Moving to France alone

Rosie,

If you are going to be reliant on UK source income, financial considerations should be near the top of your list of concerns, with the £ in rapid decline and approaching parity with the Euro. Many currency analysts are forecasting the £ to go below parity early next year. Hopefully, in a couple of years once the financial markets have a better idea how Brexit will pan out the £ will recover, but meanwhile I fear we are in for a rocky ride.

Also if you do move to France, I would strongly recommend you rent before you buy, not just because of the poor exchange rate, but that buying and selling costs for property in France are a lot higher than the UK and it can be difficult to recoup your investment if you decide you want to move or return.

Sprogster wrote : I would strongly recommend you rent before you buy, not just because of the poor exchange rate, but that buying and selling costs for property in France are a lot higher than the UK and it can be difficult to recoup your investment if you decide you want to move or return.

Wise words, with which I wholeheartedly agree.

Sue

I think a lot of people doing this rent from other Brits / negotiate holiday lets out of season. As you say Patf, the rules make it very difficult to secure a nice mainstream rental without a permanent job in France, agencies and professional landlords won't entertain you. My plan was to rent initially, but it turned out so much hassle that in the end I lived in a motorhome for a few months before I was ready to buy.