Nip Tuck and all that stuff

idun

Read today that older people are getting more and more plastic surgery and botox and just generally trying to fight the ageing process..... I think?

I know that many 'creams' that guarantee to keep a youthful complexion can be VERY expensive. And yet, the only people I know who are in their 70's and 80's who look young, do not particularly use them and simply have what I suppose would be considered good genes.

Would I have anything done, maybe, if I was rich, there is one thing I would have done. But I daresay I won't ever get it done and I'll not get a complex about it, ever.

I don't dye my hair which is salt and pepper, and I wish it would go 'white' like so many have in my family. I don't use fancy creams, just as much, well little, moisturiser as I always have.

I suppose that I just do not get who someone can get to their sixties, seventies or eighties and be bothered about how 'they' look, and the ageing process. I suppose I am simply happy in my own skin and never look at friends and wish they would get something 'done'. In fact I wish many would not dye their hair these days and instead for some, simply get a good cut that suits them.

..............Incidentally this is men as well as women who are getting things done to alter their appearance.

I couldn't be bothered with plastic surgery either. I do colour my hair occasionally.

As to creams - my doctor prescribed a cream called ialuset plus to help heal a wound on my leg, which worked well. I looked it up and the main ingredient is used for anti-wrinkle cream. It's not all that expensive and I think you can buy it online, without a prescription.

Sadly for us though we no longer have the benefit of a complete ozone layer to protect our skin from ageing and the more harmful effects of the sun.

The older people queuing up for cosmetic surgery are the Mick Jagger generation, so perhaps look to their teenage idol and want to look as young as he does at 70! Also, compared to previous generations many people have a fair bit of disposable income.

I wouldn't bother, but then I never have done, although that said I've coloured my hair since I was 13 so I don't see why I should stop now. I use a face cream that I like and wear a sunscreen 365 days a year but rarely wear make up.

This came up in conversation with a group of friends, both English and French only a few weeks ago. Only one said that, if she had the money, she would have a lift. Everyone else was horrified. But most of the French ladies are equally horrified that we Brits let our grey hair go out on show.

Me, if money was not an issue, I would pay whatever it took to have my teeth sorted!

I have rarely dyed my hair, my mother not only used to say I was built like a carthorse when I was young....... actually I was not, but that was the sort of woman 'she' was...... AND she'd look at my hair and tut and say I had mousey hair too. And yet, I didn't dye it until my mid twenties and only a few subtle streaks. Then years later, had the ends dabbed, a la francaise......all my hair backcombed until it stuck out and then a paddle was dabbed on the ends with a little colour.

I did that a couple of times, but then stopped.

I have had perms though, and loved the Revlon mild ones in France, which just gave body and volume and not over curly.

Even my french friends say I am fine with my salt and pepper hair, but they have the usual 'orangey' coloured hair so favoured by the older ladies in my old village.

I also wear make up sometimes, although the older I get, less is usually better than more. Although I do love eye make up when I go out.

As I said, there is only one thing I might get done if I was filthy rich and that is a tummy tuck, if I was brave enough. It is the only bit of me that annoys me really, for the rest, well, I can live happily with getting older.

And men getting stuff done. Well I know enough men who have got thin on top and some do all they can to 'cover' up, sometimes with success, sometimes not.

I used to think that one day I would like my nose improved - I have the family nose, well of course everyone does! But at least it 's not as bad as my brothers'. But as life went on, it stopped being an issue.

I used to think around my 30s/40s that a bigger bust might be an idea, never having had much of one apart when breast feeding our sons. That idea also faded away. Both ideas disappeared due to the thought of an operation, never having had one in my life.

My ops in recent years qualify (over-qualify!) me for breast reconstruction, but I really don't want to bother with all that, not a big op that I don't actually need, not with all the problems afterwards, and not at my age.

