This is err, GOOD??

Trouble is ET, the UK press is the main source of information for most British expats living in France about the country they live in. That is why they get things so hopelessly wrong. I guess UK telly is the second biggest source. LOL.

Don't get me started about French life magazines.

Disclaimer, Complete France is miles better than the FE one.

Of course you are correct, ALBF; every time I dare to travel into the local town, I struggle to avoid the piles of steaming vomit, step over the drunken bodies littering the pavement and the endless fights and disturbances.

No point in venturing out for a nice day in the country any more: so many blazing cars the air is un-breathable. Even the cows wear oxygen tanks and respirators.

Much worse now in England are the religious gangs; Justin “Muscles” Welby leads the Church of England National Front, not noted for their kindness! It is not well known, Muscles Welby is actually Darth Vader...

The Hindu Hooligans are another pretty dire bunch: running around with machetes chopping off people’s heads. Seems even the Jesuit Brotherhood carry UZIs, RPGs, and even ground-to-ground smart missiles under their black robes. Nasty bunch.

Not a good idea to venture anywhere near Golders Green, these days: the Hassidic Action Group are slaughtering hundreds every day.

The worst are the Buddhist Butchers Gang: these are kept busy as contract hit men for all the other gangs. These days the Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t simply try and convert you and thrust a copy of The Watchtower in your hands; oh no! If you refuse to convert then it is a 9 m.m. Glock to the temple and goodnight, Mate!

Last year I wanted to visit the National Gallery and as I strolled along to end of the Strand to my horror I saw two huge juggernauts ploughing through the crowds of Chinese, Japanese and Korean tourists in Trafalgar Square! As the insane drivers carried on they screamed their war cry “A.R.S.E.-Nal!”. Later that day the Anglican National Front, a splinter group from Muscles Welby’s C of E National Front claimed responsibility.

I shall never ever forget the dreadful sounds of Cameras, DigiCams, Tablets and Mobile phones being crushed and flattened by the huge tyres...

And the damned PM and Home Secretary tell us it is nothing to worry about; just people having fun and playing silly pranks.

The Guardian maintains it is what they term, Recreational Slaughter and nothing serious at all.

"as I strolled along to end of the Strand to my horror I saw two huge juggernauts ploughing through the crowds of Chinese, Japanese and Korean tourists in Trafalgar Square!"

No, I'm sorry but that's not a subject that anyone who isn't seriously sick should even try to joke about.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]"as I strolled along to end of the Strand to my horror I saw two huge juggernauts ploughing through the crowds of Chinese, Japanese and Korean tourists in Trafalgar Square!"

No, I'm sorry but that's not a subject that anyone who isn't seriously sick should even try to joke about.[/quote]

Clearly, ET, you fail to grasp subtle nuances of Irony, Sardonic synthesis et al.

For your elucidation:

[quote]

What is irony?

Irony is a figure of speech in which there is a contradiction

of expectation between what is said what is really meant. It is

characterized by an incongruity, a contrast, between reality and

appearance. There are three types of irony: verbal, dramatic and

situational.

Types of irony

1. Verbal irony:

It is a contrast between what is said and what is meant
  2. Dramatic irony:

It occurs when the audience or the reader knows more than the

character about events. In other words, what the character thinks is

true is incongruous with what the audience knows.
  3. Situational irony:

This refers to the contrast between the actual result of a situation and what was intended or expected to happen.[/quote]

A "joke"? No, not at all.

A sad reflection on contemporaneous life?

Indeed.

Here is a useful guide to figures of speech.

Fascinating how ALBF conflates disparate issues.

I wrote, earlier, if you actually read it:

"........... is purely,

simply and only a sign of (i) Rapidly growing social unrest: (ii)

Rapidly failing public law and order; and, (iii) The weak, failed and

incompetent French government as the professional political class are

bereft of what they must do."

Did you actually read the cogent analysis, published on a FRENCH academic "Clearing House" web-based resource for analysis, research and conclusion?

I doubt it.

Written by a French academic researcher and difficult nay impossible to take issue with the boy of his evidence and conclusions.

Here it is once more: read it!

