Listing the "stuff" your leave in the house when you sell

mint

Don't quite know where to place this question and don't think that I'd put it in the French Language section as that doesn't seem to attract many punters [:D]

I am making a list, taking photos of the things I have negotiated to leave in the house we are selling.

So, would you just say "meubles"?  Would that word cover everything like garden sheds, ride-on mower, as well as furniture as we would understand it in English?

I am OK with most things to do with sitting on, lying upon, cooking with, eating off, etc.  However, here are just a couple that I would like the names in French for:

curtain brackets and/or tie-backs

bathroom fittings (collective name will do as I am not listing the number of gold-plated loo-roll holders [:P])

I have decided, incidentally, to call spotlights, "spots" as the French do and I will make a distinction between "lustres", "appliques", "lanternes", "lampes" and so on.

Some of the money is specifically for all the things that I can't really be bothered to take with me so I do want to make a comprehensive list, both to let the buyers see how much value they are getting for their dosh and for me to realise how pleased I am that I now have that extra money to spend on yet more "stuff" that I will no doublt want to leave behind next time I move, LOL!

The seller of our previous house returned a week or two later and asked if he could have the toilet seat he left.

It was coloured to match the toilet, so I was a bit worried he would end up wanting the whole suite[:-))]

He said I could get a new one easily from Mr Bricolage, so I suggested he did that himself.

He was from Beziers, though......

Can't any of you give straightforward answers to straightforward questions?[:'(]

Come on, chaps and chapesses, the name for bathroom fittings and curtain brackets or tie-backs, svp!

Actually, once I have listed everything including a large Castorama "summer house", 3 Godin ovens (haut de gamme), Husquarvana ride-on mower with mulcher, PLUS the house itself, don't forget [:-))], perhaps I should have doubled the price?

Only joking, just pleased to have sold; believe it or not  it's not so much for the money, but just not to have OH worry about the damned grass this coming summer.

I'll only be spending the loot on more ridiculous stuff, no doubt, and then all the new things will become redundant next time; you can bank on it! 

Ooooh thanks, Angela.

Porte whatever will be fine, such as portemanteau, porte brosse à dents, porte torchons, you get the idea.....[:D]

Yes, just great; I'll list all the things that can be "porte-d"? 

Hey, where is everybody's input when you need it?

I thought there'd be suggestions by the shed-load.

Anyway, don't say I haven't tried to get this topic aired and, when you have to make your own list and you come on here wanting to know what to write, I will refer you to this thread and you will find it scant on information.  You have been WARNED![6]

Got to take a breather now and do something more interesting like change the light bulb in the bathroom.

On top of everything else, I have forgotten how to format documents, use bullet points, set things out neatly, etc etc.

Then, all the words and phrases I use on a regular basis with total confidence now send me rushing to the dictionary in a welter of anxiety.  Is it rez-DE-chaussée or r-DES-ch and does it have an extra "e" to show it's feminine?  Is "palier" correctly spelt or does it have another "e" making it feminine?  And so it goes on and on....

Don't know why I don't already have this stuff at the tip of my tongue or even at my finger-tips, but there we are.....

I have now exhausted all the various uses for "portes" and "supports" as per Angela's excellent suggestion.

Then, I listed the fire-irons, or at least I tried to think what I might call them; ending with kit tissonier as all this cerebral activity is doin' my head in. 

Thanks, TB, lovely catch-all word accessoires.

"Poêle à bois et ses accessoires" would save all that wondering what to call fire-irons, wouldn't it?[:)]

I wouldn't worry about listing everything in the normal run of things but I negotiated a nice, useful sum over and above the offer price and the buyers specifically said they were borrowing extra to take account of this aspect of the sale.

Fire-irons, LOL, you couldn't give them away in the UK!

However, these are rather magnificent, with brass knobs at the end of the handles and a poker that would feature convincingly in an Agatha Christie murder mystery.

Thanks again. 

Is it a companion set? If so, that's a serviteur poêles à bois. When we sold our last house we left lots of things included in the price (things we sold to the buyers we didn't involve the notaire and dealt in cash). The notaire wanted a list of every item, with the value and preferably a receipt so that he could reduce the house price, saving the buyers a little bit of tax.