As for hair, I'm from a line of auburn-haired family members, deep auburn in my father's case (i never saw them as they died before I was born, but my paternal grandparents were apparently auburn too), mid auburn with my elder brother, light auburn with my other brother. My hair was fair, with slight auburn highlights when in sunlight. It's still fairish, especially after pottering around in sunshine (it's quite a bit more blonde now than when we arrived in the Gard about 6 weeks ago, due to lots of lovely sunshine), usually ends up as just fair during the winter. Plus of course, I have various grey bits, especially around the face/ears. I've never dyed it, never will, although there were those giddy months in my teens when there were those wands you could buy to put gold or silver streaks through the hair, which washed out, but lasted quite a few days as hair was only washed once a week in those days, just as well, as my long, thick locks had to be dried by the open fire or by the oven. Did anybody else use those wands?

Second Best Marigold Hotel - I loved the first one, hoping to see the second one while we're back in England over the next 3 weeks.

I too have the family nose, which when I was young, did not like, but when young had no idea that one could something about it anyway. I have grown used to it.

I remember seeing a young woman on tv, she was very attractive, and had what I believe is called a 'parrot' nose. She was desparate to have it look more like most other people's and had the op. She didn't look as attractive without her own nose, and that was maybe because she had lost her spark and was very unhappy with the change, she said she felt like she has 'lost' herself.

And remember Baby from Dirty Dancing, she was lovely, got a nose job and it sort of killed her career didn't it?

I too loved the Best Marigold Hotel and am looking forward to seeing the new one. I keep wondering if many have tried the experience of moving to hotel living in India for their 'old' age?

And boob jobs, never understood them, I was always on the small side and never ever envied my friends with larger ones, especially my friend with huge ones.

Idun:

We are what we are.

What matters, surely is the person, not the external and synthetic appearance?

Remember Barbara Stanwick? She has so many face lifts, by the end she has lost total control of her facial muscles and could make no expressions whatsoever; just looked utterly frozen all the time.

Problem today is the concept of youth, as a target, attribute, benefit, has been oversold by the mass media, as they peddle their completely false image of reality.

Always remember the profound words of George Bernard Shaw: "Youth is wasted upon the young!".

(Whilst some argue it was Oscar Wilde).

I was watching a 'Top of the Pops' type programme from the 70s the other day and we commented that all the women were very slim and flat chested , which is normal when you aren't overweight. If you look at a similar scene now many slim women have perfect 32dd boobs , making them look rather top heavy. Sadly now I think many younger people feel compelled to make their bodies conform to this stereotype of perfect beauty.

When you look at many of the TV personalities that you think have 'aged well', most of them have had some sort of 'work' done. If they have a good plastic surgeon they will just look 'good for their age'.

I always think that looking at ageing Hollywood stars is a great way to put one off having so called anti-ageing surgery.  Most of the American (and some European) examples just end up looking like cloned freaks who can't put an expression on their faces, and don't look like themselves any longer.  Madonna is a great example - age aside, she looks very different from her younger self, though not quite as freaky as the likes of Barry Manilow.  He was on a UK chat show not too long ago and was very scary.  Even with the more restrained versions, I never think they actually look any younger - just less tired and 'good for their age'.

Whenever I've seen any of the make-over programs, I've always thought that the thing that makes the biggest difference is grooming.  A good hairstyle that suits well, a little subtle and enhancing make-up, etc. all make a person look far better than just a nip and tuck.  Christine Lagarde is a great example of this for me - grey hair, no obvious enhancement, but immaculately groomed and looking very well on it.

A little fairy tale............

One day, Snow White and her two close friends, Tom Thumb and Quasimodo met in a charming forest glade.

Snow White said: " Did you know if we went over the next valley, over the next valley and climbed the distant mountain, there is a cave near the top is a cave; and on the wall of the cave. hangs a mirror! And that mirror cannot tell a lie: it tells the truth!"

"So what?" grunted Quasiomodo.

"Well," said Snow White, "I am supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the whole World! And I would really love to learn if this is true!"

"I am apparently, the smallest man the World has ever known!", said Tom Thumb," And really, I would love to know if this is really true!"

