Sonic Boom???

mogs

I was today going about my business as usual when suddenly there was an explosion and our house literally shook. All the cats and our dog were disturbed, as was I, I first thought it was a bomb going off in our nearest local town. It set the pool alarm off.

I went out into the garden and saw my neighbour, he had the same thing happen to him and said it was a Euro fighter going through the sound barrier. He apparently saw the jet but neither of us heard it until the explosion.

We seem to be on the flight path for the Euro jets when they train so often have them going right over the house at times. This is the first time I've ever had an experience like this. It was pretty scary.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Hedgehog breaking wind?

Otherwise, yes they do break the barrier occasionally, but it is rare as it causes damage. The last time I remember it in the Vendee was when they were in a rush to intercept a Russian aircraft that was poking its nose where it shouldn't, and, yes, it was a shock.

That was reported extensively in the Press at the time.

If it happened above you, there must have been a reason; check the local press to see if it is discussed, or ask at the mairie, maybe.

We get a sonic boom at least once a month here on the border of Normandie/Mayenne. Last week two jets that usually come over once a week were really low, lower than usual and the sound of them was deafening. The cats, horse and dogs were quite disturbed by the noise. So was I and I have a hearing problem!

Mrs KG

Yes I think you're right Pierre, neither myself or my neighbour actually heard the jet, usually you here them coming but not this morning.

He saw the jet and like me only heard the explosion until after the jet had flown over.

Just now I took our dog for a brief walk along the lane and heard a jet then saw it fly right over me. I usually wave if I see them, they must think I'm mad

We see the boys from Orange (the French Air Force base about 30kms from here) daily. Sometimes quite high, sometimes quite low (say 2k' or so) . Military air space, so the commercials from Nimes & Montpellier are already at 20k' +.

Harmless really, though I wouldn't want them around all the time.

Wooly was right it is reported in the local paper. It was over Villeneuve-sur-Lot which is further away than I expected it to be. It must have been heard over a huge area.

http://www.sudouest.fr/2016/09/07/explosion-dans-le-lot-et-garonne-avez-vous-entendu-un-grand-boum-2491979-3900.php