Calais camps - where will they go?

Well, you cannot fly them back to the country from whence they came because they destroy all documentation so it cannot be established.

They will just move somewhere else near Calais and carry on trying to get in to Britain - bit difficult arguing that British benefit system is not over generous or easy otherwise they would go to other EU countries.

can't it be established at which border they entered into France and just drop them there? Although the border country (Italy?) might not receive them, of course, but in my experience you can just drive straight through.

But yes, a problem for the residents of the surrounding areas and it's a problem that isn't going to be going away easily.

When I was still in France and we had friends staying with us we caught the train to Turin. It was halted at the Frejus tunnel on our way and quite a number of people without papers taken from the train by, well I'm not sure if they were italian or french officials.

And then that evening on our way back, same thing happened, train stopped at the Frejus tunnel and more people were taken off. Again not sure if these officials were french or italian.

Very strange it was.

The french could have addressed the problem of Sangatte/Calais many years ago, but did not. They could tighten security at the port, which I do believe that they should what with the risk of terrorism these days, but they did not.

Still there has been a lot said recently about half the vehicules in the french military, whether they be air sea or land are useless and need replacing they are in such poor and often unusable state. And if the french news is report half, then I suspect that there is even a bigger problem. So just getting a few transport planes to ship them out could be harder than perhaps any of us realise.

It always seems like a brave thing to do to run the gauntlet of so many obstacles to get as far as they have. So why were these people not brave enough to fight for a better future in their own countries and prefer to run away? That I will never understand.

An interesting read on a never ending problem it would appear !

http://www.migrantvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=498:from-europe-to-the-uk-migrants-in-calais&catid=46:migration-matters

Haile: "I tell people how it is but nobody believes it. You think

that everybody gives you money. I have a friend in Greece, I can’t tell

him to stay in Greece. When in France, agents, people tell you how good

is here."

Girma: "When in Calais, all the information is about the UK. Even

if you don’t want to go to England, everybody changes your mind. In

Calais, you just keep trying […]. No one tells you that you can stay in

France, everybody tells you to go to the UK. Everybody encourages you to

leave.”

So, we'll just leave the border open to the UK completely and then with the namby pamby EU inflicted Human Rights Acts, all those treasured 'rights' we have had, gained and which were hard fought for over centuries by our ancestors are watered down until they have little more value than piddle, because the people who come, still want their own way of living, even if they were not prepared to fight for a better life and stop corruption in their own countries! Because at some point, surely these countries will have to sort themselves out.

Comments please!

My comment is

I am not anti immigration, but............

I moved to another country and lived there for most of my adult life. No one made me go, and I respected the way things were in that country, even though many things were alien to me.

Now I am 'home' there are many things that I don't want. I don't want journalists even say 'honour' killings because there it is despicable murder by monsters and not the sort of human beings I want to share my society with.  I simply don't want lots of cultural things from other countries. I don't want arranged marriages, or genital mutilation. And for all some of these things are now illegal in the UK, these laws are flouted.

One thing I did want in France was everyone living there speaking french, for better or worse, probably worse in my case, but I tried. And in the UK, I want everyone speaking english, or welsh or gaelic depending on where they live. All the family has to fit in.

And I want nothing that erodes in any way women's rights, because they are so recent that in the grand scope of history they happened yesterday.

Very very few are invited these days. If anyone wants to live in the UK, accept us, embrace a new life in a new country. The good things from other cultures slip into UK society anyway, the bad, I never want.

I was interested to see that  Qatar has started to issue publicity

about how tourists visiting for the world cup in 2022 should dress.

Funny that when people from other cultures arrive in the UK they insist

on their right to wear their religion approved dress, when British

people complain they accused of being racist. Funny old life innit.  

[quote user="idun"]So, we'll just leave the border open to the UK completely and then with the namby pamby EU inflicted Human Rights Acts, all those treasured 'rights' we have had, gained and which were hard fought for over centuries by our ancestors are watered down until they have little more value than piddle, because the people who come, still want their own way of living, even if they were not prepared to fight for a better life and stop corruption in their own countries! Because at some point, surely these countries will have to sort themselves out.

