Using your hands........... when talking

idun

I don't need my hands to speak.

Reporters holding their palms upward and then looking like they are weighing something........ what is that NONE SENSE about?????????

I know someone who signs and teaches it but WHY would anyone who is speaking need to gesticulate.........

All I can think of is, and to show my age, Lenny the Lion[:-))]

The french love to make not only hand gestures, but use their shoulders too, galic gestures, but why? I don't understand that either.

And I just loved the way Trump said to the Japanese PM, I'll be with you 100% and has his thumb and forefinger in a big fat ZERO. Not the first time he has done that[Www]

I think some people just naturally use more body language than others, it's done unconsciously. As a whacking generalisation I would say that the English are more restrained than most nationalities in their body language when talking - but that's a problem for TV because you don't want to look like a talking stick. Talking sticks are not interesting for viewers to look at. So they consciously try and make some gestures, probably because their producer tells them to, but as you say it doesn't look natural.

I must admit I tend to instinctively warm more to people who seem to throw themselves into what they're saying, than to people whose brain and mouth seems detatched from the rest of their bodies.

I warm more quickly to facial expressions, it just feels to me like someone, especially reporters, who are lenny the lioning, that they are just hiding an inadequacy, ie lack of vocabulary, and worse still, an inability to reason and report properly and blather on.

Does someone really think that they look like they are weighing an invisible small sack of spuds in their arms, patting, strangling, that really is a strange one, that I should believe that their words have more gravitas???? I never do, and my thoughts about such movements distract me.

I do wonder if french journalists are so fond of huge mikes in their hands, and that is to keep their hands still, so that we take them more seriously????

[quote user="idun"]

And I just loved the way Trump said to the Japanese PM, I'll be with you 100% and has his thumb and forefinger in a big fat ZERO. Not the first time he has done that.

[/quote]

He has the fingers on his other hand crossed behind his back.

That zero sign with his fingers seems to be a long-standing habit. And he doesn't have any more signs in his repertoire. Except maybe a finger pointing upwards.

I think he's actually not all that bright (about the same level as Cameron.)

I've noticed that I use a lot of physical signs when I'm talking in my garbled french to french people, hoping they're more likely to understand me.