number of homes affected by the flooding, 5000 may be about right, for all anyone knows. Though I doubt it.  Personally, we've taken the advice of the Daily Mail and moved the contents of our wine cellar to higher ground. One can't be too careful![:)]

Still, glad you're safe in your barrel. It's be a pity to let this opportunity pass by without your comment! [:D]

[quote user="gardengirl "]

Betty, do you have any Duchy biscuits in stock?  [:)]

[/quote]

Sadly, the road betwixt us and the Windsor Farm Shop (Prop. HRH Prince Phil) is closed due to flooding, hence access to my local purveyor of Duchy Originals is denied.....

I hear Waitrose is just as good. Can you get there? Mind you, the important people are surely gone by now. What I liked was that it wasn't broadcast that they'd be coming to Datchet, and yes, they got stuck in.

Been raining all day, hope your house is still dry.

PS good idea about the wine.

They did, indeed, get stuck in and it was hilarious that their visit was so low-key that hardly any press were around, hence there are only a few still photos and some grainy video footage to testify to their presence. An urban myth is now circulating that Prince William berated a Guardian journalist, telling him that if he wanted to do something useful, he should put his pen and pad down and get stuck in. Or did I read that on here? Sorry if I did, it was either that or my neighbour told me. My brain is waterlogged.

Family in the Sheffield floods had a tough time, but 24 hours in the news is a bit rich, but I found that amusing, Norman! We went up just afterwards, and the B&B we stayed in just outside Sheffield was even quieter than normal. We discovered why one evening, when we found the car park full of vans belonging to companies from all over the country who had sent workers to help supplement locals who couldn't possibly take on all the work.

I've heard that these floods etc will lose the British economy billions, but there will be work for many afterwards which must help offset that.

Like other people have said; I didn't realise that Staines was renamed and I live quite close by, but I did laugh when I read the report and the first quote was " The Surrey town of Staines has officially changed its name to Staines-upon-Thames in an attempt to boost its riverside image." [;-)] under the circumstances what an unfortunate piece of writing, I should imagine some copy writer at the Beeb will take a while to live that gem down.   Also I'm further confused because as far as I understood Staines was in Middlesex. As for Normans dig I notice there's no credits linked to it, so maybe someone's been "photo shopping"? [:D]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Staines under Thames?

Being swept away by flood water and rebuilt would however help Slough considerable. It might be renamed Little Eton on Thames.[/quote]

Now, now, Wooly!  I lived in Slough at one point in my careering all over England (well it felt like that a bit at the time!), and it wasn't all that bad.  I do remember getting to see some super shows at the Fulcrum theatre - now I wonder, is that still there?

And I used to drive to the Eton side of the river, park in Eton for 50p (those were the days) and walk over the bridge into Windsor (where it cost all lot more to park!).  It also saved me having to drive all the way round to get to Windsor ... much nicer, and with a super view of a certain castle, to boot.  I played at being a tourist several times!

No, Judith, it's not....Did we once ever have this same conversation on another forum? Slough has had more facelifts than Dale Winton of late. I can think of many worse places.

You couldn't park in Windsor at the moment, unless you wanted to park where all the tourists seem to go. Most of the "normal

" car parks are closed due to flooding, but the one that's open (no residents' discount and £4 an hour: thieving barstewards) is resolutely open.

Personally, I walk.

[quote user="NormanH"][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/ns_zps0b6391c5.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/ns_zps0b6391c5.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

Don't I remember that Sheffield didn't do too badly with coverage, but no one cared about Kingston-upon-Hull, that really had the forgotten flood victims.

I have heard it said up here, that there was lots of coverage about Somerset as  there are lots of well off people there and then I heard it said that there was even more about the Thames area as the folks were even richer still. I am not making personal comments about this, just mentioning what has been said during the last few weeks.