Rebranding UK state pension

But, Fittersmate, it has been called a benefit for years now.  It stuck in my craw too and I have brought this matter up on the forum, in passing, whilst talking about other things.

Of course, as someone (Chancer, I think) has pointed out, "benefit" as a word is neutral and just, in this context, means something that is awarded to you.

It's always been in the powers of the ruling government to increase it or not though they wouldn't actually dare to reduce it.

As for means testing, you could say that anything is possible!

No me!

Like Brexit it has no interest to me at all, from the earliest age I can remember, probably in my 20's I never counted on getting a state pension, if I do then it will be a bonus, if not, well you cant lose something you never had and never thought that you would have.

edit

I have now looked at the petition and signed it, as it is good sense that the pension is no longer called a benefit. And yet your post seemed to indicate that this was something new and different.

You want sneaky, the french are experts!

original post deleted

At my age, I have lots of retired friends and they really do not know that their state pension is not only called a benefit but really is one.

A few weeks ago after some 'headline' in a newspaper about the bill for benefits a few were commenting that there were too many scroungers blah blah blah. When I said that it was really 'them' and most of the budget was for state pensions and they were on benefits, I don't think that they believed me really. How could it be a benefit, it was a hard earned entitlement! ........ and I was talking nonsense, cannot say I never talk nonsense, but in this case I was spot on[Www]

Yes just done it. Link does not take you to exact page so I just searched for pension within its own page and it came up , and then confirmed with the email it sent me. A very interesting page with soooooo many petitions on the go.