Foreigner tax, is it practised in your area?

Certain artisans in this area are known to practice a 'foreigner tax' whereby the devis/bills for work on foreigners' properties et al. are loaded by up to 15%.(I have had this from a local artisan who does not do it).

Have you any evidence of this in your area, particularly those of you who have had major works done?

One of our friends, who is an artisan, loads the devis when he doesn't really want the business. So, for example if the job is a really sh*tty one or the client is a pain in the a*rse he adds 25% to the price. He doesn't discriminate between foreign and non foreign. He often gets the work anyway.

oh yes.

If I see an advert on leboncoin which has no price listed and call up I will be told one price. If my brother in law (French) calls it, he will very often be told a lower price.

My work these days is property maintenance for some very high value properties, mostly owned by non-French. Every devis I have had for any kind of big work I cant do myself has been outrageous - significantly higher than the job should normally cost. Sometimes several orders of magnitude higher. Top prize goes to the chap who submitted a devis for cobblestone paving of a driveway. 350k - A third of a fecking million! We want cobbles not gold bricks, mate.

No. If OH didn't want the work he used to inflate the devis a bit just to put the client off but he never inflated prices artificially for actual clients.Now, when I have to get a professional in, I use locals I know from all our years in the trades here and they know I know if they are taking the proverbal urine.

But this has been going on for years...there are higher prices for buying houses, for work done on them and for looking after them.

I bought my places at 'French' prices because I can parley the lingo, and I get estimates by asking a French friend to act for me...