Comments please!

[/quote]I  would allow immigration where people have a genuine job to go to. I would restrict access to benefits to those who have contributed for a qualifying period.  I agree that immigrants should adjust to this country and not expect the country to adjust to them. For a start religious slaughter should be banned in the UK. It is a simple welfare issue. Any extradition treaties should be reciprocal and not one-sided like the current UK-USA agreement

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Pierre,

We'll check our car boot the next time we return to GB after a day trip to Calais.

David

[/quote]

Funnily enough, several times I have been asked by UK Border Control, to open my boot to check for stowaways while I've been waiting to board a ferry.  Some hope of stowing away, my car is usually so chock-a -block you couldn't get a mouse in!

I accept it's a problem and the UK can't cope with huge numbers of immigrants but think of it from their point of view. Many of them are fleeing horrendous conditions and it can't be an easy decision to leave one's family and country. Some of those on the TV item were from Syria where the people have suffered horrendously under the current regime. You try 'fighting corruption' there and you won't live long.

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]I accept it's a problem and the UK can't cope with huge numbers of immigrants but think of it from their point of view. Many of them are fleeing horrendous conditions and it can't be an easy decision to leave one's family and country. Some of those on the TV item were from Syria where the people have suffered horrendously under the current regime. You try 'fighting corruption' there and you won't live long.[/quote]

That's so true, Mrs Trellis - many have nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain if they can get to the UK. The problem is enormous, and unless governments work together it won't be solved.

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]I accept it's a problem and the UK can't cope with huge numbers of immigrants but think of it from their point of view. Many of them are fleeing horrendous conditions and it can't be an easy decision to leave one's family and country. Some of those on the TV item were from Syria where the people have suffered horrendously under the current regime. You try 'fighting corruption' there and you won't live long.[/quote]

There are well over  three quarter of a million people who are in the area of Lybia planning to get into europe . Gadafi when he was in charge took cash from the EU in payment for keeping them  from taking to the water in order to get to Europe . So he was in fact before we called him the "bad" guy and assisted in his downfall doing what the EU wanted in order to help control immigration .

As horrible the war in Syria may be my feeling is there are many very wealthy countries in the Middle east who could take care of refugees without putting  much of a dent in their oil rich wealth . Why do they choose not to get involved ?  Is it because the festering  tribal conflicts that were once kept down by dictators ....They are happy to see get sorted out  once and for all by letting them fight to the death ?

As for fighting corruption there is plenty of that  everywhere but its their fight IMO , and, their fight  belongs in the Middle East .Perhaps when the tribes and religious groupings  have decided who will come out on top and under which ever leader they choose to follow .Things will quieten down and they wont want to leave their home country . Lets hope so as the UK and others cant afford to house the populations that want to flee conflict thats for sure .As much as we might feel sorry for them !  

Of course, "tribes and religious groupings" are so uniquely "foreign", aren't they? Tell that to the people of Northern Ireland, or indeed to the SNP or Plaid Cymru.

Like so much else, we can't have it our own way all the time. As Idun mentioned, many of these people have struggled hard to get as far as Calais. Maybe they could/should have stayed and fought for change in their country of origin. How often I said that 10 years or so ago to people joining the mass exodus to France from the UK, moaning at length about how they were leaving "broken Britain" or "The YUK" ...

Mixed messages are all around us. Like yesterday. I was visiting the village car boot sale with a friend who lives here permanently. The library had a stall, and the lady was most anxious to try and sell me one of the box full of books they had in English. As there seemed to be a choice of Dan Brown or Harry Potter books, I declined, having already jokingly pointed out to the woman, in French, that me buying books in English whilst in France was a bit daft. Sifting through the rest of the books on the stall, my friend, who lives here full time, was talking to me in English, asking my opinion about a certain book, when the same lady behind the stall said, rather reprovingly, "Speak French!" Now, apart from the fact that she knows we both can, and the fact that she'd just spent five minutes trying to sell us books in English, our discussion was both mundane and private, and concluded much more quickly for having been in English.

But then I guess we can expect much more of this sort of thing in England AND France going forward. After all, in our village, over 30% of the electorate voted FN.