the job description of le président de la république

Many moons ago, I posted that I'd read (never claimed that it was my sole opinion) that the post of president in France is constitutionally one of the most powerful in modern Western democracies, more powerful than the Prime Minister in the UK and more powerful than the president of the United States of America.

All I got ("got" ALBF) was derision and comments along the lines of are you mad.

Alas, I can't find the programme on line but this morning, there was a programme on France 24 about the role of the president and that of the prime minister in France.

Guess what, it was as I thought, head of the legislature in France, appointer of the prime minister, head of the armed forces, the police, security services, the diplomatic service and something like the second prince of Andorra and also something else in Rome.

It was all there, very well explained.  As for the prime minister, he is just there to carry out the president's wishes, a sort of aide de camp, I guess.

The programme was called French Connections and it was on just before 11 am.

Ok, I have come back here partly to say I told you so but partly so that anyone who is curious and who wishes can look it all up for themselves.

Footnote to my above post to explain why the French president has so much power.

When de Gaulle set up the fifth republic, he deliberately concentrated power in the hands of the president to avoid the splitting up of the job of government along party lines and sectarian interests.

He thought that having an all-powerful president would lead to strong government.

[quote user="Chancer"]

And as we prepare to say au revoir to the current encumbant ...... [/quote]

If that's what you wanted to do you should have posted your intentions last week and I could have invited you down to our place and you might have been able to do it personally.

Our next door but one neighbour is a retired senator and earlier this week Le Flan himself turned up for lunch at his spread along with 40 other guests, 25+ motorcycle gendarmes, half a dozen armoured saloons, an ambulance (discreetly parked) and numerous thug looking heavies. Chaos all day trying to manoeuvre around the jamboree.

So now you know how your tax €'s are spent.

We do know, of course, that whilst they are president, they would not have to face any legal actions.  I suppose that was a big reason why Fillon would not stand down.  Had he made it to the presidency, all those fraud charges would have been dropped until he left office.

I was immensely surprised to learn also that it was almost impossible to impeach a French president[:-))]

Two good things I have heard repeatedly from french friends, who are NOT fans of Hollande...... and that is that they believed he was good after the Charlie Hebdo attack and by sending troups into Mali, which they believe has helped curb the islamists terror groups in that region to some extent.

Not much I grant you for a quinquennat, but at least something.

NOW if someone could tell me of one good thing that Tony Blair did that did not have dire consequences for the future of the UK...... I would rather like to know.

dire consequences as the financial crash, and house prices going through the roof..... so no wonder grand parents are the new baby sitters, sitting on the over priced properties when all too often their kids or grand kids(but grandparents are OK) cannot even get on the housing ladder as homes at say 3 times the national wage no longer exist.

Yes, id, he was very statesman like after the CH attacks and I felt he was effective in calming down what could have been riots or even counter-attacks.

Actually, you were the only person who agreed with me about the French president having immense constitutional powers.

Also, id, I was sceptical when you said Macron might have a real chance so humble pie here........you were right!  Now, in view of the alternative, I am a huge Macron supporter.

Bliar did make the peace process a major priority of his government and worked hard to bring it about, with Bertie Ahearn, George Mitchell and Bill Clinton and many others, not forgetting Mo Mowlem.

But it's often forgotten that John Major helped to develop a framework for the peace progress.

I never claimed he was solely responsible, but it was a key driver. Tony Blair did some good things and made some mistakes. I know he wasn't everyone's favourite flavour, just as Maggie T wasn't either, but they both had good leadership qualities..something I don't see in any of the politicians today. I do think Macron is promising.

Sitting up in bed this morning in our hotel in London I saw part of a news item showing the early morning queues snaking round the buildings; French people waiting to vote in the presidential election. I suppose they would mostly be voting for M. Macron.

His choice of people for his cabinet so far is interesting, no doubt to appeal to a wide range of views. I really wish him good luck.

I didn't think he'd named anyone yet?

People have different views on whether you need someone with good leadership skills in charge. Personally I think you do, but theta aren't the only qualities you need.

Yes, the French in the UK voted overwhelmingly for Macron in round one, so there's no reason to think they would change now. I also really hope be can pull off half of what he is promising. I think he's the best hope.

It would kill you not to bring in, somewhere or other, SW France, wouldn't it?

So here goes, in the hope that it would shut you up but not really believing that that would happen.

Here in the South-West, we are all red-necked ignorant folk, nothing like the sophisticated and educated people in Paris.  We are stupid as well.  British immigrants (expats in your book) overrrun the place.  What French there are have been completely outnumbered.  The place might have a few fairly pictureque villages, but there is very little else of note.  There is no culture, no class and everybody, especially British people here have no idea whatsoever of the "real" France, nevermind the real world.  There is nothing attractive or remotely appealing in the life-style and all our houses are worth next to nothing.  There is no conceivable reason why anybody would want to live where we do.

If I have left out anything, albf would no doubt soon tell me all about it.

[quote user="mint"]No, never been there, never even been to your favourite Dordogne village, Eymet.

[/quote]

I've been there, wont be going again though, it was a very long way to go to pick up my Tesco's order, a drive to Calais and then a boat ride is quicker and cheaper. [:D]

Just trying to give ALBF's notions some validation you understand!

Oops, I did leave out some things, sorry!

None of us who live here can cook and, when we do try out our limited skills, we rely on "food vans" to deliver our marmite, our bisto and, of course, our baked beans.  That is, when we aren't queuing up to buy fish and chips from the chippie van that drives all around the Dordogne to serve us intellectually challenged folk.