EU Membership??

Chassis, why do you keep muddying the waters with scare tactics. The only immigrants that the EU forces us to take are other EU citizens looking for work. The illegal immigrants which are the real cause of the problem will not be affected by our membership or not. Of course there is a risk that if we leave then France and other EU countries may be less vigilant in stopping this traffic.

If as many who wants us to leave are correct and the UK becomes a new paradise on earth then even more immigrants will want to come and given our track record on control then there is yet another argument in favour of staying in.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chessie, I worry for your blood pressure.

I think my point, which others appear to have grasped, was crystal clear, and has already been clearly paraphrased.

If we leave the EU it will do nothing to change the situation regarding illegal immigration. That's why it's called illegal.

Meanwhile, there are a number of non-partisan studies which clearly show that EU migrants, as a whole, are net contributors to the UK economy, and that as a group they're better educated than the majority of their UK counterparts.

I worry about your preoccupation with sewage as well. I doubt anyone feels the need to travel thousands of miles with the sole objective of using a lavatory. However, in order to be less flippant, I would point out that a lack of investment in, and maintenance of the infrastructure is something which is the fault of successive governments and the utility companies responsible, and that it's being addressed slowly -probably too slowly - but it's unlikely that in our lifetimes we will need to dig holes in the garden.

I almost look forward to the implementation of the latest jackass proposal from the government in which migrants not earning £35K will be shown the door after 3 years. That's because it'll just about cripple the NHS, to name but one sector (and one of the UK's largest employers, at that). Personally, I'm much more worried about what will happen when nurses cannot be recruited from outside the UK to make up the shortfall than I am about whether I'll be able to spend a penny between now and the next election.

What's UKIP's policy on sewage treatment, BTW? Anyone?

Why do you refer to the people at Calais as 'people' Ebaynut? As in your sentence 'So these ‘people’ are quite happy to enter the UK illegally, then if they do enter how can they work legally?'

Don't you think that they are really just people; human beings, with the same hopes and fears as everyone else?

If you'd been born in a war torn, poverty stricken part of the world, wouldn't you try to get a better life?

We are all so very, very fortunate to be born in Western Europe.

It appears the migration problem is now up for discussion among the EU leaders today

If they need to find money to provide for them on arrival in the EU...and no doubt they will need lots .

Then perhaps cutting the funding altogether given for farmers to grow tobacco in some newer member states and cut the spend on the dept advising people to stop smoking might be a good start to find the money ....But my guess is the farmers will not lose a cent the funcionaries will lot lose one job.and they will still be talking and doing nothing about migration issues this time next year while Monaco gets neighbors in a shanty town .!

So, you would advise both stopping CAP subsidies to tobacco farmers AND the closure of departments trying to encourage people to stop smoking? I would have thought that the second might cause problems in achieving the first! If people are encouraged to stop smoking, surely the tobacco demand will fall? Weird logic.

Incidentally, direct tobacco subsidies have been phased out by the EU. Who blocked the vote to continue decoupling and try to divert more CAP funds back to tobacco? Who is the EU's biggest tobacco producer? And the second? Oh yeah, Italy and Greece. Where are all the migrants coming ashore? Let me think...l

It doesn't need an EU agreement to divert funds from tobacco. Under decoupling, Greece and Italy could divert funds on their own. Unfortunately, not to dealing with the migrant problem though. Just to more politically palatable crops.

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but WHEN the UK leaves the EU, will it not be easier than harder to deport the illegals. At present when they ramp up on the shores of the med, the story is ‘we cant send them back, as we don't know where they came from’. But when we are out of the EU, we can send them ALL back to France, as we will not be a part of the EU, and we will know where they have came from, as we will then no longer be in the club, we just dump them back at Calais.

Last night on the news showed the situation the lorry drivers are facing quite well, one driver was staying real close to the lorry in front, so the doors could not be opened enough for the illegals to get in, they then throw stones at him and punched his lorry, damaging it in the process. And where were the ‘big pigs’ all this time, doing nought as usual in these circumstances. I am surprised they did not nick the lorry driver who had had headlight smashed for breaking the

code de la route.

Hopefully RH, lots of there illegals will be ‘a heading for Reading’.

BTW, respect to the illegal who fell from the plane coming into land at Heathrow the other day, all the from South Africa he held on, such a shame he fell ( pun intended) at the last hurdle.

Pommier wrote,

Why do you refer to the people at Calais as 'people' Ebaynut? As in your sentence 'So these ‘people’ are quite happy to enter the UK illegally, then if they do enter how can they work legally?'

Don't you think that they are really just people; human beings, with the same hopes and fears as everyone else?

If you'd been born in a war torn, poverty stricken part of the world, wouldn't you try to get a better life?

