Is 'Sport' News?

idun

I use the term in a very general sense as there are lots of sports which never, or rarely get a mention. But I am wondering why on every last news broadcast, they deem it fit to drone on about football, matches, players, managers. Sometimes I admit that there is a bit of rugby or cricket mentioned too, but unless there is something 'special' none of the others really get a look in.

As far as I am concerned it isn't news just some sort of hobby, or as I have gathered, obsession in some cases, but news?

And there are plenty of programs, in fact they dare take programs off so that matches can be shown.

So news or not?  I don't think so.

I wholly agree, Idun: it is yet another component of the out-of-control media brainwashing almost everyone, as part of the duopoly of big money and braindead content. The mass media are the servants and sycophants to such as football; the synthetic cult of "Celebrity", elevates talentless and invariably worthless individuals who offer society very little (if anything at all!) to become role models and idols of and for the Great Unwashed.

The very name "Sport", implies sportsmanship: which is nonsense, since mainly, it is big business and nothing else.

Yet TC companies fight tooth and claw to gain rights to events and series: even the once hallowed Olympic Games has become a feeding fest for venal and cynical commercial interests. perhaps the best exemplar being the London Olympics, where spectators were prohibited from taking their own food and drinks!

It is risible to call football businesses "Clubs": yet TV, Radio and so-called "Newspapers" do all the time.

[quote user="CSV"]I suspect money is a factor.

[/quote]

Of course; this is what it is all concerned with.

[quote user="Gluestick"]I wholly agree, Idun: it is yet another component of the out-of-control media brainwashing almost everyone, as part of the duopoly of big money and braindead content. The mass media are the servants and sycophants to such as football; the synthetic cult of "Celebrity", elevates talentless and invariably worthless individuals who offer society very little (if anything at all!) to become role models and idols of and for the Great Unwashed.

The very name "Sport", implies sportsmanship: which is nonsense, since mainly, it is big business and nothing else.

Yet TC companies fight tooth and claw to gain rights to events and series: even the once hallowed Olympic Games has become a feeding fest for venal and cynical commercial interests. perhaps the best exemplar being the London Olympics, where spectators were prohibited from taking their own food and drinks!

It is risible to call football businesses "Clubs": yet TV, Radio and so-called "Newspapers" do all the time.

[quote user="CSV"]I suspect money is a factor.

[/quote]

Of course; this is what it is all concerned with.

[/quote]

At least if we banned football and cricket we could get rid of quite a few immigrants.

I don't mind full programs about sports, but I doubt that the Gold Cup with get more than a couple of seconds, maybe a minute on sports news.

Fishing, I have actually watched a few fishing programs in the past. in fact often there is not that much fishing,but wonderful photography of far away places and a lot of info about that particular place and it's customs.  I have quite enjoyed the ones I have watched.

A dreadful example of this has been the endless coverage on French TV of the unfortunate deaths of three French sportspeople in a helicopter accident in Argentina while filming some sort of TV programme.

All the elements of sport, 'téléréalité' (which is anything but) and the self obession of the media were present.

Yes it was a news item, but on the first day it happened it took 28 minutes of a 40 minute  bulletin, and the day after another 20 or so.