Thanks, Pommier, yes, I suppose you'd call it a companion set.  It's very hefty and looks the part, LOL!

Fortunately, we do have all the factures and I guess our notaire might be doing as yours did, especially as these are VERY young people buying their first house.  Well, they look barely out of school to me but both have jobs, have their mortgage agreed and the girl has a lovely family of parents, 3 brothers and a sister who all came to admire the house and garden and try out the furniture!

They even flew down specially from St Omer to view and keep chasing me to get everything ready for them to sign.  In the end, I just pointed them to the notaires de france site so that they can read for themselves the different étapes of house-buying.

As the ovens alone were the cost of a nice, family-sized car in those days, perhaps he can save them quite a bit of cash?[:D] 

Thanks, guys, for the help and suggestions; now finished to the best of my ability and looking very neat and clear with numbered pages.

Just going to add photos of the most expensive items.  That way, all is transparent and I wouldn't be able to replace the Godin poêle, say, with some old rusty chaudière picked up at the déchetterie [:D]

Why not just look in a catalogue such as this for the vocabulary?

http://www.laredoute.fr/achat-meubles-deco.aspx?categoryid=22890847

and

http://www.laredoute.fr/achat-linge-de-maison.aspx?categoryid=22890817

Surely you are not seriously going to leave stuff behind?  I have never known that happen in 5 moves.

The house you arrive in is naked...you are lucky if it is clean.

I looked at a flat last week and it was made very clear that nothing was included, but I could buy the odd bit of junk.

If I decided to not pay for it it would be sent to Emmaus...but certainly not left free.

You have just added a third meaning of Patére to the two that I already know.

My first Patéres were wall mounted orientable spot lights, the type of thing you might place above a teenagers homework deskspace.

Then I was confused to read that for getting my meublées classified one of the things that I had to have were patéres in my bathrooms, it turned out to mean clothes hook, probably more of the rounded peg type.

And also curtain tie backs, is that certain as its something that I have to discuss tomorrow?

Congratulations on your sale SW17, all the more so as it sounds like it is going to people that you like.

Nah, Chance, clothes hooks are called porte-manteaux; I heard one of viewers call them that![:P]

Shush do NOT talk about the sale as who knows if it WILL really go ahead.

What I particularly liked was that they came quite legitimately from my leboncoin annonce.  So, no agents' fees and I was already robbed of one sale by the sheenanigans of the neighbours and another offer I turned down when the potential buyers wanted to cut out the agent after visiting with her[:@]

So, I feel that I DESERVE this one and, yes, I do like them very much.  They are touchingly trusting of us so the ONLY drawback is, I can't very well pull any fast ones on them now, can I?[:$]

Got all the paperwork ready, after an evening's search, for the notaire tomorrow.

Just wish that bloody plombier who came to replace the chasse of the toilet only last month and which now doesn't work, could be bothered to come before Friday.  Just as well we have two loos, isn't it?

As though he cares now that he's been paid and he has to come back to put right whatever it was that he didn't do properly in the first place[:'(]  Don't they say you win some and lose some?  Me, I'd like to do a bit of winning..............

[quote user="nomoss"]He was from Beziers, though...... [/quote]

Ah well, cheapskate lot they are, except for he who will remain  nameless in his barrel there, of course!!

Glad to hear the omens for the sale are good, Sweet, ours is going nowhere, after some small spurt of interest in the new year!  Grrr!

Judith, the selling season is only just beginning so do not be disheartened.  AND, you only need the ONE buyer!

Went to see the notaire today to ask him to prepare the compromis and only now realise that any fosse more than 3 years old will have to be inspected.  Will now go on the appropriate site for our area and do a bit of reading and glean some info about these inspections.

Bon courage, Judith............it WILL happen [:D]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Sweets, don't forget that if you leave mattresses, you have to count the springs![/quote]

Or simply just oil them, perhaps?

Wools, I'se gonna send you a PM when I have finished some nail-biting stuff like fill in the formules for the Syndicat des Eaux, etc.  Probably after lunch sometime.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Sweets, don't forget that if you leave mattresses, you have to count the springs![/quote]

Or simply just oil them, perhaps?

Wools, I'se gonna send you a PM when I have finished some nail-biting stuff like fill in the formules for the Syndicat des Eaux, etc.  Probably after lunch sometime.