Bought € today , it can only go worse !

Anna

Perhaps my logic is flawed, but I think perhaps now is a good time to buy some € before it goes worse. It will I think go worse before it gets any better.

10 mins ago we bought with Torfx ( used them for years) £2000 worth bought us 2,520€

It will be in our French account at the latest tomorrow morning but likely late this afternoon.

[quote user="Anna"]Perhaps my logic is flawed, but I think perhaps now is a good time to buy some € before it goes worse. It will I think go worse before it gets any better.

10 mins ago we bought with Torfx ( used them for years) £2000 worth bought us 2,520€

It will be in our French account at the latest tomorrow morning but likely late this afternoon.[/quote]

Worrying about exchange rates will only cause stress, it goes up , it goes down. The UK Government like it low as it improves export prices, British residents with French property like it low as it means the price of their property in Sterling increases. British immigrants in France want it high to help boost their UK pensions. Your thoughts are probably correct but, really life is too short to worry. One good thing now is that we no longer have to read doom and gloom from the financial wizard from the south, who only broadcast the down sides of the exchange rate, never said a Dickie bird when it went up.[:D][:D]

I think your right. According to the financial papers today some say it will continue to go down till after the referendum and others say it goes up and down anyway. Well it has gone down a lot since last week by quite a bit but this morning it has made a little recovery. We have been here before and in 2008/9 where sterling got almost to parity with the Euro. It is like doing the lottery or betting on a horse. If you transfer money regularly, like for a pension, then you must have learnt by now to take the highs with the lows. The problem at the moment, and continuing to the referendum, is that know body really knows what will happen which means it is a mess.

In the grand scheme of things and given what it has been during the last 11 years when it has been of concern to me I would say the £ is still pretty high against the Euro, yes it has been much higher, when I and many others bought but it has also been much lower for much longer.

Thankfully it is no longer of any concern to me and I will never again be transferring between the two currencies, when I cash in my chips the £s and €s will all be transferred into yet another currency or maybe $s for stability until I need them in the new currency, at that date the relative movements will mean that I will do better on my £ assets or my € assets but one will counteract the other unless they both fall relative to other currencies.

In fact what currency fromanywhere in the world would you predict to be the most stable over the next 10 years compared to all the others or even increase but as long as its stable over that period?

Cathar Tours, frankly it always suited me at 10ff to the £. Which is approx 1.51.

When it was the FF, I have seen the rate as high as 1.77, thought I had, just checked the Bank of England statistics.

These rates have always been 'fluid', and I shall not get my knickers in a knot about them, IF we ever have a diminished income, I shall make my spending suit my purse, and we could also move back to France or Ireland or Belgium!

If I had a potfull in the UK I would probably move some now before it goes any lower but sadly I can only move the cash when the pension is paid in every four weeks.  No nestegg available to play the market with.  Of course the rich play the game both ways and get money without breaking a sweat.

But, Ardvark, you are not factoring in the slowness and costs of moving money from French bank accounts[:P]

By the time you took all those things into account, it's not worth "breaking a sweat" (in your own words) for what slim pickings that will be left[:D]