Au Revoir!

I have been a member of this Forum for over 13 years, having been a French home owner for a couple years longer and all that came to an end this week when the proceeds of my French house sale finally made its way to my bank account 12 days late. But that is another story!

I will still be a lurker and occasionally contribute whilst my French home owning experience is relevant.

Main reason for selling is that with children/grandchildren now on a different Continent that is where I am spending more time.

Main lesson learned and advice I would give to anyone considering purchasing a home in France is rent before you buy. Not only because homes in France can be a difficult to sell in what is a challenging property market, but also because buying and selling costs are so high that if you decide you made a mistake and want to try a different area, you are likely to be left substantively out of pocket when you come to sell, if indeed you can.

Main difficulty is the language, which I found gets worse as you get older!

Biggest unrealistic expectation was the Winter weather, which I found even on the Med much wetter and colder than expected. So if avoiding Winter heating bills is an objective, France is not the place!

Last but not least France has got expensive, especially in the south, something that struck me when I went to Spain recently for a short visit and was surprised how much cheaper things were like a glass of wine!

I will miss my little piece of heaven in France, but life is short and new adventures beckon.

Bon chance and have a great festive season.

Good luck

But I disagree

"Biggest unrealistic expectation was the Winter weather, which I found even on the Med much wetter and colder than expected. So if avoiding Winter heating bills is an objective, France is not the place! "

Here in the Aude it never rains

"Last but not least France has got expensive, especially in the south,"

Dead cheap here

I have lived in France 21 years Correze , Pays Basque Aude what a dump and now moving back to the Bearn It's madness returning to the UK

Good luck from me too Sprog. I know just how stressful the move is and you have all the sympathy I can spare!!

As

for 'a dump' Well, any place is what you make it and if you think dump

then that's what you get. I spent 1 1/2 very happy years in Singapore in

the late 60s and came back with almost nowt in the bank. I also know a

lot of ??? that came back with several thousand ££ in the bank from what

they saved by having a miserable penny pinching time there.

They

hated it, I loved it. They too said it was a dump. Who were the losers,

not me I can assure you and from my 13 years in the Aude it is

anything but a dump!

How can you tell anyone else that it's madness to do anything GAM if you have no idea as to why they are doing it. Generalizations are always wrong..

I for one am probably as mad as a hatter, but I try not to be stupid and we decided that it was time for us to move back. In that case it would have been beyond madness for us to stay and we are happy with our decision.

So no Brexit worries for you Sprongster, at least not like some in the other post where I gave of my opinion..

As I said in that post, circumstances change.

I am not yet ready to up sticks, and certainly hubby is not, but I have not turned my back on a return to the UK at some point because of age, family or whatever, and no I don't like the litte Englanders either.  Fortunately none of my family are Brexiteers and we are all furious about Brexit, but I do miss seeing them.  It will be that, and the French inheritance rules which make me go back, if that time does come.

Meanwhile, bon retour, and do keep popping back from time to time.