Compressed wood 'logs' - got problems

chessie

We have a modern villa one one level  we have one small wood-burning stove, as well as central heating with timed convector radiators in all rooms.

OH is getting on in years, and is finding all the cutting of logs, and then moving all the cut logs from place to place becoming very tiring for him.   We thought we'd try these compressed blocks of wood (log shaped in segments) as a way to avoid all the hard work.

Huh - wish we hadn't wasted our money.   We're having problems with them.   We have bought the day-burn logs, which are supposed to throw out 5kw when burning.

We have found they don't throw out much heat;  that the stove needs to be 'topped up' at least every hour;  that there is no consistency in how the logs burn - some burn well - and some do not;  even worse some of the green/eco-logs do not burn properly and just seem to smoulder.   When that happens OH has to open the stove to break up the log, which - no matter what we do - then sends a cloud of horrible grey/black smoke into the room - onto the furniture, the curtains, everything.     Before OH opens the stove door the lever at the back of the stove is down so that the flue vent IS fully opened.   We've even had the drop down ash-door at the front of the stove left dropped-down before opening the door - and we still get the clouds of smoke.  We also have a fresh-air vent behind the stove and we've had that open as well so that we really should have enough through draught to help the stove burn these eco-logs.

OH can't settle down for a couple of hours once the stove has been lit - needs to put a log on every hour or so - and it's not helping his arthritic knees bending down all the time.

We are so disappointed with these logs.   Wish we hadn't spent the money.    They don't burn well; they don't throw out much heat;  they don't last long - and when they sit and smoulder they throw off a lot of smoke.

Anyone tried these;  anyone experienced similar problems ?    Any advice for us ?

I did, whisper, to OH that maybe mixing up one of these eco-logs with one or two proper wood logs might do the trick;  funny how my suggestions don't always go down well - that one certainly didn't.    I think he's bitterly disappointed as he was so looking forward to 'never having to cut and lug around those blasted logs anymore' - his words.

We had the chimney swept in the summer, so it can't be that the flue is blocked.   I'm just wondering if - because this is a modern villa - on one level with only a low height chimney flue whether we aren't getting enough upward draught to help these logs burn properly.

Any helpful thoughts, advice, or personal experiences would be much appreciated.   We've spent all this money, OH so desperately didn't want the physical hard work involved with wood cutting - and we're both very, very disappointed with these green eco-friendly - but not people friendly - logs.

Words of wisdom anyone ?

Thank you - Chessie

We have a draughty old house in U.K. and burn these eco compressed logs on our open fire. They burn well for a couple of hours but I agree that although they look good with flames etc they don't provide a lot of heat. They do stop the cold draught whistling down the chimney.

If you poke the logs they do crumble, smoke and smoulder so I definitely wouldn't recommend doing that. Sometimes I'll put a log on next to them and that will eventually burn.

We have not tried any that say they are day-burn.

Problem with all processed biofuel products, including "logs", is the base material they happen to have been made from!

And worse, in many cases, the synthetic "binders" which have been used.

Solution: throw them back to the supplier as "Not fit for purpose":

Then buy some aged good wood, which has come from the types of wood recommended for Pôel de Bois: and ask the supplier to deliver them is specified pre-cut sizes. OK one pays a bit more, however since this removes the labour and inconvenience, a cheap price to pay.

Always ask any supplier two core questions: .i. What woods will you be supplying? and, .ii. How long has it been aged?

If they refuse or waffle then go elsewhere.

Our little commune boasts just 220 residents: 90% of whom are retraite. There are many, elderly widows, too.

And everyone uses wood fires of one type or another! I cannot see too many jumping around the woodpile with a trôncanneuse!

We've been burning these as they can be stored in the garage, they're clean and we've found them to be cheap.

We've used ones from Brazeco which are said the be made from hardwood, cheaper ones from Woodstock (bought from SuperU) and really, really cheap ones in sacks from someone on Leboncoin.

I agree that you need to chuck more on during the evening, but for us it's secondary heating as we've got underfloor central heating as well.

[quote user="chessie"]Huh - wish we hadn't wasted our money.   We're having problems with them.   We have bought the day-burn logs, which are supposed to throw out 5kw when burning.

We are so disappointed with these logs.  

[/quote]

This is our fourth winter using these kind of logs (from Mr Bricolage) and mostly they work very well. We have had some packs which didn't burn as well as the majority but have not had any that just sat and smouldered. And certainly none which produced lots of smoke.

In my view you have been unlucky in buying some logs which are either useless or inappropriate for your woodburner.

It sounds as though you have bought a large amount; can you not discuss your problem with the vendor, perhaps returning them and negotiating a refund on the unused logs as they so obviously do not suit your situation.

Sue