Sir Terry Wogan - RIP

minnie

Much coverage today on the BBC news, but in all of this they seem to have ignored the death of Frank Finlay, a very good actor.  I have never forgotten his evil Iago opposite Olivier.  Maybe it helped that it was my "A" level play. 

"Who steals my purse, steals trash, 'tis something, nothing.

But he who filches from my my good name,

Robs me of that which not enriches him,

And makes me poor indeed."

Perfect!

Wogan's Breakfast Show made driving to work worth while. I used to crease myself laughing at some of the antics. As he himself said, radio requires the listener to think a little in order to picture what is going on, each with their own idea; while TV does the thinking for you.

He thought he was better suited to radio as he could just be himself and even pause from time to time. You can't switch off on TV as the camera is staring at you constantly, watching every move and expecting unbroken entertainment.

It's also nice that a famous person has died without leaving a murky past for the media to delve into with their muck rakes, though no doubt some will try.

77 years of doing what he loved, being almost universally loved and having a fairly swift end. It doesn't sound so sad when put like that.

I agree with you completely Norm.  In fact I only found out about the loss of them last night as I've been away and out of touch for a few days.

I did catch a short interview with Gabby Roslin last night on the news who gave a little insight to Sir T's character.

She said that he would rarely follow a script or rehearse before a show but would say 'Come on Gabby, let's have some fun. After all, it's not rocket science is it?'

I like that.

Thank you Norman and Pierre, yes, a very hidden talent - did he not also play Casanova once, or is my memory at fault?

I saw the BBC tribute on the One Show last night to Sir T - I am old enough to remember his first breakfast radio show.  The most significant comment he made (though he is not the only one to say this - it is also true of many a stage or TV actor) is that you speak to just one person ... and that gives the sincerity you need.

Both significant and excellent in their own way, but with different talents it's like comparing chalk and cheese.

I liked the bit at the end when he was talking to Gay Byrne and said how lucky he was to have a wonderful wife, three great children and to be able to have done a job he loved...lucky is the person who appreciates their own good fortune......and no doubt he worked hard for his success even if he made it look remarkably easy..

It is refreshing to read many tributes to a man who seems not to have been involved in anything remotely shady, who was well regarded by all his colleagues, who was popular with his audience, who led efforts to raise millions for charity for decades and who loved and respected his wife, children and grandchildren.

So different from a lot of the murky stuff in the media about well known people these days.

I shall miss his wonderful sense of humour which started my working day with many a laugh for many a year.