Thank goodness for the French custom of............

mint

not sending Christmas cards but having all of January to send out cards that say meilleurs voeux?

In this respect, I follow French tradition because I am never organised sufficiently for Christmas to be sending out cards in good time.

So much more relaxing to get the Christmas hoohah to subside, eat up all the Christmas goodies, drink up the Christmas booze and THEN think about sending out cards, don't you think?

BTW, although I say these things, I don't make a big deal about Christmas now that I have no family obligation to feed the hordes etc and we spend Christmas as quietly as possible and I do not overindulge because I can't bear the dreariness of January and February with being fat as well as everything else.

What an excellent tradition - I'll have to suggest it to my husband, mint. Every year he works right up until the last minute, so Christmas is very nearly a single-person effort in our house.  It's just 5 of us for Christmas day, but there always seems a lot to do and takes a couple of weeks to fully recover from.  Also, Mr Vivienz invariably fails to buy sufficient Christmas cards for his meagre needs and leaves me short.  Matters are exacerbated by having a few 'old school' friends and aunties who send 'thank you' cards for presents, resulting in not just the pre-requisite Christmas card but also January 'thank you' cards in return!  Being able to postpone the whole card thing until January (which will give Mr V more than adequate time to buy sufficient of his own cards) would make things much easier.

Am bound to confess though that that joke about communicado isn't mine.

It was a Peter Cooke or Dudley Moore one.  Years old, when answerphone messages were a novelty![:-))]

The message said something along the lines of: Sorry, I can't answer at the moment, I am incommunicado. When I  return from communicado, I will get in touch.

How innocent those jokes sound these days, not an F word within hearing[:)]