Bournemouth !!!!! You are having laugh...its a dump

Well I haven't been there for half a century or so, but it was quite genteel in those days. That used to be our posh summer holidays. When we weren't posh we went to Llandudno. My mum liked Bournemouth and thought Llandud was a bit plebby, my dad liked Llandud and thought Bournemouth was a bit toffee-nosed. Us kids weren't bothered either way, they both had sand and sea and dodgems and ice-creams.

I worked in Bournemouth for a couple of years in th 80s and I loved it.  There were sandwiche bars, cocktail bars and little cafes and pubs everywhere.

Our office was on the Wallisdown Rd and there was a Rolls-Royce concession next door so it felt very exclusive and privileged

Then there was an older colleaque who always stayed at the White Hermitage for her holidays for years and years and thought it was wonderful!!!  I'd have liked to have had a close look at this White hermitage but I felt it would be too old fashioned staid for me  I only wanted to go to all the hip places in town then,

When I was young, I always wanted to retire to the south coast and be off on the ferry with foreign things to be see and experience when one got off the ferry. 

Before Bournemouth was forcible gobbled up by Dorset it was distinctly upmarket; in the winter the Bournemough constabulary used to take any dosser they found out beyond the borough(?) boundary and dump them there. This caused a bit of a stink when one died of hypothermia.

It has steadily gone downhill since the social security scroungers started moving into the area, living in Boscombe and Southbourne in the old houses that were originally genteel, then divided subdivided to make holiday lets.

Lower Parkstone, Lilliput and Sandbanks are where the money is nowadays.

Used to be some decent shops in the centre, I seem to recommend like Beales.

But it did have the grubbiest Macdonalds I have ever seen.

But all that was a long time ago.

Bournemouth used to be in Hampshire.

Dorset is definitely one of the nicest places in the Uk and I really don't understand why they lumbered Dorset with Bournemouth. Poole is even worse.

To see such a place in the top 10 priciest property markets in the world is beyond surreal.

Hong Kong, Dubia, New York..Bournemouth. It is like something out of only fools and horses.

Given half of London now owns a property in Dorset they got that wrong.

They obviously didn't predict some muppet in the BBC to come up with a programme called 'escape to the country'.

I hate that programme. They destroyed places like Wiltshire and Dorset.

I looked up my old local pub in Wiltshire on the internet. Looking at the pictures of the interior now you would think it is in Chelsea. It is so sad.

I have never been to Bournemouth.

But dump, yes, I see that word being used willy nilly by brits and yet, my description of my french village for many years was that it was a typical tatty french village, rough looking......... did that make it a dump.

The schools, both the catholic and state were literally dumps. I was never schooled ever in such awful buildings, so poorly equipped on so many levels that I wouldn't know where to start telling you now. From no soap or towels in the toilets (I took them in) and that lack being considered OK, to the prehaut being considered the beesknees and to be celebrated..... The teaching, well not for this thread[:@]

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.2239741,5.4396895,3a,75y,357.89h,100.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdnM9c0I-BXyVIPBLDSkYGg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Look at Grand Rue in Albanc, this is a sunny day, but frankly, I can not remember driving along such a dismal place, awful place, ever, looks like a black gothic film set.........and yet I am told that it is a nice enough place to live........ so describe.......... DUMP, properly please!!!

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]

I looked up my old local pub in Wiltshire on the internet. Looking at the pictures of the interior now you would think it is in Chelsea. It is so sad.[/quote]

Just as well they weren't reliant on your custom then. Similarly to you, they have moved on.

Get over it.

I know (knew) the area quite well having moved there from Medway, Kent in '87 because it was such a "dump".

Loved my little harbourside new build at Baiter, Poole and got into sailing proper from there.  Avoided Bournemouth generally apart from enjoying the foreign students sunbathing topless near the pier in summer.  A young friend told me the rot was setting in because too many scouse drug dealers were making it their winter digs. 

The UK wouldn't be my first choice unless I had enough money to live somewhere "upmarket" and safe, if that sort of place still exists.  I am not so sure since noticing that average house prices being quoted at £350k plus.

Cajal said "get over it".

I got over it when they replaced the fruit machine with a worn out 'chabby chic.. Chesterfield sofa. Seriously...muppets....it is so has been. Really get a life.

The dart board replaced by a wooden thing that holds the daily newspapers...well 'The times' and 'Country Life Magazine' that you feel necessary to read (because you are country folk now) whilst trying to impossibly digest some arty-farty overpriced beer.

The pool table replaced by dining tables to sit a load of very very stupid people that have to order stupidly expensive food that they can't pronounce.

I'm over it. LOL

3 very good reasons not to move back to the UK.

Well, I remember the spit and sawdust days and pubs that would not serve women or only a half. Thank Bobo we have moved on.

Many of them were sparse drinking dens or frigid lounges serving lousy beer and a few crisps.

I like a decent pub which serves proper food, allows children within reason and which is warm and cosy.

The big chains have usually not got it as far as I am concerned and have done a lot of damage by standardizing. And by changing the old names.

"I got over it when they replaced the fruit machine with a worn out 'chabby chic.. Chesterfield sofa. Seriously...muppets....it is so has been. Really get a life.

The dart board replaced by a wooden thing that holds the daily newspapers...well 'The times' and 'Country Life Magazine' that you feel necessary to read (because you are country folk now) whilst trying to impossibly digest some arty-farty overpriced beer.

The pool table replaced by dining tables to sit a load of very very stupid people that have to order stupidly expensive food that they can't pronounce. "

For once I agree with you, ALBF, but you can't blame the landlords. If you're a landlord, your job and your livelihood is to give the punters what they want. Obviously, that is what today's punters want.

Even in France, there are fewer and fewer old-style PMUs. Just like there are fewer and fewer seedy old geezers in berets settled at the counter drinking spirits at 10 in the morning. Nowhere's what it was.

"Nowhere's what it was"...........you have absolutely nailed it, ET.

There is a tendency for people above a certain age to be nostalgic about things and they like to hark back to some mythical "Golden Age" that in fact never existed.

I'm as guilty of this anyone else BTW!

"Monaco tops the list for the ninth consecutive year, with $1 million for only 17 square meters, said the latest report.

Hong Kong comes in at second, with $1 million to buy 20 square meters. In Shanghai and Beijing, 46 square meters and 58 square meters are all you can get for that same amount."

From the little I know of B/mouth you could now buy most of it for a million beer tokens?

Edit : - Non of it matters any because we are all doomed, doomed I say [:-))]

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-38760792

Bournemouth is no more of a dump than any other coastal town that has spread to become a sprawling conurbation and suffers the malaise of most other British towns with declining high street/town centre shopping.

As to whether it has gone downhill, that very much depends on your income/social bracket, I think.  The new money tends to go to the blingy Sandbanks end of things (actually Poole, not Bournemouth), older money stays over Christchurch/Highcliffe way and Bournemouth is somewhere in between with a large mixture that includes an enormous number of foreign language students.  Generally, the older and richer people whinge about the inconvenience of all the foreigners and less well off as much as they ever would.  The fact that without them, they would have no one to take their order for their skinny decaf lates when they are out and about seems to escape them.

The press always make a big thing out of the price of property at Sandbanks and, much to the chagrin of Poole Council, often refer to it as being in Sandbanks.  In any case, these separations will become less and less relevant over time - it has just been agreed that Christchurch, Bournemouth and Poole councils will merge and, I daresay, the geographical distinctions will largely go the same way.  You would currently be pressed to tell when you cross from one borough to another.