The Truth Will Out!

Gluestick

All is not going well at the EU Summit in Bratislavia, it seems.

Telegraph

Economist

This week they have all popped up out of the woodwork to rant and rage about the dastardly Brits and Brexit. Herman Rumpy Pumpy, et al.

Has anyone else considered how the summit in Bratislavia is horribly unconstitutional, since the UK was not invited and the secret squirrel club wishes to scheme and plot behind closed doors?

The UK is until and unless an Article 50 Notice (Lisbon Treaty) is served, a full member of the EU, The European Council and the supposed parliament.

As we know, there are fault lines appearing in the EU apparat as never before.

What fun!

[:P]

I kind of remember thinking at the time that I heard it on the wireless that if it's an EU summit, and the UK, although an EU member, was either not invited or willfully excluded, that any decisions that were made at that summit are by definition null and void.

I am surprised that no other country raised that as point of order.

oops!

See here:

From Der Spiegel:

The bottom line being;

The coalition of German Chancellor Angela Merkel could be facing the

brink of disaster as her chief ally and coalition partner Horst Seehofer

may choose not to campaign with her next year during the federal

election.

Mr. Seehofer, who is the Prime Minister of Bavaria and the leader of

the Christian Social Union (CSU), has demanded that the government cap

the number of yearly migrants at 200,000 and claims he will not budge on

the issue reports Der Spiegel.

Seehofer told the magazine that he would only support the 2017

election campaign of Ms. Merkel if the migrant policy was changed,

saying that a change of direction was needed to win back the hearts and

minds of supporters. Many voters have been abandoning the two parties

for the Alternative for Germany (AfD), as recent election data shows.

Rats deserting the sinking ship, methinks.

Surely the 27 countries who currently want to remain in the EU are entitled to meet to discuss their future strategy without the UK being present. After all if Brexit means Brexit as we have been assured it does then the EU has to plan for a future without the UK. I would not expect EU representatives to be present at any UK meeting to decide our negotiating strategy.

I suspect that because any EU country or the EU parliament can veto any deal made between the UK and EU that the final deal will not have any major concessions and will be very close to WTO terms with no special access to the "free market" or financial passporting. We will have full control on immigration but at the cost of having to get visa-waivers. What will happen with the Eire-NI border remains to be seen

I'm afraid I cannot agree, Rabbie.

Thus far, all that has happened is a UK referendum; it has no legal power.

Anyone, person or nation state which upon a concept or intention, acts Ultra Vires: i.e. outside the power. For example, I might agree to buy your car; if I then sell it, based on the presumption I was in process of buying it, but lacked good clear title, then my act would be criminal. Since I lack the power to contract with a third party.

The EU honchos, particularly Merkel and Hollande, have been engaged in "Tammany Hall" tactics for quite some time, with a number of others in "smoke filled rooms".

The Bratislava conference is rather different; since it was formally called for every EU member state; except Britain.

[quote] I suspect that because any EU country or the EU parliament can veto any deal made between the UK and EU [/quote]

Not correct; the whole voting system changed after the Lisbon Treaty.

See here:

Which hasn't prevented the EU Commissars continuing to make decisions without resorting to the supposed parliament.

It doesn't seem entirely fair that we (Britain) cannot start negotiating trade deals with anyone else - AIUI - until we've actually legally left the EU,  and yet they can conduct talks right now about their future without us.

TBH I think it's going to be a hard Brexit,   and maybe that's a good thing because it will save a lot of argument and fruitless negotiation.   I think protracted negotiations are just going to produce a lot of enmity.....

Seems the power mad EU honchos want their cake and eat it too......

They will sue Britain if they try and negotiate Free Trade Deals outside the EU (which acknowledges and confirms Britain's extant legal EU status) but then at the same time, do not invite us to their behind closed doors party.

When at present, Britain enjoys every legal right to be there.

See Here:

Martin, I am not sure that anyone has anything other than prejudices when it comes to the EU nd our membership of it!

Gluey, you seem to have a lot of time to post at present; does this mean that the work has dried up, you are bored or that you have escaped to a corner of the garden where you can communicate whilst enjoying the grape or the grain or both?

PdeC very grey today, in sympathy I suspect with the UK's difficulties.

I see from this location all the container ships bringing produce 'in'! Husband spends time in Southampton and he sees all the cars et al being brought 'in'.

Some comments by these  EU big wigs, too often makes out that we are of no consequence, an insignificant market to be brushed off.

I have been wondering how my, and of course other's lives would be affected if we simply sent these ships, (or are they boats?), back. And I do understand that we also export.

I really doubt it would last long.

I would dearly love to know the truth about how many real people in EU countries are happy with it, and I doubt that we will ever know.

There are certain areas which are likely to be harder hit, mainly those where UK exports are in competition within the EU with other producers. The French for example would love to hit British agricultural products though they may not yet have realised the consequences for their own exports.

Similarly, the Germans would like to get their hands on euro banking, currently based in London.

The members of the EU, if not perhaps the Brusselsocraps, have realised that there are huge problems with free movement of labour and immigration and we can reckon a certain tension between the two parties as Merkel, Hollande and others struggle to keep their own jobs whilst continuting to support a policy which has encouraged populism of the worst kind.

There will be change because failure to do so will split the EU but this change will come too late for the UK. Whether others follow us out remains to be seen. If Le Pen wins in France, she will try for a referendum though I doubt she would win it.

Interesting as an aside, I have discreetly been trying to gauge feeling in this area viv a vis the FN and the number of people saying simply that the others have failed so why not give the FN a chance is very high. Hmmm.

Nothing to do with Brexit but many French farmers are having to face up to the real world for the first time in 50 years:

http://indices.usinenouvelle.com/produits-agricoles/les-betteraviers-inquiets-de-la-fin-annoncee-des-quotas-sucriers-europeens.5831

However this is exactly what will happen in many areas of post Brexit UK where there are currently EU subsidies and quotas in operation.

I think the above will be a win-win for my region and a loss for the sugar cane farmers in the former French and British colonies, it will also mean high fructose corn syrup creeping in to more and more manufactured foodstuffs, we have huge modern factories producing sugar and alcohol from betteraves and others producing  isoglucose (HFCS) from amidon, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top in a free market.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Gluey, you seem to have a lot of time to post at present; does this mean that the work has dried up, you are bored or that you have escaped to a corner of the garden where you can communicate whilst enjoying the grape or the grain or both?

[/quote]

Busy as ever, really Woolly. Since part of my professional work is economic and financial analysis, I have to keep up to speed...

Anyway, someone has too inject some life in this place!

[:D]

[quote]PdeC very grey today, in sympathy I suspect with the UK's difficulties.[/quote]

Don't worry: Mrs G and I are back to la belle sometime this weekend and it is sure to brighten up; sun always shines upon  the righteous, you know...

[:P]