Pompiers doing the rounds - bit early this year?

mogs

Ours arrived a week or so back and we now have both the Pompier and the posties calenders as normal. I hadn't really noticed that the pompiers were any earlier than normal though?

Our facteur is one of the most helpful blokes you could meet, so a bit of a Christmas box from us is no problem at all. And as the money for the pompiers goes into their benevolent fund, whatever they call it here, we have no problems with that either. What ever they get paid it ain't enough in my opinion.

The pompiers came about 10 days ago, really early this year. The younger of the two rang our bell for what seemed like ages. I'm always happy to contribute; one of our neighbours was the ex-fire chief here, his daughter works in their office here, they were like the cavalry when they arrived to take me to hospital not long before Christmas last year, and I think they do a damn fine job anyway.

My elderly neighbour opposite didn't hear them and wants them to come back, as she always contributes; I gave her my calendar and just kept the diary, so she cheered up slightly, but is worried that at 94 she might not be here next year......... I told her she'd better be here as who could I chat to like we do. Another elderly neighbour told them off for making too much noise and refused to contribute this year for that reason. As she said to me very seriously next day, 'I thought there must be a fire or something, the bell rang for so long!'

We had them round on Friday night - lots of torchlight and fluorescent coats visible while we were tucking into some particularly buttery prawns, so we could only shake "hands" using the little-finger technique.

So yes, this year's calendar is a bit earlier than usual here, too.

We had our pompier call last week, it is the earliest they have ever called.

andyh4 mentioned that he gave a donation for the La Poste calendar, can somebody tell me if this is expected please. We just thought that it is a free calendar that La Poste gives to its customers. We always give our nice post lady a tip at Christmas, usually about the first or second week of December, so if she was expecting a tip when she handed over our calendar she was probably thinking tight English **!!%%% or something like that. Really didn't know we were expected to give a donation for it. Oops.

I always gave a lot more than it felt I should have done, to do the 'right' thing. A good friend with a small budget gave them 100ff when I was there and before I understood......... and I had to ask when they had gone, because 'not' asking would have left me in the dark about so much.

The pompiers, well, could any group be more important in a small community???? Volunteers, they will fight one's fire, but frankly, their principle role where I used to live was as first responders to medical emergencies. There was absolutely no point in calling an ambulance, would have taken far too long to get there, so it was the Sapeur Pompiers who came, day or night, having their own jobs to go too. Often with the local GP in tow and whisk say a heart attack or stroke victim off to hospital.