Forum quiet, peoples priorities

Chancer

Yesterday there were postings on only 5 subjects, not sure how many in total but it would have been as quiet as usual but for one abnormality.

It would appear that some of you are missing the BBC and there are 5 pages of postings on this subject.

When the proportion of interest in all things French is so skewed towards the loss of a couple of foreign language channels out of however many you have, probably more than a hundred, can you really hand on heart say that you are living a French life or an English one in France?

I do realise deep down that my mockery of you all is just an expression of being in denial myself, I was close to the point of cracking and getting UK TV, and now it seems I may have missed the boat [:'(]

A blessing in disguise?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've not missed the boat Chancer, you are so far north you should be able to pick up the kit of ex pats further south who have just lost their signal for even less! good time to buy I would have thought.

As for the French life does that have to include french TV?  isn't that worse than X factor?

Good news for those now out of touch is the UK just got it's first medal at Sochi and the first in snowboarding if not skiing in general, Well done to Jenny Jones!

After following the technical discussions and difficulties with the box, I spent yesterday morning putting up a 60cm dish which solved the problem. Its only for the BBC news and lunchtime bargain hunt. The Neuf box provides the rest of the lunchtime entertainment, and that is all the live TV we watch. As for the forum, its mostly the long term stalwarts that appear to be left and the odd spammer. There are only a few new subjects (like the CSG payments) that affect people and the rest of the news we can do little about. I could regale you with the highlights of the 3 hour Commisson Bâitment-voirie meeting and the 4 hour council dinner on Friday if you want to get down to the weeds of my daily life! Few people read my posts anyway, and that would kill even them off!!

I understand, if I want to comment on things like that I use another forum where people may be more interested, otherwise it could be like talking to yourself on a deserted island.

However if I want to discuss the finer nuances of or ask questions about the French language with those who are learning and pay an active interest in doing so this is still by far the best the forum to do it on.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I understand, if I want to comment on things like that I use another forum where people may be more interested, otherwise it could be like talking to yourself on a deserted island.

However if I want to discuss the finer nuances of or ask questions about the French language with those who are learning and pay an active interest in doing so this is still by far the best the forum to do it on.

[/quote]

Your only posting this today chancer because your "other forum" has crashed, and you are bored because you can't read the thoughts of a halfwit/Troll who feels a bit french, or you miss seeing people verbally bullied by the know all experts. [:D]

Banged to rights [:$]

Whilst I wont name other people even on other forums, the one just mentioned by name I dont see any provocative postings from, in fact I thinks its someone wisth whom I agree more than disagree, perhaps there are two people with that username.

Nonetheless I dont thinks its good form to name people, or perhaps I missed the irony of the posting and it went over my head.

Read Théières posting again, perhaps the person in question has said something about the French language or maybe my increasing use of Franglais, if so then it didnt register with me, it takes all sorts to make a lively forum.

Chancer our first 15 years were exclusively french tv. And when I go to my son's appt in France, that is all he has. There is terrible stuff on it and gems too, how it has remained fidele to itself[Www]

These days I watch TV5 Monde just about every day, especially the France 2 20h news.

You always make me think of M. Idun's early years in France. He would have a note book with him and jot down words and expressions he had heard and look them up, or ask about them later. There is sort of dedication to doing this which I don't have, maybe don't want to have[blink]. I just don't know whether I am too lazy, or stupid, or both, not to delve into the intricacies of 'french', but I rarely would make note.

Add to this that I hate anyone corrige'ing my mistakes in mid conversation, just kills a friendly chat dead for me.

Needless to say that M. Idun's french is far superior to mine and he has no discernible accent either, but that I truly believe that that is a gift and little to do with speaking 'good' french, as I know enough english people who speak excellent french, but have never lost their accent. The other thing is that M. Idun and I oftne have different french vocabularies too.

Would I be beside myself if I couldn't get UK tv in France? Well for the tv itself I would say a resounding NON! However, if I had a bit of money invested in equipment to get UK tv, then yes, I would want it working especially if I was paying a contract to get it. So for me there are two sides to this question.

Interesting though and yes my french is like a vache espagnoles, it is truly awful, truly, and when I say this to french people most say that my french is fine, some even say it is good and that my accent mignon or adorable, so there you go.

