This is one for Chancer

mint

[quote user="suein56"]Mint wrote : Sue, you have given me just the right ammunition to write to them............yet again! Mint who are you writing to ? Follow your own advice and do nowt. Mint wrote in reply to Chancer : As advised by you, I have told them that this is my last contact with them as I no longer wish to continue to respond to their communications. IJ have no legal leg to stand on and you have long since left SFR. As you say technically SFR owe you money !! Sue[/quote]

Just throw everything that you recieve in the bin from now on including LRAR's unless they are a convocation to a tribunal which they wont be.

Their tactics work for 99% of the French who meekly pay up or do so with letters of outrage, they will be throwing everything but the cheques in the bin, you should do the same, this happens millions of times a day, every time someone changes supplier its a leaving present from the old one, they are all like it sadly.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mint whilst I would not go along with Chancer's advice to chuck all correspondence from either SFR or IJ in the bin I would agree in principal with his beliefs.

The letter you have received from IJ was it sent to you by registered delivery ?

If not then it is just a try on.

And, as Chancer says, many people will fearfully pay up.

If IJ had the necessary approval of the Tribunal then you would receive any correspondence from them LRAR accompanied by a court document.

The law says :

Une notification au contenu légalement encadré.

Le créancier, ou son mandataire, devra adresser débiteur une lettre comportant l'ensemble des éléments stipulés à l'article 4 du décret n°96-1112 du 18 décembre 1996, réglementant l'activité de recouvrement de créances, c'est à dire (extrait du décret) :

Le courrier devra être transmis par lettre recommandée avec accusé de réception.

Whatever you have received from IJ you can ignore totally - legally * - and continue to talk to SRF if you wish. You only start to worry if it arrives LRAR with court approval.

Then you pay up unless you are happy to go to court and fight your corner.

* Le débiteur n'a aucune obligation d'informer le mandataire (souvent, la société de recouvrement) des transactions ou négociations en cours avec le créancier, et il peut donc l'ignorer totalement.

So the choice is yours. If you, and perhaps your husband, cannot face the long haul of ignoring IJ until they go away - and they usually do (especially for sums below 200€*) - then pay up.

*200€ is usually considered to be a minimum below which a perceived debt is not often chased.

Edit : Forgot this bit - if IJ keep sending you ordinary letters hassling you then you can react by 'porter plainte' against them.

"La fréquence et le contenu des courriers de relance appellent à une certaine vigilance, le débiteur pouvant, en cas d'excès, déposer plainte pour harcèlement. "

Sue

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]@ Chancer You are becoming more anti France anti French with every post. Calm it down a bit. Some of us have lived here a lot longer than you. If you are not happy, move on. You are talking nonsense BTW.[/quote]

2/10

Must try harder!

Sue, thank you so much for the further advice.  I cannot tell you and all the others how uplifted I have felt by your continued support and helpful comments.  To think that so many of you have come forward, spent time looking stuff up, posting with reassuring messages, I feel very lucky to be the recipient of such concerned sympathy[kiss]

I WAS beginning to feel a bit cornered and anxious.  But now...........pppfff!  No, it wasn't by lettre recommandée and, as you have said, I do genuinely owe SFR nothing.

In fact, after reading all your comments and putting my letter in an envelope to send to SFR, I am going to leave it where it is, in my out tray! After all, I have never had one word of acknowledgement to the 2 letters I sent, simply got repeated bills.

I became so relaxed after your reassurance that I made some scones to have with a cup of Yorkshire tea that someone had kindly brought me a box of last week!

Not going to be bullied or intimidated.  The sum was for 63 euros, no explanation as to why 63 euros, no breakdown about what was included so no way of really arguing about what I purportedly owe.

I don't need to try harder Chancer, I gave the right answer in the original thread.

You yapping on about your opinion of France is not really helping matters to be fair. Your advice is prejudice against France for whatever reason.

And please don't right one of your essays​ in response. i ain't and nobody else will read it. Lol.

Ah Mint you have reminded me of smthg important that I forgot to add.

Namely IJ's letter is just a try on - and many people will pay up at this point in fear of perceived repercussions - and the proof is simply in that they have not included a proper statement of the SFR bill plus an account of their (IJ's) charges. Without that - plus the fact that the letter was sent by normal post - is the proof that their letter is not a legal bill in any way shape or form.

IJ and similar companies are the veritable spawn of the devil to honest folk who do their very best to follow the 'rules' imposed by the likes of SFR, Orange, Free or whoever when they want to end a contract.

Sue

• 4 months later...
Well mint can we assume unless you have wi-fi access from your prison cell[:D], that you have managed to avoid the clutches of SFR and IJ? I am wanting to switch from SFR to a new supplier, but not sure I want all the hassle that you have had. Saying that the service from SFR is appalling with the Internet connection disconnecting several times a day now. Add to this their massive price rise then I must bite the bullet and move to somebody else.

I am looking at Orange or Bouygues, I guess that lots of people out there will have good and bad opinions of both companies. My neighbour has Bouygues and is very pleased with the service, and we used to have Orange, and I must say that their service was far superior to SFR.

Sorry to say, Grecian, that I have had no phone, no internet, no nothing all day[:P]

BUT, it wasn't just my line, there was something wrong with the whole network for miles around.  Just been restored and now it's late and am too tired to respond to all the emails that have accumulated.

No regrets at all changing.  So much cheaper and to have free mobile access is wonderful.  Not sure how many minutes per month but many more than I shall ever need as I have phone phobia and use the mobile only under extreme circumstances.

It WAS quite a hassle changing but I got there in the end with the help of a French neighbour, NormanH and the most knowledgeable Sue56[:D]

Go on, give it a go, Grecian!!!  How's that for a bit of alliteration?

