How long before 'Title' deeds arrive?

Hindhaugh

Well we have slow and we have escargot slow... we signed and paid the Notaire for our house in April 2004 but to date we still have not received the final title deeds for the house. The Notaires booklet suggests this can take between 2 and 8 months but soon 10 months will have passed. Anyone else had similar long waits for the official house deeds to arrive?

Well we have slow and we have escargot slow... we signed and paid the Notaire for our house in April 2004 but to date we still have not received the final title deeds for the house. The Notaires booklet suggests this can take between 2 and 8 months but soon 10 months will have passed. Anyone else had similar long waits for the official house deeds to arrive?

You will not receive the title deeds - in the English sense. These will be kept by the notaire. You will eventually receive an "expedition" which is a copy of the acte authentique.

Your escargots are positively speedy.  We finally got our "Acte", plus the bit of leftover money they owed us, in Nov 2004 having signed in Oct 2002.  And, before anyone asks, I did chase it up regularly.

Keep on asking them to get their "Acte" together!

Maggi

Thank's everyone for this, I have Emailed the Notaire but he appears to be a Slowtaire. Was not sure exactly what papers I should have in my possesion but I will continue to chase things up, it's what we all secretly love about France - its just slower....

Hi,

They don't always tell you when your "dossier" is ready. Apparently we were supposed to know by some sort of mental osmosis that ours was there when the Notaire sent us a refund cheque approximately 4 months after we had signed the Acte. We happened to mention the cheque to friends of ours months and months afterwards and they said, "Oh that means your dossier is available". We popped down to the Notaire's and asked the question and within 5 minutes had the documents on our hands!

In my experience hardly anyone in France ever bothers to respond to emails - you are better off going into the offices and asking.

We have not yet received any documentation from the Notaires regarding a chalet purchased in September 2000....    we also were using a UK legal adviser (high profile advertsiser and article writer) with an associated French notaire in Paris. Between the 3 of them (UK, Paris, Abbondance) they just washed their hands of everything. Went back to the local guy last summer, no response so far....

Have been happily in possession with no problems to date though (fingers crossed!)

Another purchase at the same time in Vaucluse produced proper accounts etc a few weeks aftre completion, which was itself about 6 weeks from signing the compromis, so obviously anything can happen!!    

Steve L

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We purhased our house over about 15 months ago and still haven't received any 'title deeds' although we did get a refund of fees some time ago so presumably this means the registration of title is completed. In contacting the Notaire do I ask for a copy of the Acte,dossier or expedition ?? Are there any other docs I should expect to receive.

We completed last December. In September we popped into the Office Notaral and asked when we would receive the statement of accounts and the certified copy of the Acte de Vente with the land registry stamp on it. We were told that they send all out all completed documentation for the year each September. On the 22 Sept all was posted to us plus a welcome cheque for a few hundred euros (without interest).

We went to the office with some concern because we did not hit it off with the notaire as she would not slow down her rapid fire speech, despite being asked a couple of times especially during the signing of the Communaute Universelle.

I thought it may be coincidence that we ask in September and that just happens to be when they send everything out. What the heck if it was, we have everything without some of the unsatisfactory timescales listed above.