Now of one extrapolates the conclusions as at 2004, to date, then it becomes quite obvious what were and are the growing causal drivers.

Glooey, ypur "causal driver" did make me larf; Would that be a French lady driver in a large Peugeot space wagon racing to school to pick up little Adelide at 1600hrs, or a Brit lady driver rushing to get her kids, Agamemnon and Clitoris from right outside the gates, in curlews and jimjams, fag in one hand, telephone to ear, in a large Ranchrover?

[quote user="Gluestick"]Fascinating how ALBF conflates disparate issues.

Did you actually read the cogent analysis, published on a FRENCH academic "Clearing House" web-based resource for analysis, research and conclusion?

Now of one extrapolates the conclusions as at 2004, to date, then it becomes quite obvious what were and are the growing causal drivers.

[/quote]

No point me reading any of the links, I have enough trouble reading the above let alone understanding what the heck its supposed to mean, if that is how a lay person communicates then I will leave the academics to speak amongst themselves.

- Innit!

Gluey.... shut up x2.

I don't really need a page of explanation on different forms of humour, thank you. I used to be a journalist in a previous lifetime and I still have my NUJ card. It's obvious what you were trying to do but I think it was insensitive and in bad taste. That is my own opinion, and I don't feel the need to fill the page with links and dictonary definitions of "insensitive" and "bad taste" so I don't expect you to take any notice of it. But it remains my opinion.

LOL - I remember bringing this subject up years and years ago when the forum had a different name. Not one member had ever heard of the New Year car burning and I was accused of inventing stories to disrupt the forum. Some people even suggested that I didn't live in France and that I was posting anti-French stuff from the UK!

[quote user="bonemachine"]LOL - I remember bringing this subject up years and years ago when the forum had a different name. Not one member had ever heard of the New Year car burning and I was accused of inventing stories to disrupt the forum. Some people even suggested that I didn't live in France and that I was posting anti-French stuff from the UK!

[/quote]

I don't know when this board started, it's name changed a little, not a lot, and I have posted since 2000. Initially under Teamdup and for years as Idun. I have had a few little breaks, but IF I was posting whilst you mentioned this, I most certainly would have agreed with you, because it has happened as long as I have lived in France. Although, there  were some posters who could never imagine anything of the sort EVER happening in France.

So cars burning for St Sylvestre, yup, personally never known otherwise. So many bad things, some do get a bit more newsworthy these days, eg  some poor beur being shot for just looking at a sports car or just the wrong way at something considered beyond their means. In the past it was inconsequential to the authorities..... and they wonder why there is so much discontent by the cite dwellers!

I realise that there are some on here who still do not believe in what I call the other France, but as far as I see, I never lived in other than a France of rather harsh reality.

So if it's just a bit of fun, I wonder if  a scrap metal business would go down well here? Probably not, by the sound of it.

As for the UK, when we lived in an impoverished NE town there cars left in the back lanes were often found burnt out. Happened twice in our back lane . Ours was at the front, got stolen twice.

Two years ago our son moved into a brand new studio in a very nice part of Tolouse, parts of the buildings were under still under construction. One night in the under ground car park for the building a car caught fire and engulfed 6 others. He was woken by the police pounding on his and the other residents doors. No sprinklers and no central fire alarm. Estimated at the begining was 14 days to put right the damage! He moved out!

Here in Nantes just before Christmas, 17 cars caught fire in an open car park next to a building.

hi idun - perhaps you were on holiday and missed it! I posted on here actively for years, but I can't remember what my user name was back then, which is why I re-joined a couple years ago with a new identity. I stopped posting all those years ago because of the silly, naive attitude of a lot of the members, but it's improved enormously these last few years.

I can't find a members list anywhere, otherwise I could try and find my old user name.

Oh well, it doesn't matter.

this reply might be a bit of a mess, as I can't figure out how to use the quote thingy on here

Yes, there has been a big change in this board and how France is viewed. Over the years, it has been very noticeable to me.

And yet, for me there are still two France's. Because the lives my friends and my son live in my old area, still feel very removed from many posts on here. In fact from all I am told, things are so much harder these days than they ever were, especially finding somewhere to live.