Would You Call Your Daughter Nutella?

CSV

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30993608

A French court has stopped parents from naming their baby girl Nutella

after the hazelnut spread, ruling that it would make her the target of

derision.

The judge ordered that the child be called Ella instead.

He said in his ruling that the name Nutella was the trade name of a spread that is commonplace in Gallic homes.

"And it is contrary to the child's interest to have a name that can only

lead to teasing or disparaging thoughts," he pronounced.

French parents are usually free to choose the names of their children,

but local prosecutors are empowered to report what they deem to be

unsuitable names to a family court.

The parents in the case on Monday did not attend the court hearing, so

the judge decided in their absence that Ella was a more appropriate

name.

Without looking this up, I am sure that I have read that after the revolution people were calling their babies all sort of odd names like 'Chaisse' or 'Chaussure'. And when everything calmed down, new laws/rules came in eventually whereby children could only be called authorised names, and they had to be registered within 48 hours of the birth, or there abouts. IF the birth wasn't registered then the child got the saint's name of that day.

So, and we were told this, one cannot just call one's child 'anything', and so this doesn't suprise me. HOWEVER, it shocks me as choosing 'Ella'? Now that in french will lead to all sorts of derision, kids playing with the sound of a conguaison.

Wish they would do that here to be honest. There is someone called Katie Hopkins in the UK, ex AlanSugar Apprentice and general 'rent a foul gob'. And she said this....

Former Apprentice contestant Katie Hopkins has caused outrage with an appearance on ITV’s This Morning

by claiming that she “didn’t like” children with "lower class” names

such as Charmaine, Chantelle, Chardonnay and Tyler and that she would

prevent her own offspring from playing with them.

“A name, for me, is a short way of working out what class that child

comes from,” Hopkins said. “[And I can decide from that] do I want my

child to play with them?”

And yet, she called one of her children India, and for me that is as bad as the names she considers 'lower class'. I cannot be doing with junk names of any sort. Although, I think that Charmaine is a perfectly good old name, as I don't mind 'old' names, there are many babies being called them these days.

Incidentally, someone I used to know in France called their daughter Lolita, and it may be permitted, but really........ just felt plain wrong.

This is a true account of a conversation that my mum once had when she was a Nurse on a maternity ward.

Mum. " Congratulations Mrs Lott, you've had a lovely baby girl, what are you going to call her".

Mrs Lott replied. " Mona".

I've lost count of the amount of times I have heard my mum talk about that.

Now, should I feel guilty about naming my daughter 'Holly'. She was born in December, so that's my excuse.

It does however confuse some French folk because they hear it as ' Au Lit'. Which means, 'go to bed'.

As the Ozzies adopted American deep South names, like Darlene, Charlene etc and came up with all sorts of maniac variants, it has surprised me to date, no little girly has been named Chlorine!

Next I suppose it could be Charmella; particularly since with Chav parents she would be anything but.

Someone should have a word with the people in the Far East when they choose their anglicised names too. I reckon all the blokes just get a copy of Thomas the Tank Engine from which to choose names, and when I was living in Singapore, a colleague from Hong Komg (Australian, but raised in HK) told me that her brother had had a girlfriend called Strawberry, and that she was once served in McDonalds by a girl whose name badge announced that she was called Chlorophyll.

I always have to smile when I hear the name Goodluck Jonathan; Jonathan Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan doesn't have quite the same ring about it. He probably doesn't deserve my smiles, as there's a lot heard of his name in connection with corruption, but I'm not smiling at him, just his name.