We are all so very, very fortunate to be born in Western Europe.

I use the word ‘people’ as the word I would like to use is automatically deleted by this forums software.

I don't blame them, as I have said many times, I blame our weak gutless leaders. And no, I don't think for one minute they want the same things as most British people want.

We are indeed very fortunate to be born in Western Europe, but that is because of the work our forefathers put in to make it the place it is today. I have no wish to share it or budge up to make room for a race whose forefathers have done F all to contribute to the modern world and the only thing they bring with them is more work for our police.

I love the assumption by the self righteous of the Home Counties who think that anybody who disagree with them are right wing facists, or as one member on here thinks, people of low intelligence. Whatever anybody on here thinks about the EU referendum, the majority of UK residents will decide the outcome when they have considered the options, and will do what they think is right for the UK.

I imagine the French boys in blue sitting back and watching the antics of migrants in Calais along with the striking ferry workers and doing next to nothing to deal with the situation , as shown on the TV news. Is doing more to convince the UK voter to to put his cross down for EU exit tnan any political party could .

We are indeed very fortunate to be born in Western Europe, but that is because of the work our forefathers put in to make it the place it is today. I have no wish to share it or budge up to make room for a race whose forefathers have done F all to contribute to the modern world and the only thing they bring with them is more work for our police.

Does it for one second occur to you that some of the work our forefathers put in was helping keep their forefathers oppressed ?

Really !

[quote user="Frederick"]I imagine the French boys in blue sitting back and watching the antics of migrants in Calais along with the striking ferry workers and doing next to nothing to deal with the situation , as shown on the TV news. Is doing more to convince the UK voter to to put his cross down for EU exit tnan any political party could .[/quote]

Why would the French police be more vigilant in stopping migrants if the UK leaves the EU? I suspect they would be even more uninterested in those circumstances so anyone voting for a brexit on those grounds would surely be very disappointed.

'....that is because of the work our forefathers put in to make it the place it is today'

Mmmm - I was thinking the same as Russethouse; words like slavery and oppression come to mind (thankfully not by my ancestors, who seem to have mostly been agricultural labourers who made no difference to anything beyond their immediate surrounds)

Pommier wrote.

Mmmm - I was thinking the same as Russethouse; words like slavery and oppression come to mind (thankfully not by my ancestors, who seem to have mostly been agricultural labourers who made no difference to anything beyond their

immediate surrounds)

Didn't take long did it? It wasn't me sir, it was the big boys did it and run away.

It obviously has passed you by Pommier that one of the biggest group involved in the slave trade were indeed

Africans. Still glad to hear from a reliable source that you and

yours have clean hands.

Let's hope that Nick P is right and that people vote with their heads, and let's also hope that the outcome, whatever it may be, is accepted with good grace by those who didn't vote with the majority. Unlike the Scottish referendum or the last election.

Personally, I'm a lot more fed up with bad losers and having to live with the run-up to the next referendum/election/vote for whatever than I am with anything else.

How about a few facts and figures about asylum seekers?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24636868

Oh, and by the way Nick P, it wasn't me who brought it round to what their ancestors had done. I wouldn't take credit or blame for what previous generations did.

[quote user="Frederick"]I imagine the French boys in blue sitting back and watching the antics of migrants in Calais along with the striking ferry workers and doing next to nothing to deal with the situation , as shown on the TV news. Is doing more to convince the UK voter to to put his cross down for EU exit tnan any political party could .[/quote]

Why should the French authorities do anything other than ensure the safety of the general public? And why would it be any different if we were out of the EU. I completely agree with you that many people confuse the two issues and think that these two things are somehow related.

[quote user="Hoddy"]To be absolutely fair - the British government has given the French authorities £12m to help pay for the policing at Calais.[/quote]

Not well spent here was it .....If this had been on the UK side the trains would only have been stopped as long as it took to drag the strikers off and charge them for cutting the fence and tresspass .... Anybody arrested in France ? How long was the tunnel closed ? Oh of course ...French police dont touch strikers they can do what they like it appears !

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jun/23/travel-chaos-as-channel-tunnel-shuts-and-french-ferry-services-are-cancelled

Yep, just like the Paris police have dealt with the taxi drivers, it's an internal matter. Sounds like a euphemism for doing sweet FA.. ! I half expect the Mayor of Paris to blame the UK, and the self righteous to accuse the Uber drivers of being bigots and fascists. Makes you wonder if the French police have difficulties in writing, considering their reluctance to process illegals and strikers.

Hoddy wrote :- To be absolutely fair - the British government has given the French authorities £12m to help pay for the policing at Calais.''

According to the Calais Mayor, the UK has not spent a cent in helping Calais handle the problem.

I guess £12 million doesn't count.