Who and What Are We?

JandM

While reading the political discussions on this forum I often wonder about the age, circumstances, social and economic profiles etc of the posters and, with regard to Brexit, of which way we hang, as it were.

Without any real evidence at all, I have always assumed that we are generally retired and, while not wealthy, fit somewhere into one of the ABC1 socio-economic brackets. As to age, we're quite ancient aren't we?

On Brexit, I'm surprised that so many posters are so very hostile to the EU. Or is it just that Brexiteers are more vocal?

Anyone prepared to give their vital statistics?

I'll start:

Male and partnered

Age 54

Still working

Middle class (but no money)

Live in London and Dept 47

Voted Remain

General politics - Lib dem supporter

Yes, it certainly seems to be the case that there is a lot of hostility to the EU amongst us on the forum.  And yes, I am mildly surprised by that though there IS a lot about the EU not to like although there is also much to like.

What surprises me even more is the utter dislike (sometimes just short of hatred) of France.  Now THAT I do NOT understand as, presumably, we come to live here through choice and because we actually enjoy living here.

I don't think I'm prepared to give as much information as you have done.  But I think your picture of people on the forum is fairly accurate.

For me then:

female, married

rather a lot older than you

retired

difficult to talk about money because I think we have plenty enough for our needs (though I know that many would think we live on the breadline[:D])

now live in a lovely little village in the Dordogne

voted Remain but dithered until about a fortnight prior to the referendum

Labour supporter all my life but didn't vote in the last 2 general elections because I couldn't support any party

I agree with you that it would be interesting to talk about these things but I guess many would shy away from joining in.

Male divorced and not looking

Soon to be 70

Retired

Bohemian impoverished

Lived (and worked) in France (34 and 09) for 20 years

Denied any vote anywhere except in local and European elections, and those both will go with Brexit.

Neo-Gramscian

Neo-Gramscianism perceives state sovereignty as subjugated to a global

economic system marked by the emergence of a transnational financial

system and a corresponding transnational system of production. The major

players in these systems, multinational corporations and international

financial institutions such as the World Bank and IMF, have evolved into a "transnational historic bloc" that exercises global hegemony through the tacit consent of

the governed population gained through coercive techniques of

intellectual and cultural persuasion, largely absent violence.

Female, one-person household

Hit 60 last month (so where's me pension???)

Still working, micro entreprise

Profession libérale, relatively poor on paper but used to living a frugal lifestyle and not materialistic (Bohemian if you like) so I don't feel deprived in any way

Lived in Normandy for nearly 10 years

Didn't vote. Could have, but naively thought it was all about what would be best for people in the UK, and I'm out of touch with the problems people are facing in the UK so I thought it would be disingenuous of me to vote. If I'd realised that nobody else was the least bit bothered about being disingenuous, I would have voted Remain for purely selfish reasons.

General politics - leftie tendencies but I wouldn't call myself a leftie as such

Male and married

retired for 3 years having previously worked in the UK, Germany and France (but for the German company and still on a German contract).

Dislike pigeon-holing people by class, was brought up poor and have bettered myself - though some might disagree.

Live in 07

Like Norman I am denied the right to vote in the UK and have limited and temporary voting rights in France.

Married

Usually politically to the left.

Retired

Have wonderful french friends.

Nearly 30 years in France from being young to old!

And as we always said would move back to the UK when retired, we did and to somewhere with services, and stuff that is easily accessible. Which seems the logical direction to move for retraites, whom, for all they speak french, are english.

Financially we are OK, compared to friends we are poor.

I didn't even want the UK to join the EEC, and I was only just 22 when I voted then. Maastrich seemed an odd way to go forward...... but, I think my true loathing came into play when too many poor countries that were already in the EU were allowed into the €. I remember clearly how many discussions on french news about France perhaps not being eligible, and yet in comparison to other countries, it was MORE than eligible.  And then the eastern block were allowed in willy nilly, and I shall never understand that for the rest of my days.

My distrust of the EEC and subsequent EU feels eternal now, it has gone on so long, and only the odd thing I can think of that is good. The old EEC feels like it is something that wasn't so bad these days.

And a swedish friend often mentions how Sweden now uses EU rules, which are not as stringent as swedish rules and there has been an increase in pollution. That is what they say about it, along with their friends and family.

We're retired, both over 70, and have been in France since 2001.

I haven't contributed much to the Brexit threads because it raises my blood pressure too much, once I get going. Mainly because the decision to hold a referendum was so ill-judged by the idiot of a PM at the time. Now escaped from the chaos he left behind.

I certainly don't hate France, or French people. We hope to be able to stay ad infinitum. And I hope the EU continues, I fully support it, in spite of its faults.

Whatever happens, we'll try to make the best of it, and in the meantime,  just get on with life.

Almost berluddy 70, fork it.

In relationship and loving it!!

Disenfranchised gentle conservative.

Lived all over the place, but hated working in UK university for a few years.

Been in France for about 20 years though commuted to Belgium for a few years.

Love France, like the people but they are oppressed by the political and administrative burden they suffer.

Would have voted REMAIN as I like the EU, for all its faults, if I could have.

Like it here, don't wanna leave.

Not sure I know Britain any more.

Deeply shocked by the brexit vote and the associated racism.

50+, living full time in France, working part time. Live with my partner..we both had professional jobs in our previous lives that meant we worked closely with fellow Europeans. OH worked for an EU organisation.

