Listing the "stuff" your leave in the house when you sell

mint

Rowland, ask at your mairie as I believe that it might be different for different areas![:-))]

Even in the Charente M, it used to be an office about 10 minutes from our house and now it is in some centralised office for all of the Charente M.  I rang our mairie and even they couldn't have known about the new telephone number as they gave me one that did not work but there was a message to give the right one.

I hear a lot of talk about SPANC but for our house it was the Syndicat des Eaux, Charente Maritime.

As for the things being left, I now understand totally what good old Norman was on about; that is, leaving nothing!  Whatever you leave does not count unless you need the value of the items listed individually (as Pommier has pointed out) to cut down on your capital gains tax.

As we are making zilch (in fact, losing rather a lot if you counted the cost of improvements), our notaire said that we had no need to supply the cost of anything.  I gave him the list and sent it to the purchasers (photos too) so that they would know we are really going to be leaving them what we said we would.  It's good to gain the trust of the purchasers, build that up and then, if there is some small glitch later on, they are far more likely to make allowances for those!

Just wanted to mention that the listing/pricing of items we left (including the kitchen) wasn't anything to do with CGT as we're residents, but more helping the buyers as the notaire apportioned the costs to reduce the tax payable by the buyer.

Yes, Pommier, I did understand that that was what you meant.

But our notaire said that the listing wouldn't be necessary as we had no capital gains to account for.  I suppose he must mean that, as we'd left that house 3 years ago, it could be counted as a second home.

I asked him to do what he could for the buyers as they were a young couple and this would be their first home. I was thinking of what you said about the tax situation.  He said that the price was for the house AND contents so perhaps he will just put a figure on the stuff left.

It was rather a long list, in excess of 40 items with many items such as "1 canapé et 2 fauteuils" counting only as one.  Took me forever to do it but I felt it was worthwhile.

It is no hardship leaving any of it because they are things I no longer want, do not suit our present place, are now redundant to requirements or generally go better with that style of house than this one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Angela, are you about?

Just thought I'd mention that I was in Aldi a few days ago and, lo and behold, there was a loo-roll holder for sale!  And what do they call it?  A dérouleur des papiers!

I swear they make up these words as they go along [:-))]

Anyway, I found a couple of light fittings close to the ceiling so I called them "plafonniers" as I am sure I have heard that word before! 

Ah sweet17, they are called 'derouleur' and some mighty fancy ones can be seen in France, so ornate, personally I have never seen the like in the UK. Not for me, not my style, but still, for those who like there is an incredible choice.