Survey request

Had a call yesterday about a survey. I asked what organisation and it's AGC, possibly AJC. They made an appointment, saying they are working in all the villages round here. Promised they are not selling things, Asked what fuel we use and if we have double glazing - I said 'triple'.

But I'm wondering.... Has anyone heard of them? I don't want my time wasted as have other things to do.

Suspicious as had the cursed Indians twice yesterday, claiming to call from Glasgow UK, and knowing I'm in France. Where do they get my number?

Probably going to try and flog you solar energy panels or similar. It is a bit like the double glazing people back in the UK who knock on your door saying they are fitting units round the corner from you so they can offer you a special price. If they ask you if you're the owner then it is normally to sell you something but I get in first and say I rent the place at which point they put the phone down on me.

I get at least three or four of these "selling" calls per week under the guise of a survey.I know when I see what number or name comes up on the phone screen usually and when they start the spiel of whether you are proprietaire or not I just ask who they are and then say not interested or if they are particularly aggressive I just lay the phone down for a few minutes next to the TV. I would not buy anything from someone who has rung up out of the blue and asks questions and certainly would not allow them to come to the house either!

The "survey" usually consists of asking you personal questions such as are you the owner, do you work, have you got this or that installed etc, that is a sort of survey to find out all about you before they pounce and do the hard sell of usually solar panels,fire extinguishers,furniture or insulation or new windows etc. If you are not a home owner they seem to hang up pretty dam quick because they know you cannot buy such things from them.

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]

But I'm wondering.... Has anyone heard of them? I don't want my time wasted as have other things to do. [/quote]

But even if they are "genuine" and won't try to sell you something, why would you want to waste your time anyway?

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]Had a call yesterday about a survey. I asked what organisation and it's AGC, possibly AJC. [/quote]

Phonetically, AJC = AGISSEZ ( = ACT), which could mean anything (political action; dog mess; environment; alternative electricity supplier...)

There's an AGC Glass, which sells glazing.

I suspect they'll go through a survey-type questionnaire and end up trying to sell you something or other...

The mairie will let you know of any legitimate, official survey in the area. Anything else is a sales pitch in disguise.

Personally, I would have told them where to go, even if "they are working in all the villages round here".

I usually interrupt them with, "Excusez moi, mais je suis anglais. Je parle francais mais pas toujours bien." Which usually gets a polite sorry for bothering you response (in French).

[And yes I know that my statement is not grammatically correct. That kind of makes the point. :-) ]

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]We found we needed to go out at the appointment time! If I get any more calls like this I will ask why they need to know whether we own our house.

I don't mind genuine surveys. I have a certain sympathy as I once did surveys for the Office for National Statistics.[/quote]

As I mentioned, if you rent or are in social housing you cannot install or buy their products as you do not own the property plus they probably think you are poor as well which is ridiculous but a stigma to such businesses all the same.