As an English speaking French Forum how many members/or proportion actually reside in France

crakpot

Well you had me working out when I left France and it was 7 years ago in a few days time. Quite remarkable how that time has passed. All our income from France though and we are still registered with the CPAM who issue an S1 and french CEAM cards, also our son and very dear friends are in France. We didn't move to France for any other reason that we were young and wanted a bit of an adventure, never imagined it would last 27 years. Is there a problem with prescriptions in the UK, we have never had a problem, if we have special requirements and we just ask and get. I shall post though, if we do. Would we move back, well if the UK leaves the EU, it is a possibility, or to another EU country, not sure really what we'd do, if anything.

I do not understand your topic heading which is a question that cannot be answered individually and the posting which is a statement.

What is it that you are asking or want to know and what is the relevance of medical prescriptions? Are you referring to the UK or France?

[quote user="crakpot"]No big deal just interested, I was reading problems re medication prescriptions as I have not been in the UK for 19 years it was a surprise,( or maybe not, thats why I left) there were problems[/quote]

So you left the UK because of prescription problems or maybe not? [8-)]  I'm definitely not a French resident and have no desire to be one, but by having a holiday home in France, I feel that  we get the best of both worlds. Anybody can find fault in any country, and some people just look for faults in the UK to justify in their minds their decision to relocate to France, especially when the rose tinted goggles start to lose their colour.

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="crakpot"]No big deal just interested, I was reading problems re medication prescriptions as I have not been in the UK for 19 years it was a surprise,( or maybe not, thats why I left) there were problems[/quote]

So you left the UK because of prescription problems or maybe not? [8-)]  I'm definitely not a French resident and have no desire to be one, but by having a holiday home in France, I feel that  we get the best of both worlds. Anybody can find fault in any country, and some people just look for faults in the UK to justify in their minds their decision to relocate to France, especially when the rose tinted goggles start to lose their colour.

[/quote]

I don't think I ever had those, but then I speak and understand  French well enough to know what is going on around me and see the country 'warts and all'.

jonzjob, really what was so wrong?

Some things were a slight hassle when we moved back, but really, nothing was horrible or terrible, if there had been anything to alarm or disturb us or make us feel very uncomfortable, we hadn't sold our french house for the first year, we could have easily moved back into it and then moved on from there. Because there is no way on earth unless I become filthy filthy rich, would I ever live en plein campagne again. I got to the point where I felt deprived of the conveniences of every day life, like good and regular buses, a nearby railway station, a cinema and all. Urban comforts are absolutely wonderful and I have a 'view'.

Even if we had stayed in France we would have found somewhere with urban or city living. And initially I did live in a french city and I am so glad I did.

Et toc! Just like this board was when I first joined.

Ofcourse you have your opinion, but frankly when it comes down to it, if I look at basic things like contentment and satisfaction with life, my life isn't that much different  now, than it was in France.

I must mention some things that I'm not used to being cheap, are delightfully cheap in the UK compared to France, that they are, is lovely ie. ie being able to afford to get people in to do some jobs for us. We did a lot (in fact just about all) of the work on our house in France, but very rarely could we manage to afford to pay anyone to do anything. And that must have been the way it was for so many french people too, as when we got there, there were what we considered unimagineably huge DIY stores, in the part of the UK we'd left, we'd only had local hardware stores, nothing bigger at the time.  So these days, I admit, it is rather nice getting a man in, although the next skilled worker we've had a quote from, is a girl.

I used to get accused of being negative about France, but I thought I was simply being realistic, as there is good as well as  bad in France, and pointing out anything for me, is being realistic. France certainly has it's warts, I don't mind them, I doubt that there is anywhere perfect on the planet. I wouldn't expect to find perfection....... wouldn't it be a bore? BUT if I lived somewhere I considered crap, I would move, because I know that these places exist, in France, in the UK. Best move on if one doesn't like where one is.

Believe me there are places not too far from where I used to live in France that I wouldn't want my car to break down in or run out of fuel. Some even look OK, but I know that they are not OK.

Like I know about places in the UK that are to be avoided at all costs too. But I would never say, France is crap, or the UK is crap, so easy to say and so misleading really.

I'm sure that you can come back at me with all sorts of 'bad' things about the UK, but helas, I would return each comment with similitudes about France, that we would be able to go on for pages. Simply, I understand that there is bad in each country, which does not make 'me' 'anti' either country, it's just I am able to accept that life has it's ups and downs, bit like a marriage really. And as long in my life, the 'goods' outweigh the 'bads', then I'm fine.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]How come that this thread has got toooooo wide for the screen, both on Firefox and Safari? Now I can see the click bit to go onto the second page [:(][:(][:(]

[/quote]

Same here, on my ipad - glad it's not just me.

To the OP, I spend 6 months of each year in France, the other half in SE England, in bits at a time, never in France in summer, but often in winter. I love my life in both countries, I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to do so.

Both places we live in suit me very well, although neither might be everyone's choice. I've known poverty as a child in NE England, and taught for many years on very rough housing estates in SE England. I also see families in very tough situations here in France. Neither place is better or worse, in my opinion.