"I am, apparently, the ugliest man the World has ever known!", grumped Quasimodo, "And I want to know of this is really true too!"

So early the very next morning, the chums set off, carrying ginger beer, sticky buns and ham sandwiches, for a picnic along the way......

They climbed down in to the valley, climbed the next steep hill, into the next valley and eventually started climbing the distant mountain, stopping half way up for their lovely picnic. Eventually, tired and hot, they reached the cave.

"You first!" squeaked Tom: "Yes!" said Quasimodo, "Ladies first!".

So Snow White entered the cave and after ten minutes returned, a look of utter wonder and peace suffusing her beautiful face.

"It's true! It's true!" she shouted; "I AM the most beautiful woman the World has ever known!"

"Hooray!.

Tom Thumb went next: and after ten minutes he returned: and turned cartwheels, the little bells on his pointed hat and pointy toe boots ringing merrily as he cavorted about! "It's true! it's true!" he squeaked, "I AM the smallest man ever in the World!"

"Your turn, Quasi!" said Tom and Snow White together; "Off you go!"

They two chums waited: and after twenty minutes, Quasimodo came shuffling out of the cave, a look of complete confusion and amazement on his face!

"Whose Robin Cook?" he asked.........

Robin Cook: ladies man...............

I never thought that Robin Cook was ugly. A plain man, but ugly no, in fact I can think of several well known men and women who are 'ugly', but not him, I never understood that.

This is like how I never understand why some actors and actresses are called attractive...... I hear all the adjectives that can be used. Very few have great beauty, and are not bels hommes or belles femmes, just very ordinary.

The way some are extra ordinary is because they are wonderful actors, but that has nothing to do with their 'looks'.

Something that you ladies might be able to answer?

I see a lot of ladies, of a certain age, who have lovely totally natural hair. Why do they dye the roots grey????

I have several ambitions in this life. One of them is to grow old disgracefully and according to SWMBO and several friends, both English and French, I am doing quite well at it. I have never been one to try to keep up with fashion and at times when fashion has caught up with me I change away from it. I had my first grey hair when I was 21 or so and now I have silver grey hair and beard. It's thinning on the crown too, but that is me so?? I've never been either fat or thin.

As far as hair is concerned neither SWMBO or myself has used any kind of shampoo or soap on it for over 24 years now. some of you already know that, but neither of us has anything but normal healthy looking hair. Just rinsed a couple of times a week in warm water and it's clean and healthy with ALL of the natural oils to keep it so.

I don't wear sunglasses and don't ever use sunscreens. I just use my head and don't get burned. Start slowly each year and a couple of years as a child of 11/2 in Malta and a couple of years in Singapore working outside in the sun on aircraft and no troubles. The body needs UV, but in moderation.

Men and plactic rebuilding? I won't mention any French rockers like Had-his-day??[:-))]

Jonzjob, I now regret not using sun screen all my time in France.

I was always white skinned, which when we first got there was flagrant, as all my french friends and neighbours would sit out until they were literally very very dark brown, that, I must add became less and less over the years though.

And I should have used sun screen as I have terrible marks on the sides of my face from driving or being passenger. I have an appointment to see a dermatologist about a couple of them. I know most people get, with age, what is horribly called liver spots, and mine are bad. Even my hands look like a 90 year olds, sun damage,  that obviously I had not avoided as well as I thought I had.

And sun glasses, well, IF I didn't wear them, my eyes would hurt in the bright sun, in winter when skiing and in mid summer.

Sunglasses in the snow are just about essential, but skying is bad for you. Just ask people wot have broke things doing it [:-))]

I can only agree that the sun can be bad for you and especially of you are fair skinned. Fortunately I am not. Good luck with the dermi person lass!

My hands look OK, but feel like 90 year olds. In fact from the neck up, well just above the neck, I am about 16, but the rest is about 90. I think that I was born old?[8-)]

By the way, the expression 'youth is wasted on the young' is attributed to Mark Twain and therefore outdates both George Bernard Wild and Oscar Shaw [8-|] me-thinks..