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]@ Chancer

You are becoming more anti France anti French with every post.

Calm it down a bit.

Some of us have lived here a lot longer than you.

If you are not happy, move on.

You are talking nonsense BTW.[/quote]

The expert has spoken LOL

new, it was once probably before you were born LOL It dug out a huge tree root and did a new sand filter fosse in under two days. 3.5 ton just rips through the ground. It only cost 3000 sterling.

out of curiosity where have you been peeking LOL

If you had done your job properly you would know there is a new red Alfa as well. lol

Landscaping, do you mean weeding lol or is it the flower box in Paris.. Talking about working for cods sake has shut up his mobile fish and chip shop, not sure if its because he has made his fortune or whether he ran out of customers. That's a possible new venture for you. chancer would probably jump at it but he is too busy looking to expand his hotel group. I heard from lea Marriot her dad has a hotel group not sure if you have heard of them. Apparently chancer offered his skoda , two buttons and a tour of northern France as down payment on the hotel chain lol

Chancer is very unhappy with the success of the current business, he is having to work which is what he came to France to avoid, not only that but work hard, Chancer now has a new found respect for housewives/househusbands which must include ALBOF but it is not for him.

Chancers new strategic plan is to create an airport parking empire to serve regional white elephant airports that have no passenger flights and are unlikely to ever have them, they were built with optimism (AKA bulls**t) and EU funding and no commercial potential whatsoever so its entirely appropriate that the infrastructure be expanded in the same manner by a deserving individual.

Knowing my luck after another 12 happy carefree years the wheels will fall off and it will become a success [:(]

Now now children, you are just jealous that I managed to retire at 40.

The thought of having to clear up used condoms from under beds or trying to pass off a pile of stones as a house to scousers does not inspire me come out of retirement. Forget fish and chips....I am not wearing a hair net. It would clash with my converse.

I think Chancer you should sell your business to the Mulliez family. You might have to Google that one Leven.

I retired at 44 ALBOF, despite my best efforts to avoid work and making any money somehow it all went wrong at 55 [:(]

Thats already more years than many people enjoy when retiring at the normal retirement age and more than most will get when they have to work till 80 to pay for us all, plus retirement and leisure is wasted on old fuddy-duddys, I know what I am talking about because now I is become one [:D]

• 3 weeks later...
Wish me luck mint, I have signed up with Bouygues, mainly on price really, not sure that is the best way to select an ISP, but as mentioned previously my neighbour is very pleased with the service he receives from them. My new Bbox arrived today, but at the moment my line has not been sorted, so I cannot activate my account.

In the cancellation letter that I am sending to SFR I am refusing to pay the 45 euros cancellation fee, as they have changed my contract yet again just recently. They increased my bill by another 5 euros a month adding some more TV channels that I did not ask for, and do not wish to pay for, so as they have broken my contract again, I am within my rights to cancel within the stated 4 month period. I guess they will not see it that way, and I suppose in due course I will receive a letter from IJ. I will just refer them to you mint, as you are obviously the lady to sort out SFR and IJ.[:D]

Bon courage, Grecian!  It will all be fine.  Refuse to pay, refuse to reply to bills.  Once your line is taken over  by Bouygues, they can no longer threaten to cut off your service.

If you have been paying by direct debit, cancel that immediately. 

Ignore any letters from IJ.  Do NOT contact them in any shape or form, no phone calls, no letters, no emails, nowt!

Can't claim any credit for any of it really.  Look at the REAL experts who advised me: Sue56, Norman, Chancer.  Formidable! and I was a conscientious student, c'est tout[:D]

• 3 weeks later...
I have to report that at the moment we are still in the clutches of SFR, we have our new Bouygues Bbox up and running and are paying for both SFR and Bouygues unfortunately. We lost both telephone and internet connection for five days, whilst Bouygues were changing over the line from SFR.

The question that I have to ask now is how do we get our return label from SFR? I have read on their website that SFR should comply with our cancellation instruction within 10 days, and that we must return their equipment within 20 days. It says that they will supply a pre-paid return label, but it doesn't say how we will receive the label. My account is still accessible and in my space personal there is a button to click on 'Etiquette retour équipment', when I click on this button a message tells me that there is a error, and I cannot access instructions. Whether this is a ploy by SFR to try and charge us for the equipment because we will not have returned it within the 20 days I do not know.

So bottom line is how do I receive the pre-paid return sticker and address as to where to send their equipment. We are now on day 9 since they received our cancellation instruction, so the clock is ticking.

Grecian, Sue's advice to me was to phone client service, their 4 digit number will do, and ask for the résiliation team and then ask those for the labels.

What I did, however, was to email them to request the labels and they emailed the labels for me to print out.  BE SURE that you keep the receipt (I've still got mine) because, speaking from experience, they will deny over and over again that they have not got their equipment back.

I had to quote to them the date and time the stuff was signed for by them and still they persisted in their denial for quite a bit longer.

DON'T GIVE IN!  Do as they do, every time they ask for money, just repeat the date and time on the signed receipt that came back to you from their depot.  It's a war of attrition but sit tight and eventually they will give up.  When they realise that they are wasting time and money on someone not willing to play ball, they retire to their own corner and you will be a free man again![:D]

Thanks for the reply mint, is there any chance that you could post the email address that you used please, I have looked all over their site and I just could not find an email address on their site. Like you I have a phone phobia, although mine is not so much a phobia, more the fact that I cannot really understand what they are saying to me.[:D] My wife if far better at understanding what they are saying, but unfortunately she does not do hassle very well, so email would be the best route to go down.

One day I will be a free man.[:D]