Help needed

This is a long shot.

Mrs PD lost her wedding ring in the garden yesterday. For some reason it fell off her hand whilst mowing the grass.

It's very upsetting particularly as it's been on her finger for the last 45 years.

I'm hoping that there is some kind person who has a metal detector sensitive enough to detect gold and who is willing to either let me borrow it or hire it so that I can search.

We are in Normandy, not too far from Percy.

Here's hoping !

I do sympathise, not a nice thing to happen.

I have a metal detector that I used to use for finding lost arrows on a shooting range.  To be honest, it's not that good quality and has seen much use but is quite sensitive, we used to find no end of bottle tops and ring pulls.  I haven't used it for years but I'll put a new battery in it and see what happens.  You can have it for the cost of postage but let me see if it works first.

Just a thought but have you tried ebay or leboncoin ?

...or maybe there's an association des metal-detectors in your area?

I do so sympathise. A friend lost hers while helping on our allotment many years ago. Luckily her husband had a metal detector, which he went home and fetched. Eventually he located it deep among the weeds in the wheelbarrow.

Good luck with finding it.

Angela

Try a dog - I'm not being funny, we used to have a collie who found everything we lost (car keys, phones, even jigsaw puzzle pieces.)  We would take something similar to the lost item, rub it to make it smell of us, show it to him and then pretend to throw it in the general area we had lost the thing, and off he would go and sniff away until he found it.  Very handy.   Appreciate all dogs are not the same - our current incumbent wouldn't have a clue!

Chrissie (81)

Good luck, it is obviously precious to her.

But I have ask, is she absolutely sure that she has lost it where she thinks she has. My friend recently lost her wedding ring and weeks later found it amoungst the clean towels in the airing cupboard and not at all where she thought it had slipped off and as it has a diamond in it, believed me they did look hard.

Me, well bare hands. I know I had a wedding ring and maybe I wore it for a couple of years, but for the rest of the 35 years, I have not worn it or had a desire to do so.

A little suggestion if it really is not found. Renew your vows and get her a new one.

Would the romantic gesture of you on one knee, saying 'well we'll have to do something about this, I'll just have to remarry you all over again' go down well?

[quote user="powerdesal"]Catalpa,

I did post on Anglo info but so far have had zero response.[/quote]

That confirms my opinion that it is a useless irrelevance in the greater scheme of things, then...

Idun's idea is a nice one... but of course, bear in mind that if you think there might be a problem with the answer, it's always best to consider not posing the question: "will you marry me all over again, dear...?" [Www]

I'm not really romantic either, but I know some people like it.

But you could still do something. Just sit next to her, nudge your shoulder against hers and say - 'sweetheart', or 'you old bat', or what ever term of endearment you usually use[Www]. And ask if she would like a new ring and maybe she'd like renew your vows.

I just hope that you can find the 'original'.

• 5 months later...
I resurrected this thread to say that the wedding ring has been found !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not in the garden as was first thought, I found it this morning when delving into a box of winter clothes ( I was cold ) and there it was.

It obviously slipped off SWMBOs finger when she was tidying up.

It's now safely re-united but on a neck chain as it's a bit too loose for conventional wearing.

Our friend lost his car keys whilst we were on holiday with them. They had a spare set with them, but we searched high and low. Found weeks later, he'd been checking the oil and water prior to the journey home and left the keys on the engine. Nearly 500mile drive and ferry crossing and they were just where he had popped them.

So mint, maybe you should try the car.

Yes, I think I'd better go look for myself.

I'd get a spare set pronto, IF the devis wasn't 162 euros for just the one key and re-coding the new as well as the old key [:'(]

There is a lot to be said for these no-frills, basic renaults that the French seem to prefer.  Lost your key, oh, just use the end of a hair clip or a wire coat hanger or whatever and start it in seconds?[:D]