France threatened with terrorist attacks by ISIS

NormanH

Any country that claims it is not afraid of IS attacks is not only delusional but positively negligent. The threat presents a clear and present danger and I would hope that all NATO member countries recognise and plan against such attacks.

JSKS so presumably Churchill should have said 'we are quaking in our boots because of the Nazis'. Would have had a negative effect on British morale and a positive effect on German morale.

Think part of IS philosophy is fear so showing any is what they want.

[quote user="PaulT"]JSKS so presumably Churchill should have said 'we are quaking in our boots because of the Nazis'. Would have had a negative effect on British morale and a positive effect on German morale.

Think part of IS philosophy is fear so showing any is what they want.[/quote]

If I remember correctly didn't Churchill recognise and face the threat rather than try and pretend it wasn't there?

''I have nothing to offer except ignoring the threat'' isn't how I remember it.

[quote user="PaulT"]JSKS so presumably Churchill should have said 'we are quaking in our boots because of the Nazis'. Would have had a negative effect on British morale and a positive effect on German morale.

Think part of IS philosophy is fear so showing any is what they want.[/quote]

I think a big fat payout shown on "Wanted Dead or Alive " posters for IS leaders might just give THEM something to fear .....And be cheaper than us looking for them to bomb... I imagine knowing that a lottery win figure is on offer to those all round them would leave them wondering if they were safe and when one of their own might just take them out and go for the cash . Its been tried before and has worked

For a country that fears an Isis attack they're not very efficient.

I would put a link in here from the Depeche last week but my links don't work. Briefly 3 young men were expected back from Syria and were to be arrested on the spot - 3 lawyers all lined up to defend them. The police never turned up.

Also, it puzzles me how these potential terrorists can afford nothing but the best legal defense?

Yes Patf, these young men went and handed themselves in. Probably afraid that IF they came for them, they might not survive the arrest. Just speculating, as this is what has happened in the past to others.

And then the French minister went to Turkey to try and  diplomatically say that he hadn't made the trip to reprimand the turkish authorities, but to put measures in place so that they will work together better in the future. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that meeting!

And the best legal defence? There is the law and there is proper justice and I believe that the two these days are contradictory. I believe that lawyers love using the law. That is how I really feel about it. And maybe if I ever got into trouble I would appreciate being able to wriggle my way out of something I'd done, and appreciate their efforts even more so if I was accused of something I had not done. But still, the whole thing feels off at the moment.

However, that means it gives free leash to those that love 'playing' with the law to do just that. And the worse the case, and the more they love the game, perhaps they will defend people for free, just for the thrill of it all.

I don't feel like there is much proper justice or discipline any more and it has to start with children and held up by the courts and proper punishment dealt out when necessary.

What is the point of being afraid of terrorists? If we see anything suspect we should report it, but frankly, unless the authorities have good intelligence and can bring a halt to it all, then I don't see what we can do other than lead our lives and say to hell with them.

At the moment I wouldn't go anywhere in the world where there is trouble, war or illness, but that is because I wouldn't want anyone else having to risk themselves to perhaps save me, it would be selfish of me to do that.

[quote user="Frederick"]

I think a big fat payout shown on "Wanted Dead or Alive " posters for IS leaders might just give THEM something to fear .....And be cheaper than us looking for them to bomb... I imagine knowing that a lottery win figure is on offer to those all round them would leave them wondering if they were safe and when one of their own might just take them out and go for the cash . Its been tried before and has worked[/quote]

Certainly worth a try.

I am squeamish about blood shed on the large scale envisioned but even I have to admit that I don't know what else you could do with people who are psychopaths and have no compassion and no conscience.

Some god if they really believe that their god is sanctioning all this brutality.

I agree with what you say, Idun, except for "what is the point of being afraid of terrorists?"

After the Merah case in Toulouse, in March 1912, where they should have had him in custody, it doesn't look as if the French anti-terrorist lot are taking their job seriously.

[quote user="Patf"]I agree with what you say, Idun, except for "what is the point of being afraid of terrorists?"

After the Merah case in Toulouse, in March 1912, where they should have had him in custody, it doesn't look as if the French anti-terrorist lot are taking their job seriously.

[/quote]

It's OK, I keep doing the 19 instead of 20 too.

French anti terrorist squad, you are right, I don't think that they or the gendarmes or CRS take their jobs seriously enough. But saying that, should it make 'me' start to worry about leaving my home and what might happen, I simply refuse to.

I'm going to France soon, I have concerns, but when looking at flights my biggest worry has been french air traffic controllers and AF pilots. I won't book with AF, but as I like KLM they are rather linked aren't they. The controllers are something quite different.

ISIS is the whole bl**dy river, and the second VIII

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/25-09-2012072708_zps7c874686.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/25-09-2012072708_zps7c874686.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="Patf"]. Briefly 3 young men were expected back from Syria and were to be arrested on the spot - 3 lawyers all lined up to defend them. The police never turned up.
[/quote]

I can assure you that the CRS were attacking their task very seriously and conscientously at the exact time, that the terrorists flight arrived .

Between 12 and 14.30 [:D]

Re the 3 young men.

They were supposed to fly to Paris from Turkey and were not put on that plane but put on a plane to Marseille. No one told the french authorities and I do believe that they may have had people waiting in Paris, but there was no one in Marseille. Their names were not even flagged up on the system.

The french minister went to see the turkish minister, he said not to tell him off but to sort out communications between the two countries. HOWEVER, these young men had to go through passport control in Marseille and the french authorities were negligent in their duty, by not flagging these men up.

quel bordel!

When I heard the news headlines last night after XFactor I was horrified at yet another beheading of a westerner. However, with the risk of being kidnapped known for some time now and the latest victim told not go to Syria, I cannot understand why anyone would especially if they have a family back in the UK. I think too, anyone who leaves their home country to go and fight for these murderous barbarians should never be allowed to return or if they do, be put in prison for life,meaning no release ever. Would they not be classed as traitors which I thought carried the death penalty in cases such as this?

Val beat me to it as I was going to post something similar after I read that the brother of Alan Dunning had a pop at the UK government for not doing enough to get him released. Quite what they could or should do in these circumstances is beyond me. Mr Dunning went to Syria of his own accord and probably against his family's wishes so must have known the risks.

Having read a bit about who's funding IS there is unlikely to be an easy or quick end to their terror campaign. The most bizarre thing I read was that Saudi Arabia's ruling family funded their initial weapon purchases but now that IS is out of control are using their own air force to destroy them.

Personally I would have liked the UK to have stayed out of the fight as I see it as Muslim against Muslim but as usual the Arabs don't want to get their hands dirty in case it really goes tits up and they can blame the West.