Neighbours Wiring & Home Insurance

cs

Hi,

In a conversation I recently had with the previous owner of our house they happened to mention that our next door neighbour who is english and who uses their home for holidays only, has totally rewired the house himself to the english standard inserting 3 pin sockets etc.  He has also installed in the loft a cold water tank - heaven knows why.

The question is, we are one end of a row of three, my neighbour being the middle house.  Should something dire happen ie a fire due to the wiring and our house was effected would we be covered by their insurance (presuming they have some) as I guess our insurer would be claiming from theirs but then I'm sure their insurer would not pay up if it was down to what I presume is illegal wiring of the property.

Thanks in advance.

Other than perhaps for acts of god and terrorism your insurance would pay out for damage/loss to your property caused by others.

His insurers may try to excuse themselves from paying his damages but that of a 3rd party? - Never.

Why worry about whether your company could reclaim their expenses or what sort of wiring he chooses to have in his home?

Life is too short, in any case he may not have insurance!

Yes, I know for sure that it is rewired to the English standard as the people we purchased our house from are English who moved into the nearby town, we are great friends with them and they know our/their neighbours very well. 

Incidentally, they also bring over their firewood from England, plants, gravel, fencing etc from England and a wooden gate which has the plaque still on it of the English manufacturer !!  Until recently they were also using our letterbox.  We are told that in France you must legally have your own letterbox and I think this may be correct as another couple that moved into our village had a coolbox left on their doorstep by the local Maire with a note to say that they were to use it as a letterbox and return it when they had purchased one!

I took fencing back to England! Everyone who sees it wants to know where to buy some and are dissapointed to find out it's France and are even more dismayed when I tell them the price.

Firewood, that sounds like taking coals to Newcastle (the old Newcastle) I suppose now it is "taking beer to Newcastle"!

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Bringing gravel over is pretty strange, don't

you think, given the amount of it to be had for pennies at French

builders' merchants?

[/quote]

It is very easy to forget, I find, the extent that to which some people

living in or having a home in France are unable to actually speak

French. To buy gravel from a builders' merchants in France one would

have to talk to someone, probably in French. That said, gravel is one

of the more unlikely things that I have heard of people importing.

But surely even the most incapable French speaker can walk into a builders merchants with a dictionary and point ?

What is going to happen to the house when they try and sell it with all that UK everything. They have probably made the house worth very little but I bet they will be moaning like mad when the find the real value and nobody will buy it !!

Ian