Register to vote in the EU referendum

Now that the date for the EU referendum in the UK has been announced, don't forget to register to vote and have your say.

Expats who left the UK less than 15 years ago and were registered previously are eligible to vote in the referendum. You will find information on how here: http://www.completefrance.com/living-in-france/news/uk_expats_should_register_to_vote_in_the_eu_referendum_1_4427774

Those of us who have lived abroad for over 15 years cannot vote, even if we still pay our taxes in the UK and may be greatly affected by the outcome. On the other hand over 80% of UK papers are owned by five extremist right wing media

billionaires: Rupert Murdoch, (Sun/Times), Barclay Brothers (Telegraph),

Richard Desmond (Express) and Lord Rothermere (Daily Mail).

Murdoch

is Australian living in New York, Rothermere lives in France, the

Barclay Brothers in the tax havens of Monaco and Guernsey. All of them

use tax haven entities to avoid UK taxes.

Yet they can use their wealth to influence the vote.

[quote user="idun"]Didn't my clickable link work?

[/quote]

Yes, yes, all your clickable links work!

I was only wanting the Digital Editor to be aware that if they posed a link, they should know their jobs well enough to make it clickable[;-)]

I had a grumpy moment, that's all...................

My apologies for the link not being clickable and thanks to those who pointed out and corrected my mistake. Now that it is, I hope it is useful to some of you.

We are planning some articles about the referendum and the possible 'Brexit' so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts/concerns about the issue.

If by 'Fingers' you mean me, then my name is Emma and I'm a she. I hope that answers your question!

My wife and I registered to vote in France a few years ago, mainly to be sure of having a say in the selection of our mayor. I know we can vote locally here (France) but not for national issues; does this exclude us from having a vote in the EU Referendum? I can't find an answer on the websites mentioned above.

[quote user="Digital Editor"]My apologies for the link not being clickable and thanks to those who pointed out and corrected my mistake. Now that it is, I hope it is useful to some of you.

We are planning some articles about the referendum and the possible 'Brexit' so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts/concerns about the issue.

If by 'Fingers' you mean me, then my name is Emma and I'm a she. I hope that answers your question![/quote]

Good to have a name to go with the title!

Nice, spirited and good-natured response so hats off to you.

Yes, link is very useful and it would be great to have articles/discussions/thoughts on the Brexit issue.

I am sure you realise that a lot of the name-calling, finger-pointing ([:D]) etc are entirely done in a playful, benign spirit and TBH it all makes for a lively and interesting forum.

Things have been so quiet as to be moribund lately so it's lovely to hear some new voices and see some new topics.

Sid:  Being able to vote in France for local elections does not stop you being registered in the UK for national elections. The government website re registering to vote specifically says that anyone registering can vote in the referendum.  This assumes that you were registered somewhere in the UK not more than 15 years ago of course!

For the government site: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/...data/.../ITR-O-E.pdf

Don't know why this is in italics now... and can't get out of it. 

I have no idea how to make clickable links so perhaps some kind person would do it if necessary.  Sorry.

Sid, you can vote in local elections in France and in the EU elections for the EMP's who represent your area in France.

And as long as you were registered to vote in the UK before you left AND have not been in France for more than 15 years, you can vote in this election. You need to get in touch with the people who do the electoral register in your old town in the UK.

Which also means that you can vote in UK general elections if you are eligible to vote in this one.

You really did not last year? .....Even after all the posts NormanH has written about losing his right to vote in the UK as he has been in France tooooo long.

For the first 20 years we lived in France, we voted in UK elections  and then our right ran out too, and then they changed the rules anyway.