AZERTY

Spyder

If someone would be so kind as to tell me. Do English ipads and iphones

have AZERTY keyboards???? Just curious. And I would like to know if,

when I eat banana cake will I still get indigestion like when I eat

bananes (sorry slipped into French there, must be because I lived there

so long and am fluent, just seems très naturel) on a night time?

I can't

really think of any more inconsequential things to post this time of

night, maybe a glass of vin rouge (Oh there I go again!!!!) would help

but they don't seem to sell it in Newcastle, well not like the stuff I

bought when I lived in France.

[quote user="Spyder"]If someone would be so kind as to tell me. Do English ipads and iphones

have AZERTY keyboards???? Just curious. And I would like to know if,

when I eat banana cake will I still get indigestion like when I eat

bananes (sorry slipped into French there, must be because I lived there

so long and am fluent, just seems très naturel) on a night time?

I can't

really think of any more inconsequential things to post this time of

night, maybe a glass of vin rouge (Oh there I go again!!!!) would help

but they don't seem to sell it in Newcastle, well not like the stuff I

bought when I lived in France.[/quote]

Mais alors......... I'm amazed that you would pay any attention to anything I post, but you seem to have, and rather more than I expected anyone to.........  come to think.........that is actually slightly disturbing, nay creepy, but not the worst I have had on here.

Incidentally I don't live in Newcastle and never have. Lovely city though, lovely people (most of the time), worth a visit.

And wine, well, last time I opened any wine was to put in a fish sauce a few days ago, last time I drank some....... middle of last year, perhaps. I don't really drink, but I do love my food.

And I like coming on here too. But if no one posts, then the board dies, so whilst you 'imagine' you are being 'drôle', I 'm not amused. And I must add, that is rare for me, because by nature I usually find something amusing in most situations........ and that might not come across on here....... but I have the laugh lines on this old face to prove it. [:)]

Indigestion when eating Banana Cake is often caused by the tin.

Try not eating the tin.

I am not surprised the "French Wine" sold in Newcastle is dissimilar to that sold in France.

The Newcastle Brown Ale sold in France, is completely different from the local Geordie product.

Historically, the French brasseurs tried to copy India Pale Ale (IPA).

French brasseurs tried shipping ale from Rouen to the Tropics and back: and it made little difference to their product.

So they handed over their recipes to the Trappiste monks in the Ardennes and there you are.

Meanwhile, Charles the Bold, the guv of the Duchy of Bourgogne popped his clogs; and the people passed over sovereignty of the vast nation - stretching from Dijon to the Jurra and including the Low Countries, Flanders. Artois and Picardy and much of the Loire Valley, too - back to the French.

So the canny English reverted to Claret; which it wasn't, really, as they, as always, mispronounced "Clairet": whch bears about as much resemblance to the vin de Bordelais as does Trappiste beer to Newcastle Brown Ale of IPA!

Which just goes to show.

It's a funny old World............

[Www]

I'm not sure I understand Idunit? Your posts never for a moment crossed my mind. Why would you ever think that?

Newcastle is a great city, spent my youth there, well most Saturday nights at the New Orleans Jazz Club behind the Central Station anyway.

I too think everyone should post regularly on here to stop it dying out, even if the posts are nonsense - like this one.

Ah Newcastle Brown Ale, that brings back memories. It's got to be drunk from the bottle (the clubs wouldn't allow glasses for obvious reasons) and you are quite correct the French import is rubbish. Not that the French would appreciate it anyway.

Now you have me reminiscing of drunken nights behind the Central Station when I was but a young lad.

Gluestick said: The Newcastle Brown Ale sold in France, is completely different from the local Geordie product.

Sadly, Newcastle Brown is now produced in Tadcaster near York. AND the americans have made the brewery change the recipe, they don't like the colour apparently, something to do with the caramel, AND as they drink more of it than anywhere else, changed it will be. We are told that this will not change the taste, like the new Cadbury's Eggs will still taste like cadbury's eggs......... for the first time in years, I haven't even bought one.

-------------------------------------------------------------

......there is a tightrope.......one side can be amusing, wickedly amusing, black comedy (love all three)........and being creepy....... and the latter is where this falls for me, and that is not good, whatever the initial intention.

[quote user="idun"]Gluestick said: The Newcastle Brown Ale sold in France, is completely different from the local Geordie product.

Sadly, Newcastle Brown is now produced in Tadcaster near York. AND the americans have made the brewery change the recipe, they don't like the colour apparently, something to do with the caramel, AND as they drink more of it than anywhere else, changed it will be. We are told that this will not change the taste, like the new Cadbury's Eggs will still taste like cadbury's eggs......... for the first time in years, I haven't even bought one.

-------------------------------------------------------------

......there is a tightrope.......one side can be amusing, wickedly amusing, black comedy (love all three)........and being creepy....... and the latter is where this falls for me, and that is not good, whatever the initial intention.

[/quote]

Which is precisely why, idun, I haven't drunk "English Beer", with few exceptions for many years..........

And the one that really makes me tick is the old "Brewed Under License", scam!

As if the chemical muck sold in UK could be anything like the real stuff!

Ah me: a refreshing glass of Bofferding, in Luxembourg for example: and the heady days of a real bottle of chilled German Löwenbräu.

Sigh......

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Which is precisely why, idun, I haven't drunk "English Beer", with few exceptions for many years..........

And the one that really makes me tick is the old "Brewed Under License", scam!

As if the chemical muck sold in UK could be anything like the real stuff!

Ah me: a refreshing glass of Bofferding, in Luxembourg for example: and the heady days of a real bottle of chilled German Löwenbräu.

Sigh......

[/quote]

MUCH better than a "real bottle of chilled German Lowenbrau" is......................chilled Lowenbrau on draught!

There used to be a pub on the Avon and Kennet canal not far from Bradford on Avon where they had it.  Nothing more enjoyable than to walk along that particular stretch of the canal of a summer's evening to end up in the pub with a seriously strong draught Lowenbrau..............lovely memories !

Couldn't  agree more, Mint!

There once was a pub, a reasonable distance from home (Essex), then, 1970s, set in a lovely old village and the pub overlooking a rather nice pond near a large, rambling common.

In which I discovered  the Dutch wonder, Oranjeboom, on draft.

Heaven!

Then, one of the majors started producing it as "Made Under License". Yurghh.

Again, in Holland, when Mrs G and I were staying in a charming small town in Northern Holland called Harksburgen (Our two rotary clubs had twinned), Grolsch was brewed nearby in Enschede; gorgeous.

I also found the Green King Abbot Ale and cooking IPA brewed in Bury St. Edmonds (Suffolk), a wholly different animal from that elsewhere.

And Guinness in Dublin, again, was the real deal: direct from the old St. James Gate brewery to the pubs. Now, as so often, in 1997, it became part of Diageo.

Well, Mint, at least we can dream and remember........

At least, in Northern France, the home of beer,  increasing numbers of brasseries have come into their own and operate micro-breweries alongside their restaurant business.

There is one in St Pol Sur Ternoise which my son and I and a close chum went to for luncheon some years back, on Beaujolais Noveau Day; the wine was dreadful (C'est normale), so we focused on the beer instead. Great food too: and enormous buffet, excellent food and very reasonable, too.