pound euro exchnage rate

Not really a drop, just a slight reversion of a very large upswing, at any time in the last 7 years I could only have dreamed of getting €1.33 to the £

Looking at a 10p drop in one month from a 7 year all time high is like the speculation on global warming based on 50 to 100 years of data of a planet that is billions of years old that is heading steadily and undeniably towards the next ice age.

Luckily I am pretty much immune to exchange rates now, I ahve more money coming in in each country than I can spend in either or both of them so for the very first time in a decade there is no more need for money transfers and a Crystal ball.

I think the markets had marked in an increase in UK interest rates, and when that did not happen, and additionally it was suggested that it won't happen for several more months yet, they have reacted. But as with all of these things it is not just one thing.

The drop against the dollar was perfectly predictable when the pound interest rates remained steady and the US Fed increased theirs. That of course is simplistic, because you have to look at all the background things that told Carney to keep things steady and told the US that a rate increase was needed.

Now add in GO talking down the economy with how difficult things are going to be this year (and for once I think he is right) and you can see how some will favour other currencies over the good old GBP. I think GO's agenda might be specifically to make this happen and so make British goods cheaper to a world market. The usual negatives against this strategy of world food prices and international oil prices are really stacked in favour of the UK right now and the pound can lose value, without the cost of living going through the roof.

Yes, Andy, that makes sense. Thanks.

Norman, did you come out of your barrel to make that comment? I am surprised you put your begging bowl down long enough to read a newspaper, though. But then, you were ever a fan of the Telegraph. Thanks for the link by the way which I had not read.

However, I do keep an eye on the exchange rate as I like to know roughly how much pension I am likely to get in any month so I know how much I can afford to eat. Even the Guardian has that, you know.

I think the most effect will be left until the result of the BREXIT referendum in the summer (?) is known, or "anticipated" by those in power (the Bankers and Forex gurus)

Now what will David and George put their money on ?

Not all of it of course that would be hazardous. Poor dears.[Www]

Who gives a flying fig? As I'm a UK resident and changed up enough money earlier when the pound was valued at 1.43. to fill up the oil tanks, fill up the wood shed,  put enough in the French bank account to pay all of this years French  taxes and bills on my French holiday home, I couldn't give a monkeys. It's just the money men doing what they always do, manipulating the rates. when they go up they earn, when they go down they earn. Of course if you live in a barrel in a deprived area  in the south and depend on a pension then I understand your worry. Shame that the oracle from Quillan is still not around to give us the benefit of his wisdom about finances. Also It's good for me when the pound falls as the value of my French house increases should I wish to sell. [:D]

[quote user="NickP"]Who gives a flying fig? As I'm a UK resident and changed up enough money earlier when the pound was valued at 1.43. to fill up the oil tanks, fill up the wood shed,  put enough in the French bank account to pay all of this years French  taxes and bills on my French holiday home, I couldn't give a monkeys. It's just the money men doing what they always do, manipulating the rates. when they go up they earn, when they go down they earn. Of course if you live in a barrel in a deprived area  in the south and depend on a pension then I understand your worry. Shame that the oracle from Quillan is still not around to give us the benefit of his wisdom about finances. Also It's good for me when the pound falls as the value of my French house increases should I wish to sell. [:D]

[/quote]

Its nice to be reassured Brits with plenty of dosh, two or more homes do not give a fig for others less well off I am glad I left your country 20 years back

Who said that when I worked hard for 55 years to look after my family that I was supposed to give a fig for others. As you know nothing about me or my circumstances;  apart from what I offer on a forum, maybe you should try being a bit less grumpy and judgmental, and did you leave my country? I doubt it, as where I come from we don't have aude men, you left your country ! That was your decision not mine. My comments were about the rates changing nothing to do with me not giving a fig for those less well off. [:P]

As you said "who" rather than "I don't give a fig" and" I couldn't give a monkeys' to me suggests the contra

Yep Gloucester born Gloucester bred strong in the arm and thick in the head but legged it due to the odd British idea of superiority

Why did you have a knock at those who live in the South I have enjoyed the Correze and Pays Basque and now the Aude what have you tried

grumyaudeman, sorry, I know it is late at night now, and maybe I have misread your post, but REALLY! The british idea of superiority?????

What on earth is that about?????? And strikes me as unadulterated nonsense!

You seem to think that moving is some sort of pi55ing contest, it isn't you know.

I'd already been in France for 15 years when you left the UK...... so strangely I know France, because I was there for a LOT longer than those 15 years and I know a lot of french people and some are VERY good friends.

However, you want a superior attitude and I don't reckon that the french can be beaten. The body language alone does it, never mind what they have to say. OK they rale about LBF a lot, that is when you really know them (which I do), but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, they are fier, meme TRES FIER to be french and of things french.

And 'I' am not knocking that, not at all,. That is how it always was and is for me, and that over the many years, it is, what it is. OK, depending on who, it can grate, but often, well usually, it has rather tickled me and I am sat here smiling, with fond thoughts.

I don't know Gloucester. And I don't know the Aude either, apart from having a friend called Aude. I'm from NE England and am back there and lived in SE France for most of my adult life.

Just keep reading the Daily Mail and see life outre-manche like it isn't! I'm sure you'll find all the nonsense in it, very reassuring![Www]

[quote user="idun"]but REALLY! The british idea of superiority?????

[/quote]Until I moved back to the UK from Sweden with Mrs Rabbie I would have agreed with you but we both noticed that it was almost impossible to hear a British person describe something in Britain without using the phrase "Best in the world". Now in some cases that may be true but in many it is not and it certainly give the impression of superiority and dare I say it arrogance.

This attitude may be more common in the southern part of the country but I suspect it is spread over the whole of it.

[quote user="NickP"] I would suggest you read what others write and mean, not what you think they say or mean; especially as you seem read and reply late at night.[B][B][/quote]

I read what you write but can you tell me what you mean , with the beers

" especially as you seem read and reply late at night"

Its not even English grammar

be honest