colder than Anchorage

mint

That's been us for the last few days!

What is it/has been like for others on the Forum?

We have had glorious sunshine and virtually no wind and it's forecast to get milder.  Seems to be a choice of either sunny and really cold or rainy and very dull...............don't know which I prefer.

Cold, down to 10° some days, (just above freezing at night all the same) but beautiful sunshine. I have been able to eat outside on the sun-trap terrace, sheltered from the wind which has been strong, just between 12 and 14.30. Since Christmas I have needed to keep a jumper on but before it was ok in a shirt most days.

Some people didn't even need that to go in the water which as down to 8°...

http://www.midilibre.fr/2014/12/31/cap-d-agde-un-dernier-bain-de-l-annee-dejante,1104893.php

I am NOT in one of the photos but I think I see WB in the 7th of the series wearing his trademark 'capote' [6]

Minus 5 last Sunday with a huge wind chill as the strong winds that had stopped all the channel crossings blew themselves out.

Lovely and sunny hence the low temp, I did a 15k run and it was all on exposed and high ground  around the Thiepval ridge where the WW1 monument is, my lips and nose were freezing running into the wind but better that than to be in a trench during the bombardment.

Most days it gets above zero and most nights it falls well below, the fog that hangs around for weeks keeps the temperatures up but I much prefer  clear but cold days, the wet, damp and dull conditions really sap the morale when they go on for weeks.

When I read of double figure températures and walking around in shirt sleeves it make me realise what a big country this is. 

I am working inside today but still have to wear long johns, thermal long sleeve vest, wicking shirt with a military polaire over the top and only keep warm by working and moving continously, even when I return to my heated flat nothing comes off, in fact my feet are cold through the tiled floor and I am still wearing my boots and thermal socks.

16° in the lounge, 12° and falling in the unheated bedroom

We have had a rum old week, it is very very windy here tonight, and has been windy for a full day. It was below zero earlier in the week, all day (and night), but we didn't have any snow. Last night was about 8° and it's been over 11 all day today and now, it's nearly 14° outside.

My old french village has lots of snow and it is very cold and sunny.

I love snow but it's as rare as hens' teeth here.

Norman, I enjoyed the pictures you posted and I do envy your being able to eat outdoors. 

I have tons of leaves to rake and clear up and I turn a blind eye to house-cleaning as I love being outdoors when it's cold and clear.

Coming back late afternoon in the car today, the sunset was spectacular and I could see how beautiful the moon looked on the other side of the sky.

I felt the cold terribly yesterday for some reason and, to walk the dog, I had on some old, warm-lined golfing trousers, my ski jacket, scarf, hat, ski gauntlets and I still felt the cold sort of seeping into my very innards.

Made a massive pot of leek and potato soup today and had a good helping before going out...........really nice.........

Best of all, the days are definitely getting longer[:D]

This afternoon

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/10881526_10152966961640680_824055496198210_n_zpsd6895570.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/10881526_10152966961640680_824055496198210_n_zpsd6895570.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="NormanH"]This afternoon

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/10881526_10152966961640680_824055496198210_n_zpsd6895570.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/10881526_10152966961640680_824055496198210_n_zpsd6895570.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[/quote]

Grrrrrrr .....!

Thanks a lot for that, NH(!)

We do sometimes say to each other "Shall we nip down to Palavas for a walk on the beach? Are you SURE that we sold the right place?"

However, we have the option of going down and hiring other people's places (ie gites, B&B, hotels) now. Just have to put a little bit more effort in, that's all!

Bonjour, Pickles.  As the Americans might say:  are you missing us already?[:P]

And Chance, you are right about cold, damp, misty weather; it so dampens the spirit.

Nothing like as cold here today but it IS very dreary and I can't breathe as well.  Now I remember why I was determined to leave Wales!

This is not good for the old asthma and I struggled with the rameur this morning, managing only 20 minutes[:(]

Apologies to Crakpot. It has been pointed out to me that a couple of mountains to the south east are just within the Allier department. I had wrongly assumed that all the high places were over the "border" and that the whole of the Allier was like our patch - rolling countryside. I must get out more.