Elections Municipales

[quote user="idun"]I had no idea that Valls was a spanish immigrant. I must say that I prefer Taubira to Valls, but only 'just'. There seems few in the current government I would put my trust in, and these feeling spill over into the opposition too.

As all our income comes from France, french politics will always remain of great interest to me[Www]

[/quote]

Valls was born in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, and became a naturalized French citizen in 1982. He is a prominent supporter of F.C. Barcelona, the famous club whose anthem was composed by his second cousin and namesake.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="idun"]I had no idea that Valls was a spanish immigrant. I must say that I prefer Taubira to Valls, but only 'just'. There seems few in the current government I would put my trust in, and these feeling spill over into the opposition too.

As all our income comes from France, french politics will always remain of great interest to me[Www]

[/quote]

Valls was born in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, and became a naturalized French citizen in 1982. He is a prominent supporter of F.C. Barcelona, the famous club whose anthem was composed by his second cousin and namesake.

Not being français  de souche is on of the  ways in which he resembles Sarkozy...

Norman, I just knew you would have something to say regarding the new Béziers mayor, and I popped back here to see what your take was...

Several Brits from around here, who go and shop in the Béziers Polygone rather frequently, are threatening to move their custom to Montpellier [:D] although this might only slightly impact on the town's new economy.

Idun, I share your suspicions re. Manuel Vals - I have really tried to like him (or what he says and does) and just can't. I find him only slightly less objectionable than Jean-François Copé but they both strike me as rather vicious, Vals's saving grace  might be that he seems a bit less sournois than J.F. Copé. Someone (French) summarised the choice of Vals as prime minister as "Hollande getting himself a d-i-ck" (ooops, that might get censored here although, nothing personal here, it is all metaphorical of course!)

5-e, how I agree with you as regards both Valls and Copé [:'(]

BTW, lovely to see you back on the Forum.  NOW that you ARE back, can you look out for a post I am going to put on the French expressions thread because I don't know a better person than your good self to explain the distinction to me [:D]

Idun your 'gut' reaction to Valis reminds me of a friend of mine to Blair.

She had been in the Labour Party for years and went to the local meeting to meet her new leader. When she got home she cancelled her membership. She still doesn't think she was wrong.

Hoddy

Heard this on the radio this morning  (text copied from www.aracityradio.com)

NO TWINS FOR HAYANGE

Diekirch (Luxembourg) says it wants to scrap its twinning arrangement with Hayange in Lorraine.  Hayange is now in control of a National Front council following local elections in France at the week-end.  Diekirch Mayor, Paul Haagen, who is  the president of  the LSAP in Luxembourg, says political cooperation with the National Front is unthinkable.  Arlon (Belgium), which is also twinned with Hayange, has already announced an end of the twinning arrangement