Now we do various things..currently doing up houses for rental.

Not rich, not poor.

At various points in my life I have voted for every political party except the Conservatives and UKIP. Now I am a tactical voter.

[quote user="lindal1000"]

At various points in my life I have voted for every political party except the Conservatives and UKIP. Now I am a tactical voter.[/quote]

mmm; let's see...

Whigs; Liberals; Tories; Ulster Unionists; ScotNats; Lib Dems; Monster Raving Loony Party; Referendum Party; Labour Party; Respect; Democratic Unionist Party; Sinn Fein; Plaid Cymru; Social Democrat and Labour Party; Traditional Unionist Voice; BNP; Green Party; People Before Profit Alliance.

To name but a few...

here:

Quite staggering, actually, to realise just how many there are and were.

Cor! lindal; you must have been damned busy over the years!

[:D]

Just jossing.

[blink]

Knocking on the door of 70.

Retired after spending a life working in Africa and the Middle East. Interspersed with serving HMG as a an RAF Officer.

Could be better off but comfortable enough I suppose.

Tory voter by nature in the past but now I lean towards UKIP.

Voted Brexit

Love living in France, don't hate it or the French people, however I can see that there are downsides, I DO NOT have rose tints,

Wrong side of 70, but right side of 75.

Widowed, but in cosy relationship with much-loved forum member ? ?

Retired from writing (for Fr and Eng mags), freelance sub-editing etc.

Comfortable enough to have still maintained French holiday home, though strenuous physical work necessary for upkeep of same is beginning to lose its appeal.

Not v political; Tory by nature, with occasional veerings towards Lib-Dem.

Voted Remain.

Have studied and worked in France, so I remember the hoops one had to jump through to establish residence etc back in the 1960s.

Have had holiday home for nearly 50 years, so lots of experience of gritting teeth in dealing with French services (definitely no rose tints for my spex!).

Very interesting thread.

Similar to Loiseau, 70+ but under 75. We've had a holiday apartment in France for 9 years, usually spend half the year there, the rest at the family home in England, so reasonably comfortably off; voted Remain.

Not overly political; all Ban the Bomb in my youth, Then supported the Liberals, followed by Libdem, then Tory; our MP is excellent.

I've been married for 49 years come Christmas: we got engaged in Paris, where I was studying for 3 months.

[quote user="Loiseau"]Wrong side of 70, but right side of 75.

Widowed, but in cosy relationship with much-loved forum member ? ?

Retired from writing (for Fr and Eng mags), freelance sub-editing etc.

Comfortable enough to have still maintained French holiday home, though strenuous physical work necessary for upkeep of same is beginning to lose its appeal.

Not v political; Tory by nature, with occasional veerings towards Lib-Dem.

Voted Remain.

Have studied and worked in France, so I remember the hoops one had to jump through to establish residence etc back in the 1960s.

Have had holiday home for nearly 50 years, so lots of experience of gritting teeth in dealing with French services (definitely no rose tints for my spex!).[/quote]

Rules me with a rod of iron she do, hidden in a velvet glove.?? If she bares those gritted teeth it is best to run, fast and hide! Real squashed banana, me!?

Retired (and yes, well, female) in France 8 years.

Politics - don't tell anyone how I vote - ever - but voted remain (as did OH, first and only time we discussed it, so not to cancel each other out) not just for selfish reasons, but cannot change things from outside.

Married, sufficient to live on, family deaths helping out, and helps not having mortgage, but used to living frugally before we got to France.

Attitude to France, used to love it, living here I can now see the problems.

Attitude to England - have many contacts, keep in touch, go back at least once a year, sometimes more, some friends who surprisingly voted leave, but we agree to differ, family all remainers ...

Maybe not quite so typical as other on here.

Aged 43

Met girlfriend (now wife) at Uni in the UK during the middle 1990's.

Been living in France pretty much ever since.

We are the European dream in terms of 'Erasmus' students. YEAH RIGHT !!!!!! EU Idiots.

Top end of income bracket (according to the French admin) but nothing really to show for it because we are so heavily taxed in France !!!!!. Beware you expat dreamers moving to France !!!!!.

No nothing about UK politics nor care. Would have however voted out of the EU if lived in the UK !!!!!

Know everything about France (just ask away) and love French politics.

Vive la France !

[:D][:D][:D]ROFL albf, I know a lot about France, a lot, but I shall never know 'everything'  about France..........

Come to think about it, kif-kif for most other things in life too.

Just one eg but there are plenty of others : -

I remember years ago believing that they did not have PAYE in France, told everyone and anyone that they didn't, but ofcourse they did and do, even before these new laws go through. I know because we ended up paying it. 

Your everything has made me smile. But maybe you are like me and are capable of finding just about everything if you need to.[:D]

Married

Retired to France 20 years ago, not worked since

spent the time enjoying our two children, fully

educated here.

Below nation average working wage

Rich in standard of life

Not allowed to vote,

Stay - only because I have lost nearly a third of my RN Pension as the £ has weakend over the years

LOL Idun you take me far to seriously.

I was thinking more in terms of 'life' and 'people' and how France 'works'. I have no idea about 'life' and 'people' and how it works in the UK, but in France I got it sussed. Living both in France 'profonde' and 'Paris' at the same time gives you a unique perspective and understanding......I think ???

Like I said, I know everything. Ask away LOL.