Brits in France

NickP

ALBF is generalising again, implying that all Brits, except him, are identical and fit one mound. That is, of course, as saying that the French (all) tailgate, drive around blind bends on the wrong side of the road and eat exclusively in Mc Do. The truth is that individuals vary. There are many incommers who pay over the odds for their properties and there are others who go the extra 500 miles to believe that they are saving money. They are not the same people. I know British families who have expensive homes and spend a lot of money locally. I know others who bought bargain hovels who refuse to pay the market value for anything. The world and expat France is full of individuals but that of course would spoil so many of ALBF’s theories.

We have bought and renovated two houses here and 90% of the materials have been sourced here, the other 10% has come form the UK or elsewhere in the EU. Things like paint, light fittings, blinds, taps and any power tools are cheaper and of better quality in the UK or say Germany so it would be nuts (IMO) not to take advantage of that. A case in point - needed to replace the kitchen tap last week, Mr Bricolage wanted 145E for the same tap that we found on Amazon.fr (German import) for 62E.

I bought a Batman 'talking mask' in UK for £19.95 at xmas from Amazon.

The same mask....in France 68 euros !!!!

Flipping rip off this country.

I wear it when mowing the lawn. Scares the shît out of the neighbours.

As requested, Euro lottery numbers tonight.

6, 9, 10, 44, 48.

Stars = 5 & 9

Enjoy your retirement to the Dordogne when you win LOL. Hope you like duck.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I bought a Batman 'talking mask' in UK for £19.95 at xmas from Amazon.

The same mask....in France 68 euros !!!!

Flipping rip off this country.

I wear it when mowing the lawn. Scares the shît out of the neighbours.

As requested, Euro lottery numbers tonight.

6, 9, 10, 44, 48.

Stars = 5 & 9

Enjoy your retirement to the Dordogne when you win LOL. Hope you like duck.[/quote]

A fool and his money... I saved even more by not buying one at all. Nice for you to live somewhere warm enough to have to need to mow the lawn between Christmas and now.

Ooooh......your just jealous because you don't have a talking Batman mask. I can understand that. Mine lights up blue when you speak.

Actually it was a present for my boy. I don't want you to think I walk around all day with a Batman mask on.

BTW...lawn mowers make great vacuum cleaners in the Winter. You probably don't know that because it rains from September to June in Brittany.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Idun said..

"I have seen a lot of France, not all, but I would not move to Alsace or Lorraine, for Franche Comte for that matter, all of which I have visited "

The question I have to ask is why ?

People move to to France for work or retirement.

In terms of work, then you have no choice. In terms of retirement, then France is your Oyster.

Personally, I would not move to Brittany, Normandy, or anywhere in SW France. I really don't see the attraction. For me they are just boring places to live.

The regions of Alsace, Lorraine or Franche Comte are so much more interesting on every level.

Let's be clear though, if I was in the UK.....I would not move to any part of France. Maybe Paris, Lyon or Marseille etc. Stuck in some rural village....no thanks.[/quote]

I love the northern coast of Brittany. And I really like the bretons, no brainer for me and as we love the sea and that was one thing we really did miss when living in the Alpes,  and would suit us.

So IF we moved back due to brexit going nene's up, that is where we would go. AND ofcourse, life anywhere, is what one makes of it.

Also, I would go and chat folks up in various Mairies and see what was what, I am very chatty and would glean lots of info. And where ever, would have to be a town though with services.

There are many places in France that I would visit for a holiday again. Some, I would happily avoid.

Like chosing a significant other, who is to say what attracts us to a particular person or to a place for that matter.

See, ALBF, whether I'm buying a watch in Hong Kong or a house in France, I do my research before I buy.

By the way, I don't know how familiar you are with the Far East generally, but in broad terms, whatever the price in any shop, that won't be the price you ultimately end up paying.

In France, we bought a house that had already been largely renovated by the previous French owner. OK, it had curry house wallpaper and cat-sick pink tiles in the bathroom, but was otherwise pretty much walk-in ready. Did we pay too much for it? Who knows? I only know that apart from general maintenance and changing the decor to something we prefer, it has cost us very little over the past 15+ years to keep in good condition. It's cost us substantially less that we would have spent if we'd bought a similar house as a wreck and done it up, that's for sure. If we sold it, we might or might not make a profit, but as we didn't buy it for that, it's not an issue. I don't gamble, hence your euromillions numbers are irrelevant to me, but if I did gamble I'd only bet what I could afford to lose. It's worked for me through life up to now.