Forum quiet, peoples priorities

Chancer

V. touched by all the good wishes, for which I thank everyone. We're drier than many, for which we're extremely thankful. The water seems to be heading down the main road into another part of the village this morning, but as it progressively runs out of other places to go, we fear it's only a matter of time before it reaches us now.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RH, thanks: Wraysbury has its own FB page, which has been useful in updating the water level readings, even though it's a little way away. It's stopped raining and so far no more filling up of the toilet, although we do have a sandbag at the ready(thanks, Hoddy) to block it off if things get worse.

Clutching at straws, a spokesman from the Environment Agency has just said on the radio that the water levels are abating. But I'll clutch at anything right now!!!

Luckily, daylight has brought out a few more "officials" to ensure that the road closures are observed, as it was certainly true this morning that quite a few people didn't feel any of these applied to them.

Frecossia,

Our ivory tower in St Albans happens to be an end of terrace house. We just happen to live above an area that isn't affected by floods. And there is no problem with landslides. Unlike some posters here, we can't afford a second house in France. I wish Betty the best with her problems.

David 

[quote user="Patf"]RH and Betty - hope it doesn't get any worse for you.

It's not much better here, but we haven't got carpets to ruin.

[/quote]

Thanks Pat....no carpets here, but the floors and timbers would/will all need replacing if they get waterlogged, I'm sure.

Heard from a very loved friend this evening who lives in Weybridge.  She sent me photos of her daughter thigh deep in water on their drive and she measured the water just outside their home.  It was over 11 metres.

They spent last night at a friend's near them and this morning they drove up to their pied à terre in London.

I am almost afraid to hear your news, Betty[:(]

No, still here...and waving, not drowning! Slept like a log last night - although OH informs me there were helicopters buzzing about all night. We wonder if they were police helicopters as there are now real concerns about looting. Although I'd be really stunned if anyone wants to nick a soggy sofa and surprised if they could carry it anywhere.

My Weybridge friend has emailed again this morning.  She is taking it on the chin like Betty.  Says that, as they live near 3 rivers, you expect the occasional flood.

More or less what Ken Clarke said (I didn't see all the programme, only read about what he said on Question Time)...and forgive me for paraphrasing here:  it's winter, it's wet, it's what happens.

Sorry RH, whilst it doesn't happen every year, it most certainly does happen in cycles and this one was predicted more than 5 years ago by a Professor who gave up with talking to the EA and government.  It hasn't anything to do with global warming as it was happening when there were fewer houses and no cars.

Before the industrial revolution

I suspect that the flooding appoached these levels in the early 50's and thats mainly because I remember my grandfather rowing over land that was  where his allotments were, but many people may not have seen flooding of this magnitude in their lifetimes. I can certainly cannot ever remember Cookham being a vitual island (and my parents have lived there since 1957) nor the river at Marlow being level both sides of the weir.

Now they are forecasting that it may be May before the flooding caused by groundwater, subsides...can you remember that length of flooding before ? I can't.

Neither of us are old enough but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. As I said at the start there was a TV program over 5 years ago which showed this occurs every few hundred years and that it was due again very soon.  Just like Mr Cameroron The public only hear what they want to, they have very short memories and that's it.  It has been happening many many times thankfully over a long period since it was that bad before, but with so many more houses taking up flood plains and driveways and roads the water will indeed hang around a lot longer.  Shame they don't dig out that old program it would make interesting viewing.

Betty and others, I am so sorry to hear about your problems. Flooding is one pf the worst things, with burglary which can happen.

However, there are two lights on the horizon - firstly, Woolybanana Enterprises is now helicoptering rubber dinghies into the area to those who are interested, at cheap rates.

Secondly, Saga, the old folks company, is thinking of floating!!

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Betty,

Were you or was anybody you know on BBC TV news yesterday?

David

[/quote]

Someone I know has been on the news (BBC, ITV, Channel 4) every day since Monday when this whole sorry state of affairs began. Personally, I have managed to tick the box for "no publicity".

And tonight, I have pretty much no doubt that someone I know will be on BBC1's "The One Show". And I don't mean Alex Jones or Matt Baker.