[quote user="Pommier"]I think both forums have their good points (unlike some others!) - the other one is certainly more 'chatty'[/quote]

Is there an H in that word?

Maximum respect to you Chancer, you have come to terms with French, building and the struggles there of and I always read your posts as you are wonderfully helpful and you actually do your own work. 

Sadly the other place has a few who although they do not know the subject it doesn't stop them attacking those that do, that's actually their personal kick.  Then we have the ones who are expert in every subject often to be proven wrong but any kind of backtrack is not in their vocabulary, from roof tiles made of clay that aren't fired in a kiln to knowing more than the person who actually gave them instruction then miraculously know even more, well they are welcome to an entire forum and may they spend in excess of 11 hours a week answering inquiries as I have done.  When asked a question did they give the honest and easy truthful response? No too pompous by half so they posted a wriggle out load of BS. 

I don't know the 'other' forum and don't need it. I am a sinner however and life takes over meaning I am a rare visitor to this place. I do have good intentions though!

Invariably I find 'nice' people here who are giving of their time and often patience which I really appreciate and in turn try to give advice when I can (I will leave it to others to decide whether my input is of any value) I don't think this place has a comparison and am grateful for it .

I had wondered if you'd moved, Betty, and had left the Thames behind. Obviously not...

Hope you can persuade your Marines (oddly uncomforting, that you've got 'marines'...) to work hard and keep the river away.

As to French and / or Brit tv... is Idun's life less British (now she's in the UK) because she watches French tv? I'd be mildly irritated if the satellite change affected me (it doesn't) but I don't think that would be because I am or my life is not French enough - more that I have the choice to dip in and out of two cultures (via radio and press as well as tv) and predictably, the culture I relate to most readily is still the one in which I spent my first 50 or so years.

Yes Betty, take care and a history lesson

Whilst politicians begin their mud slinging it's like a game of pass the parcel,  about 5 years ago the was a tv program  about the Thames valley flood plains and how they have massive floods every two hundred years and one is due in the next 5-10 years so spot on. This will be worse as new homes have been built on the flood plains so the water will not subside as fast and the environment agency new then it will be a major problem so government haven't listened for years so who ever is sitting in the chair when it starts raining will get all the flak.

Still it's only every two hundred years so we don't need to do anything but make sure you don't buy a house in the effected area.  When the program interviewed people who bought the houses (obviously no immediate danger) they dismissed the news as brushing crumbs from their tablecloth. Of course I have no doubt that they are going to be shouting for someones head now it's happened but that's just human nature.

Well, according to "one local resident" ...and the BBC it's now "worse than 1947" (my late neighbours, who lived here then, had many photos of the centre of the village being navigated by boat). And, yes, the centre of the village is now underwater. Son just phoned and there's almost no way out.. no trains, roads blocked, and I've just suggested to him that he may want to come home again as he may not be able to do so by this evening.

No trains, no roads....

Careful Betty, you could look last year,  are we zipped across the shoulders or asymmetric it matters you know, still it will make a good photo for the local papers.  How about wedging Eric Pickles across the thames, should act as a barrier mind you the Japanese may harpoon him first.

Betty, can you actually see flood waters from your road?

I've been watching Sky News this morning and, whilst paying attention to the Somerset levels area, I've not actually realised how bad the Thames valley also is.

Stay safe and give us a "picture" (a word one will do) when you are able?

All the best.....

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

Your only posting this today chancer because your "other forum" has crashed, and you are bored because you can't read the thoughts of a halfwit/Troll who feels a bit french, or you miss seeing people verbally bullied by the know all experts. [:D]

[/quote]

Such as this chap?

http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/the-death-of-expertise/

I think "fiddling while Rome burns", the possibly apochryphal story of Nero, sits better with me than the present match-slanging and mud-slinging between left and right, local councillors and London-based "national" politicians, Environment Agency and Environment Ministry, and so on.

I suggest we put Eric Pickles and Chris Smith in sumo wrestling suits (after all they are plenty big enough) and let them weigh into each other.

The loser will be dunked three times into the Thames and taken out twice.  Ditto for the winner.