Djhihadi Djhon

I know that one is supposed to keep ones identity secret on the t'internet but the only way to ask this question is to come out!

Why do the French mis-spell my christian name nearly every time?

95% of them will write Jhon and many even write Djhon, what is that all about?

And to compound this, with no word of a lie, as I was typing this my phone beeped in my Pocket, a texto from the current romantic interest, a dear Jhon message [:(] I was just about to write that even she keeps spelling my name Jhon and I have given up correcting her.

Is it an Arabic thing? or perhaps that I pronounce my name as I hear people speak it?

It is easy you know, you say comme 'Johnny Walker' sans l'ny.

Everyone as far as I know, knows Johnny Walker.......... and  they also know 'Johnny' Hallyday.................... even Johnny Depp.

Frankly, tell them you are Johnny, then when they are used to saying that, say you prefer John[Www]

I fear, Chancer, that the only way they can pronounce "John" as you do requires a "D" to be placed in front of it!

Idun, while Johnny Depp might be helpful to them, the whisky Johnnie is just that - JohnnIE. Even more confusing!!

Angela

I don't think that the spelling of the whisky matters, it is the sound that counts.

Isn't it as simple as saying 'je m'appel Johnny, mais je prefer simplement John' ?

As my son pointed out, he has several french friends called Jonathon and they get called 'Jon' in a way the french would say it.

Names being mangled in other languages is nothing new. At least you are not called ' Peter ' [;-)]