Best places to live

ALBF

"Any questions about Montpellier, I can answer. Fire away.

I am annoying aren't I ?

"

You intend to be annoying. In fact many of your posts have something of the nature of 'trolling', there to stir people up, 'annoy' them in your word, but not to help or inform.

Could you link to anything you have posted that might be considered in  any way useful to or by any one other than you?

Not the trolling word.... please.....!!!!

Idun gets me. Lol

And sorry, yes I know Montpellier and that whole area very well. I think that is more your problem. Is it not ?Yes we have a flat there.

Some of us have been around a bit in France. Ask me something about the UK and yes I might try to blag it.

Regards to helping, I have said all through this thread that the Loire cities IMHO are best for expats.

Frankly I find ALBF,  more than 'a little bit' french..... and actually I do get him, as my french friends taquine me all the time. And that is how I look at it.

Although ALBF, NH has a good point......... you must, by your curious nature, be very knowledgeable about so much that is french and for all I am not suggesting that you answer what I would consider daft questions, ie how much will utility bills cost me etc, ..... you could perhaps help with some other stuff.

And my answer to that one particular question that I think is 'daft' is:-I do not know how well your home will be insulated, or how warm you like to live, you do. Look up the rates on the web sites and try an it work it out for yourself.

@ Idun.

Regarding your point 'you could perhaps help with some other stuff'

If there is one thing that I have learnt on French forums over the last 4 years is that the British know everything about France. Even those that have never lived in France know everything. In that respect, how can I help ? If I tell them something they don't want to hear they just tell you that you are talking rubbish or a troll. There is an arrogance about the British and France. You have to admit.

I used to try to help but I was getting tired of being shot down all the time.

Now I just have 'alittlebitoffun'. But I have never been rude to people.

I have lost count of the number of times people have been rude to me on the other hand. There are a number of occasions even in this thread if you look closely.

Having lived in a village for over 20 years in France, we have also had the opportunity to do lots of touring either in a camper or motorbike.

We are in the process of swapping country life for the city again having bought in the agglomƩration of Nantes. Small enough to not be intimidating, big enough to have culture. Shops within walking distance, trams, trains, buses and cycle lanes all nearby. Not too cold in winter and for me, not too hot/windy in summer. So far its all we hoped for.

[quote user="Lehaut"]Having lived in a village for over 20 years in France, we have also had the opportunity to do lots of touring either in a camper or motorbike.

We are in the process of swapping country life for the city again having bought in the agglomƩration of Nantes. Small enough to not be intimidating, big enough to have culture. Shops within walking distance, trams, trains, buses and cycle lanes all nearby. Not too cold in winter and for me, not too hot/windy in summer. So far its all we hoped for.[/quote]

Plus has the tram and the university.

But is the airport going to be built or not?

I wish Lehaut all the best...city /town living rocks in France.

NOW, I should not let the worlds best secret of France out of the bag, but given the thread I will do.

In terms of Nantes, google 'SucƩ-sur-Erdre'...and click on pictures. That is 10-15 mins from the centre of Nantes.

You can live rural and city and the same time. I would live there tomorrow. I dream.

I would argue that this is the best place to live in France...especially if you like sailing/boating.

30 mins from La Baule as well !!!! Google La Baule.

<<30 mins from La Baule as well !!!! Google La Baule. >>

Such memories! I first went to La Baule aged 13, didn't know places like that existed, being used to Roker and Seaburn beaches in NE England and the chilly times we had there. I was on a school exchange to a family in St Nazaire and visited all the beaches in the area, had a wonderful 3 weeks.

QUOTE mint

I was thinking of the one to the north of Nantes that they were all demonstrating against a few years ago; at Notre Dame des Landes.

END QUOTE

Well we that live to the south of Nantes are in no hurry to see THAT one built, mint. It will take twice as long to drive to from the Vendee as the present one...

I certainly understand that ALBF, I used to be told I was talking nonsense, knew 'od all but never stopped me.

And LeHaut, we would have made the same sort of move if we had stayed in France, as far as I am concerned, good move and hope that you enjoy it.

As far as we know, the airport to the north is going to be built. We don't want it, but for purely selfish reasons. Our flat is on the 5th floor with an uninterupted view of the Loire (300 meters away) and the planes fly past our living room windows, can barely hear them, but they look so cool, day and night. Our neighbour even texted us to look out when the Beluga came in - thus making a mockery of the belief that large planes cannot land at Atlantic!